VOLCANO ERUPTS IN PATAGONIA, CHAITEN / FUTA EFFECTED

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Liz

Re: VOLCANO ERUPTS IN PATAGONIA, CHAITEN / FUTA EFFECTED

Post by Liz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks Vicki!

Much appreciated. That's incredible that the ferries are running... but I guess that would be a severe lifeline cut if they stopped running them. Hmmm. Thanks for the offer to help arrange transport. My husband has our car and would come get me, but I thank you very much. I agree... I am interested to see it first hand. Hope to meet you down there in the future...
Thanks again for the prompt reply!

Liz

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 pm

From a 1/27 translation of a SERNAGEOMIN report:

"The seismicity associated with the eruptive cycle of Chaitén volcano has decreased in the number of events, which suggests a continuation of the extrusion of viscous lava, but with a lower emission rate, in comparison to the past week. However, while the growth of the dome continues, it may generate new collapses which will, possibly, affect the heads of the principal valleys.

In consequence, bearing in mind the persistence of seismic activity associated with the growth of the erupting dome, with the consequent generation of block and ash flows, SERNAGEOMIN maintains Volcanic Red Alert."

I certainly feel deeply for the people in and around Chaiten who have lost homes, business income and their way of life, however to say "open for business" seems a bit irresponsible...with a smoldering, blowing volcano less than 8 kilometers away. I have not been a doom and gloom alarmist during this unique time, but it is a very volatile, dangerous and unpredictable situation in Chaiten. Any invitations to come and stay should be accompanied by the latest SERNAGEOMIN report.

helibel

Post by helibel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm

I think many Chileans are so used to the constantly smoking Volcanoes like Villarica and Llaima and others that smoke or erupt relatively gently that it is hard to understand that this is not your typical Chilean volcano. This caldera volcano has the potential to be a catastrophic climate changer, most likely a huge explosion won't occur (any time soon), but it could and Chaiten would be in the path of a major pyroclastic flow. Even if nothing MAJOR happens, until it quiets down, Chaiten remains in the path of lahars, and flooding and further damage to the infrastructure will occur. Those who don't take it seriously are fooling themselves. And nothing should be built on that unstable volcanic mud.It is probably safe to pass through quickly, but Iwouldn't sleep there.

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Hey Vicki
new news about Futa at :D http://volcanism.wordpress.com/
Hope this means a gas station and better prices on flour!

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Wow! This would be a mixed blessing! I'm still considering what this might mean.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

So, it seems Futa is the capital of Palena.

Yea, I think the last people to get that news where the politicians in the Capital. Anyone that knows the simple logistical and communication challenges of the region knew Futa was going to be new capital. There just was nowhere else to go.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:56 pm

The news in Spanish:

http://www.lasegunda.com/ediciononline/ ... cia=463064

'tis confirmed by several sources. But kudos to Helen, all the way up and over in Puerto Rico for the scoop! Good eye Helen. A Pulitzer to you!

helibel

Post by helibel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Ahhhh Thank you Vicki, since this thing started I have the DGAC and Volcanism blog almost as wallpaper and I tell everyone, who comes in my office and says"watts that?' I have a good "Friend" in Futa and I worry about her. I saw that post within 4 minutes of it going up. As I told Vicki in a PM the good good news is that if Futa is getting this "honor" it means the "big boys" believe Futa is safe, Yeah!!!!!

I wonder about a port,though, will they still use Chaiten or build a new one somewhere?????

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 pm

helibel wrote:Ahhhh Thank you Vicki, since this thing started I have the DGAC and Volcanism blog almost as wallpaper and I tell everyone, who comes in my office and says"watts that?' I have a good "Friend" in Futa and I worry about her. I saw that post within 4 minutes of it going up. As I told Vicki in a PM the good good news is that if Futa is getting this "honor" it means the "big boys" believe Futa is safe, Yeah!!!!!

I wonder about a port,though, will they still use Chaiten or build a new one somewhere?????
Interesting you mention the port. I predicted the probability that Futa would be the Prov. Capital. Not that Chaiten would be here, but the capital. I always thought that relocation of people from Chaiten and a town would be different from relocation of the Provencial Capital. Now...here's my next prediction...Raul Marin Balmaceda will be the new port if it isn't in Chaiten. I say this because there are no major roads north of Chaiten connecting that area to the rest of the provencia. And if the volcano continues to be unpredictable, it makes no sense to move the port north. South of Chaiten....the next port would be Raul Marin Balmaceda...a protected port with a newly built road which appears to be constantly improved, along with new bridges. A ferry runs from Raul Marin across Rio Palena then only 70 kilometers to La Junta. There is no other established port north with roads not in affected areas of the volcano, and the next port south is in the next Region (XI) and would be Puyuhaipi or Puerto Cisnes, both in Region XI. Chaiten may continue to be a port. But how to support a port area without warehouses, diesel pumps support services on a full-time basis with no assurances of continuity? We'll see!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:08 am

There was some chit chat a while back in one of the papers about the port inside Pumalin where Tompkins has his ferry landing. He was even interviewed and seemed to inviting the idea of some sort of expropriation by the government if they would agree to building some sort of sustainable community inside Pumalin. I believe he was going to close the visitor center inside the park anyway for good.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:49 pm

The Volcano appears to have blown again. It is one oclock in the afternoon and we are in complete, COMPLETE darkness.

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Does anyone have links or an update to this? 9000 years since it erupted and now twice since Vicki's been there. I know people are thinking of you Vicki and Greg, please keep us posted.
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley