Puma found dead in Temuco

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
Britkid

Re: Puma found dead in Temuco

Post by Britkid » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:24 am

Thanks for your comments, interesting.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

ocum_et_temuco

Post by ocum_et_temuco » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Where i live, just outside Temuco there are pumas. A local university did a study couple of years back and found evidence of at least 23. Local people have reported sightings at dawn when a puma was seen to have crossed a road to go onto farmland. I have seen evidence such as droppings and large paw prints. I've also followed their tunnels-like trails through low thick foliage- when I go into the hills I usually carry a big knife. Around our house, the dogs regularly alert us to the presence of 'something'. At night, with a powerful flashlight I've caught reflections of green eyes in the brush without being able to discern the shape of the animal. Last year we found one of our dogs mortally wounded with a bite which broke a rib and punctured a lung. She died some hours later at the vet. Another dog (not ours) was recently found dying nearby with its throat torn - it died later. I personally don't feel threatened even walking around at night but I have dog proofed my fence so my dogs can't dig under it and escape. Just something to consider if you do live in a semi wild area - protect your animals and your children.

papageno

Post by papageno » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Depending on one's locale, it's not just pumas: search "jabali conaf"and two articles from soychile come up, about the wild boar problem in Parque Nacional Puyehue, the more recent was from September 29.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Pumas very rarely attack humans me thinking, but the wild boars be very careful of them.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

GringoVikingo

Post by GringoVikingo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm 100% agree with admin.
Just to say! How many people have been killed by a puma in Chile the last 100 year?
Thanks for info, didn't know El Jabali existed in Chile
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
"George Carlin"

papageno

Post by papageno » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:51 pm

Wild boar, European red deer, beaver, California quail, various species of trout--all introduced. These days, Chile has more quail than California--by a long shot. And occasionally, one of our (North America)pumas eats someone (documented).

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:42 pm

The Puma in Chile thou one of the largest subspecies in the world is not known to ever attack people........ on the other hand the ones on the West Coast of Vancouver Island attach people all the time and have killed several children in the last 10 years, when a study was done and the aggressive nature was found to be genetic, it was thought an import of a group of Puma from the Sierra Nevada where they are very cautious of humans, it was stopped by the "greenies" who saw it as genetic meddling...... which is what it was but to benefit the locals of Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park.................. No its not a food issue the area is overrun with black tail deer.......
It's all about the wine.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:04 am

nwdiver wrote:The Puma in Chile thou one of the largest subspecies in the world is not known to ever attack people........ on the other hand the ones on the West Coast of Vancouver Island attach people all the time and have killed several children in the last 10 years, when a study was done and the aggressive nature was found to be genetic, it was thought an import of a group of Puma from the Sierra Nevada where they are very cautious of humans, it was stopped by the "greenies" who saw it as genetic meddling...... which is what it was but to benefit the locals of Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park.................. No its not a food issue the area is overrun with black tail deer.......
That is very interesting.