Gay Family (4 children) moving to Santiago?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
momof3

Re: Gay Family (4 children) moving to Santiago?

Post by momof3 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 pm

The current president is working on it though http://www.santiagotimes.cl/chile/human ... nd-of-term
We agree to disagree.

Post by 09910745 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 am

Does no one else have any thoughts?

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 am

09910745 wrote:Does no one else have any thoughts?
Yes, I do. I think you are going to do just fine. I think if you and your family get to Chile, you will face all the same issues every other family has faced moving there, and that while you will be a bit of a novelty at first, it will be a wonderful experience.

griffin

Post by griffin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am

Two thoughts: one, we have a forum member, PadreCristobal, who helps run St. George's as part of his job as a priest at Holy Cross. At one point he offered his services as a contact with St. George's, but he is not involved with the day-to-day operations. You might consider contacting him via PM about any concerns you have about social issues for your family at that school. He seems like a nice person.

Second, if you are looking for non-religious schools that value diversity and tolerance, consider schools like the German and Italian schools. Your children should be young enough to adapt to the new languages. I have had good experiences with the German school in La Serena. Their tradition is to teach tolerance, honesty, solidarity etc. from an early age, and they have an hour a week set aside for that purpose. When kids have problems amongst themselves, they actually have the kids sit down and talk about it, often with the a school psychologist present. The teachers seem to really care about the social environment of the kids, and get the parents involved too when appropriate. Religion is usually an optional class at these schools and is basically non-denominational Christian. My kids are not the only ones who opt out.

I can't speak for schools I haven't been part of, but your family would be accepted at our school, curiously at first, certainly (hey, I'd be curious too, since I've known a few gay people but none with a family yet) but we would get used to you pretty quickly.

Good luck whatever you decide.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

As with anywhere there is a Gay community in Chile, it’s just closeted as pointed out above, think 1955 New York. I believe the educated part of Chilean Society is more cosmopolitan and accepting of differences than the blue collar level of society. You may find you have to alter your behaviours, but its thier country not yours and if you have a problem with that, don’t relocate.

Schooling has been discussed repeatedly on the forum, search through it see the prices and ask specific questions. For a totally non religious school a Waldorf School is being set up in Santiago, but that’s going from one doctrine to old RS’s ideas of child development, which I have seen work very well up to a point.
It's all about the wine.