VOLCANO ERUPTS IN PATAGONIA, CHAITEN / FUTA EFFECTED

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Laura55llc

Re: VOLCANO ERUPTS IN PATAGONIA, CHAITEN / FUTA EFFECTED

Post by Laura55llc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Chaiten volcano erupts again in southern Chile

26 minutes ago

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — Officials say scores of people who had returned to a Chilean town destroyed by a volcanic eruption are being evacuated again as the volcano roars back to life.

The presidential delegate for the region says an explosion has rocked the dome of the Chaiten volcano and sent volcanic material down the mountain's slope, threatening to block a river and cause flooding.

Paula Narvaez said Thursday that as many as 150 people will be removed from the town at the foot of the 960-meter (2,700-foot) volcano.

Some residents of the town have resisted government efforts to move them to a new settlement following a devastating eruption last year.
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Harrington's volcano blog...http://volcanism.wordpress.com/category ... s/chaiten/....

Dr. Harrington wrote to tell me it appears to be a sizeable event and he is currently trying to connect to the camera page to see what it looks like there.

We're fine here, just sick at heart. Futa was really making some great progress and the First Annual Kayak/Rafting event was/is scheduled for this weekend.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 pm

EMOL says they're evacuating. Good luck.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/nacional/d ... cia=345364

James.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:43 pm

No way!!!!!!!

The dome collapsed it seems.

We just spent last week helping organize the permits for the concert at the end of the Futa fest, and we where even planning to go ourselves but ran out of time on our trip to the Patagonia.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Someone sent me this link to the camera page (maybe best not overload it though by reloading it a lot):

http://www.aipchile.cl/camara/detail.php?cameraID=116

mcplaza

Post by mcplaza » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 pm

As some of you know, I went to Chaiten last october to see the destruction the volcano has caused.
We are going back in March and I wonder if Chaiten will still be there.
For those of you that live close to this area, good luck and remember, respect the power of the nature.
About the events in Futa, are you cancelling or postponing or neither.

Regards,
Marcelo

mcplaza

Post by mcplaza » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Based on the last images from the camera, it seems the situiation have improved a lot.
The sky is clear now, just like it was in October 2008.

Good luck !
Marcelo

Kel

Post by Kel » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:31 pm

I've spent most of the summer near Futaleufu. Last Thursday, the volcano erupted again and we experienced about an hour of total darkness requiring flashlights at high noon. We also got about 1mm of ash dusted on everything.

Having said that, I am very optimistic about the situation in Futa. Most of the summer was beautiful! We had clear air and sunshine nearly every day. We had a few days when the wind kicked up the ash but overall it was nearly as beautiful as ever. After this latest dusting, the city sent two water trucks around and guys with hoses sprayed off every concrete street in the whole town! They even sprayed off our car with a big grin. They had guys with power sprayers cleaning the ash off the bushes in the plaza. Pretty amazing how fast that had it ship-shape again. So out of the whole summer,we had two days when we needed to wear masks. Not to bad.

The tragedy in Chaiten has actually been good for Futa because the many services, previously available in chaiten, such as a Notary are now available in futa.

The bad news is that they expect this volcano to erupt for a number of years--perhaps 10 years. The dome is unstable and a reliable source told me that a crack has opened up in the valley between the dome and Chaiten that is spewing steam and a little lava.

We visited Chaiten a week before this latest eruption. We have friends there whose house has 5 feet of ash in all the rooms. Its very sad. The government has officially decided not to rebuild the town. The rumor from good sources is that the government will buy all the houses (mandetory) and bulldoze the whole town to prevent lawlessness. There has been an ongoing problem with looting. There is no judge in the region so if they catch someone, they can't lock them up without a judge. So they are getting turned loose again.

Its obvious that they don't have much time to build a new ferry dock. The ash has created a plane that extends for maybe 1/2 mile out into the bay. There is a sad house sitting in the middle that is nearly in tact. It washed out to sea with the flood. The ash is rapidly encroaching on the Ferry terminal. It is rumored that they have nearly completed a new ferry dock near Santa Barbara. However, this latest eruption has raised the question of whether Santa Barbara is far enough away from the volcano should there be a catastrophic eruption. It is only 6km or so up the Caraterra from Chaiten.

There is a dear lady in Santa Barbara that now runs a hospidaje called Patitos. She used to own a grocery store and other stores in Chaiten but nearly lost everything except her home in Santa Barbara. Its a huge two story house with a neat view of the bay.
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:51 pm

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley

Kel

Post by Kel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Those pictures are amazing.

In the last two hours we've have two earthquakes. These were the same jolting type of earthquake we felt before the very first eruption. No sign of an eruption on the webcam.

kel
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

KarenDionne

Post by KarenDionne » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:03 am

I am doing research for a novel and planning a trip to Chile April 20 - 29 specifically to visit Chaiten Volcano. I have located a guide, Nicolas La Penna, of Chaitur Excursions http://www.chaitur.com/index_en.htm who will arrange lodging for me in Chaiten and take me and my traveling companion to within 2 km of the lava dome. I understand Chaiten has no city services, and am fine with that. I will be staying in Chaiten approximately four days.

Any tips, warnings, and advice would be very much appreciated.

Karen

<LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN>

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:14 am

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, normally I simply ban anyone that spams the forum like that in their first post. In this case you got lucky because Nicolas is a friend of mine. So, watch the links until you have 10 posts.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.