the new eco barrens of Chile and South America

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
admin
Site Admin

the new eco barrens of Chile and South America

Post by admin » Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 am

Thought I would share this article on the wires today:

http://www.watoday.com.au/executive-sty ... -b9yk.html
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

busybee88

Re: the new eco barrens of Chile and South America

Post by busybee88 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:43 pm

Greetings. I KNOW that I, being American, come from the land of consumption (eg electric clothes dryers!) and waste. However, having spent 2 months here in Chile, I see the following 2 needs:
1. education of the public to reduce use of plastic (especially shopping bags)
2. creation of infrastructure that would allow #1 to occur (eg recycling system for plastics other than bottles that are "retornable"... it is virtually impossible to buy water in a bottle that is recyclable! Though I know I should carry my own bottle, but I haven't learned yet if I can trust tap water from Santiago faucets, nevermind LOCATING a public drinking fountain!)

SO, my big question is, is activism (particularly, the grass-roots kind) among the youth of Chile (eg ages 14-30) something culturally appropriate?!!!
Thanks much for any feedback and pointers to Chilean groups whom I may contact to either help as a volunteer or network with.
Saludos,
Blisseth

RWS

Post by RWS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:14 pm

busybee88 wrote:. . . . is activism (particularly, the grass-roots kind) among the youth of Chile (eg ages 14-30) something culturally appropriate? . . . .
It's becoming so. Were you aware of the wide-spread student protests in (if I remember correctly) 2008?

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:27 pm

No longer relevant

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:06 pm

There should be a clear instructions where your floor's garbage chute is that glass and other similar recyclables are NEVER TO GO DOWN THE GARBAGE CHUTE! You place them next to the chute where they are picked up every so often by the cleaning persons. Please stop before the conserges and native residents determine it was some badly assimilated gringo that has been doing this departamento living no no!!
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

maxine

Post by maxine » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:18 pm

At my son's nursery they are very aware of recycling and looking after the planet. It may be a small step but all big things start like this and teaching the young is a great start. I recycled in the UK but quite half-heartedly, if I'm honest, but coming to as country where it isn't quite such an issue has made me more aware of it. I think Chile is heading in the right direction but it will take time.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:59 am

No longer relevant

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:13 am

Yeah, Chilean check-out staff don't take well to being told I don't need a bag (for our large collection). They tend to look at me strangely and put it in a bag anyway. If it's small enough, sometimes I can grab it and put it in my back pocket first.

James.

ak405

Post by ak405 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:29 pm

First I want to start by recommending the bags that Gloria sells.
http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/post ... ria#p21077
I've had mine for nearly a year and they show zero wear (I walk 10 minutes with them full).

Also I know Jumbo has a reusable bag program, at least here in Antofagasta. If you shop there and care about the environment, ask about it.

:idea: Don't forget to tip the bagger at the supermarket!
jehturner wrote:Yeah, Chilean check-out staff don't take well to being told I don't need a bag (for our large collection). They tend to look at me strangely and put it in a bag anyway. If it's small enough, sometimes I can grab it and put it in my back pocket first.

James.
James if they put it in a bag after I say I don't need one - doesn't happen often - I just take it out of the bag and leave the bag behind. 8)

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm

I think most students are more concerned with getting a job than recycling. People worry about the big picture after their basic needs are satisfied.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:57 pm

But the original article is about "millions of hectares worldwide that are being bought by business leaders", and about "national" vs. "private" parks issue in Chile, and not about plastic bag recycling. Anyone has a private park (here, in Chile)? Seriously?.. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Actually we have several clients with lodges and just private land that are what you could call private parks. Most are not the size of small countries granted, but they tend to range between about 100 to 2000 hectares. Often they include trails, signs, long-term management programs, and most where specifically purchased because they have endangered species. Don't forget the fly fishing lodges. Many own thousands and thousands of hectares, so they can protect them from overfishing. Rather than the fish being wiped out and the trees clear cut, they really only take a handful of fish a year out of the streams for a few clients. Otherwise they are basically just protecting the land so as not to mess with the watershed.

We also know of lot of conservation organizations that get very little press, but own thousands of hectares of property in the South of Chile. There is one near Futa that besides conserving the forest, has done things like paid for a second English teacher for the local public school and other things.

So, there are lot more private park type things going on. I bet you for every hectare that the guys in those articles own, there are 10 hectares that are owned for conservation purposes by smaller investors and tourism type companies.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.