VOLCANO ERUPTS IN PATAGONIA, CHAITEN / FUTA EFFECTED

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: VOLCANO ERUPTS IN PATAGONIA, CHAITEN / FUTA EFFECTED

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Aahhh! That was the first snowfall after the initial ash fall. Just a little thank you advertisement for being our information life-line during the "episode". While on our recent trip south, we met a woman in Puyuhuapi who lived in Puerto Ingenerio Ibanez during the eruption of the Hudson Volcano eruption. She said it took three years for the area to recover, but added that they had up to a meter of ash. Not sure if that is correct, but if that was the case, Futa should be almost completely normal come next spring.

Water trucks continue to traverse the unpaved streets dampening the ground, keeping dust blow to a minimum. Street work continues even today, some Saint Immaculate Something holiday, while slightly tipsy huasos ride around town shirtless and shoe-less on sweaty horses. Just an observation. Lots of families enjoying the chilly Rio Espolon as the temperatures hover in the high-80'sF.

We met a couple of truck drivers on our journey who were from Chaiten. They insist that the new Chaiten will be in Santa Barbara, north of the volcano and still on the coast.

Rafting companies are geared up, and the first wave of back-packers are appearing (though not as many as I recall last year). February 20-22, Futa will host the first White Water Rafting Festival with races, music, and other activities. February and March are also months for rodeos, Founder's Day Parades and Picnics along the Espolon River.

93 octane gas in Coihaique (how do you say that: coy yike way?, or coy yike aay?) was 530 a liter...La Junta 605....Futa 1,000.

RWS

Post by RWS » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:. . . . Coihaique (how do you say that: coy yike way?, or coy yike aay?) . . . .
"coy-AYE-kay".

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Gracias RWS for the pro-nun-ci-a-tion!

As we come quickly towards Christmas time, the water trucks are burning up fuel to keep the streets dampened down, and frankly, it's just not enough to keep up with the sun and wind. The government keeps telling people there is no danger in the ash, but the number of people experiencing respiratory problems (persistent pneumonia - does inhaling ash compromise the lungs abilities?) and pimple-like cysts inside eyelids (?the inner eye lid trying to heal over ash particles) is common. Personally, I have suffered both the pneumonia and eye problems. No fun, and costly. Not pretty either.

Roses are all in bloom, and it's beautiful when there is NO wind. But it doesn't take much to whip up a mean ash-devil, and don't even think about hanging clothes on the line...not unless you want to wear ash in your pants.

Today was hot, and windy. But we can't open the windows in town because of the ash swirls. Out in Sector Azul, going towards Santa Lucia and onward has almost no ash, but it is also dusty and dry. From Lago Lancanoa coming towards Futa and out toward El Limite (the border) is again, unbearable, with the Espolon Valley taking the brunt of the situation.

Vicki

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Yesterday, Sunday, around 4 pm, coming back in from the campo in Azul we were greeted by a high haze that grew thicker as we approached Futa. By the time we reached Valle Espolon, we could not see the surrounding mountains. Volcan Chaiten apparently erupted again sending an ash plume eastward towards us, and Argentina. Today is windy, and it's hard to tell if the ash is from the new eruption, or from the remaining previous fall. It is utterly amazing to see people, children going up and down the streets with no masks or eye protection. It is almost unbearable right now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:40 pm

man, that volcano just will not give Futa a break.

Hopefully, the rainy season will come early this year. The area needs at least one more good year of heavy rain (perhaps some flooding), and little cooperation from the volcano. I believe it was the year before that futa got like the 25 year flood in early Dec, and all the rivers where pushing their banks.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:31 am

yea, that is got to be one of the most beautiful and creepy photos I have ever seen.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

helibel

Post by helibel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm

there was a pretty good sized "EVENT" today. Luckily (well for Futa) it appears to be all blowing North. I wonder how it is at Pumalin park?
http://volcanism.wordpress.com/

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:16 pm

dang, the thing just will not quit.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:56 am

12:45 am...I sincerely hope that I am just paranoid, but eight months ago I started this thread not knowing what the strange "bump in the night" was all about, and just now, another, very similar jump-jolt occurred. The town is absolutely silent, no traffic, or trucks, no music going on...and as before, this was not the usual earthquake shake. a jump.

I'm up, watching all the joyous hoopla over tomorrows festivities, and listening to the radio online. I am checking on earthquake sites, and the volcanism blog, but no reports of anything yet. Hope I'm wrong, and just all jittered up about a new prez!

helibel

Post by helibel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm

here are some stunning images of the dome event on the 19th. Thank god the plume was over uninhibited territory! People would be dead.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Natura ... p?id=36725

RWS

Post by RWS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:13 pm

helibel wrote:. . . . Thank god the plume was over uninhibited territory! People would be dead.
I'm restraining myself.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 am

helibel wrote:here are some stunning images of the dome event on the 19th. Thank god the plume was over uninhibited territory! People would be dead.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Natura ... p?id=36725
Helen...incredible photo. While we felt jumps here, there was no new significant ash fall. The areas around Chaiten which would be significantly affected by the volcano have been evacuated. It's interesting that the port of Chaiten continues to run ferries now, when in the course of just minutes and hours, this volcano could do something again, more devastating. I wonder where this plume settled? We did not see it here in Futa. It is my understanding that there are two hotels in Chaiten hosting "guests"...how smart is that? Asinine is what I call it...to give people the option of staying in town? For what? Money? Convenience? No...it's money. And it's irresponsible.

There are people who have gone back, for the reason everyone tries to go back...home, deliberate hard-headedness, and then there are the first responders and the Navy folks. I think that if there were no ferries running, and no other people there, there would be no need to put the Navy, and first responders lives in danger. But homes are still there, and I understand not being able to let go of a life and home.

It is a good thing though that the collapse of the dome, and the plume of ash did not descend onto populated areas.

Also...the "weather station" I thought was built in front of the hospital in Futa is in fact a air-quality station. I don't know where we can find the info that is gathered from it...but there it is!