The Damned Issue!

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Seabee

Re: The Damned Issue!

Post by Seabee » Thu May 12, 2011 5:23 pm

They also changed the lyrics of the Chilean National hymn!
"puro Chiiile es tu cieeelo cableaaado, puras toorres te cruuzan tambien, y tu campo de fieerros forjaados, es la copia feliz de hidroaysen" !!
"We build, We fight"

john

Post by john » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Seabee wrote:Author Mary Anastasia O'Grady is a member of the editorial board at The Wall Street Journal.
Is this the same woman who never met a South American fascist she didn't like? :roll:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Post by john » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:47 pm

Oops! How did seebee's name show up?
:oops:
--- Bertrand Russell

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 am

Personally, I do not have a problem with any North American NGO's countering this project. After watching the HydroAysen ads on tv, more power to them.
I also find it hypocritical that Endesa states that it is not cost effective to use solar power here in Chile yet in Europe Endesa is building a huge solar grid that is sourced in North Africa to provide power up to and including Scandinavia.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:49 am

yet in Europe Endesa is building a huge solar grid
How much of it is Endesa paying for? In other words, how many direct & indirect subsidies is Endesa getting from EU and the like? Quite a lot, I assure you, otherwise they'd lose massive money on the project because solar power is much too expensive to sell at current rates, even the high rates for electric that prevail in Europe. Of course, Europe makes US look financially responsible, and Chile has a balanced budget....so I guess that's why solar isn't cost effective in Chile, but "works" in Europe, at least for now.

John Hyre

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Here is one link. I originally heard about this a few years ago and I heard that Endesa was was driving the train so to speak. With the political instability in North Africa, things may have changed.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... .windpower

John - You are correct, I am sure that there has to be EC subsidies to get this project built in Europe. However, I'm not so sure that this dam project is going to meet the proposed budget either or how long it will take. does it even consider the cost of the power line grid?

rasmataz

Post by rasmataz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:30 pm

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:39 pm

However, I'm not so sure that this dam project is going to meet the proposed budget either or how long it will take.
Valid point. Anytime any government is involved, all bets are off. Though to date, Chilean govt seems to be more fiscally sober than EU, or most of its members.

John Hyre

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:56 pm

I tihnk it is a shame that it has turned into a political right vs. left battle. Hydro power is clean energy and as such should be (in my opinion) supported by the environmentalists.
I am aware that is has an impact on the local nature, but what are the realistic alternatives? Wind and solar are complimentary energy sources (and expensive) and will not be able to fulfil the needs in Chile, so additional energy needs to be generated. If it can't be hydro what then? Carbon, nuclear, gas are the alternatives...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Seriously?

This is not about Chile's poor. Who is paying off the WSJ for such obvious corporate BS. What is rather interesting, it is the same BS that the pro-dam politicians in Chile have been using. It is not even an original PR release (as opposed to news).

Legit opposition to the dam is one thing, but attacking the supporters is a rather freshmen use of a genetic fallacy being passed off as news.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Dams are forever ;)
It's all about the wine.

john

Post by john » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:40 pm

nwdiver wrote:Dams are forever
Naw! Only diamonds are forever. :wink:
--- Bertrand Russell