Dogs on the streets

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
wedding photographer Chile

Dogs on the streets

Post by wedding photographer Chile » Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 pm

While there are many people in chile on the bread line, there are also thousands of dogs abandoned on the streets....the chileans are freindly and loving of there friends on the streets with 4 legs and being compasionate to the dogs is a positive thing when seen through the eyes of the locals...paints the gringo in a kider light...so i exposed a property in valparaiso housing over 500 dogs and 100 cats in horrible conditions...my video hit CNN and the local councils relocated them to a great facillity as well as USA viewers sending over $30k to help...This means less dogs on the streets and less poop for people to step in...littles acts like this go a long way down here...be bold and take one on

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: Dogs on the streets

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri May 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Every time we travel from our isolated world down south to big towns or cities (in Temuco now) I am reminded of the horrible conditions some street dogs are in. For such a wonderful country, so advanced in many ways, it's a horrific shame how some of these animals are left to die slow, horrible deaths of diseases, starvation, abuse or being hit by vehicles. I am going to start carrying my camera with me from now until I return to Futa and start taking pictures of some of these poor critters. I would like to see veteranarians take up the Spay/Neuter crusade which would be a wonderful start. I saw a dog in Puerto Montt as we were getting ready to get on a bus north...this dog was so thin it looked like his legs might break, and he had mange, or some kind of skin disease. I gave him the half of a sandwich I had, and then tried to not cry as I got on the bus. Just one of way to many abandoned animals.

I understand the quandry about providing money and care for dogs when so many children are not getting medical care or proper food. But I don't think it has to be an either or. That's why I say that it should be a crusade led by vets. The vet in Futa carries her equipment to spay/neuter with her everywhere and operates often on kitchen tables in her clients houses.

My camera isn't great, but I can start a spot on my blog to post them as I go. Did you post your video on youtube, or your site so that we can watch it?

AussieMum

Post by AussieMum » Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 pm

See this is something that I know that I will struggle with. There are really no stray animals in Australia. They get collected by the council and then the RSPCA- They also push the spay/neuter of animals here. I have a cat we will be brining with us- He is an indoor cat that is desexed and has been microchipped. If it is in large numbers there is not a huge amount that they could do except collect and put down a lot of animals. Do people have to register their animals in Chile? maybe this might be a way that lots of people will not just take on an animal without being able to care for it.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 pm

AussieMum wrote:... an indoor cat that is desexed and has been microchipped ...
desexed and desighted
deeyed yet excited
dearmed or deminded
by whom are we guided?..
:alien:

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Fri May 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:... I gave him the half of a sandwich I had, and then tried to not cry as I got on the bus ...
For it was the wrong half of a sandwich?.. :)

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri May 15, 2009 10:17 pm

...ah Rune...it was the only half. Sometimes that's all you get. Half.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri May 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Rune, I don't think it was the wrong half of the sandwich. Each half would be a right half to a dog that was hungry. :)

TalTal108

Post by TalTal108 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:20 am

AussieMum I saw this special on TV which was on Australia and the wildlife there. They said that the cats population is out of control and are killing the native species. So they are basically on a mission to eradicate all the ferille cats.

TalTal108

Post by TalTal108 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:15 am

Has anybody seen the video of the dog being hit by a car and then another dogs sees the other one lying there and rescues it by dragging it to the side of the road? Amazing.... :alien:

RWS

Post by RWS » Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 am

It was, indeed, "TalTal". An AllChilean posted a link to that video some months ago.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat May 16, 2009 7:36 pm

mlightheart wrote:Rune, I don't think it was the wrong half of the sandwich. Each half would be a right half to a dog that was hungry. :)
Did you mean, the right half of the sandwich went to the dog? In such case, the other one, that had been eaten by Vicki, was the wrong half of the sandwich. Hence, she tried to not cry as she got on the bus, right?

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sat May 16, 2009 7:39 pm

- how're you doin', brother cat?
- not a 'cat' without that..

- how true! and so am I
not a dog without mine..

we can't dance nor can we sing
when we miss much needed thing..

where's your knife, vet, kill us, please
there's no life without this.. :)