flavor

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
wineman12

flavor

Post by wineman12 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 am

What is the American spice or flavor that you miss the most.

wineman12

Re: flavor

Post by wineman12 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:09 pm

The reason i ask this question is that my wife and I own a store that we have had for 23 years.We make some of our own products,such as bread,Balsamic reductions,etc.We will be moving there soon and I am trying to get an Idea of things people like that our cooking skills could bring.If the Admin.would allow me I could post our Facebook page and website.

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 pm

American sausage (we have to bring the spice in), Dill pickles (don't care for the German ones at Jumbo), Bagels, sweet pickle relish, baked beans. We'll try to think of more.
You can find a lot of stuff nowadays, it's gotten a lot better than when we first moved here. But new sources and better selection are always welcome. Realistically I don't know what kind of sales you can expect as I recall folks catering to the expat market seem to struggle.
You wouldn't happen to make Velveeta would you? :wink:

Naolin

Post by Naolin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Aysen wrote:American sausage (we have to bring the spice in), Dill pickles (don't care for the German ones at Jumbo), Bagels, sweet pickle relish, baked beans. We'll try to think of more.
You can find a lot of stuff nowadays, it's gotten a lot better than when we first moved here. But new sources and better selection are always welcome. Realistically I don't know what kind of sales you can expect as I recall folks catering to the expat market seem to struggle.
You wouldn't happen to make Velveeta would you? :wink:
Funny enough I just ran across a recipe for velveeta last night. I'm not sure if they sell colby jack anywhere here, but heres a link to the recipe so you can play around and see how close you can get :)
http://www.fromaway.com/cooking/how-to- ... can-cheese

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks Naolin. Take the afternoon off, eat a cheeseburger.
I am gonna try this!

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks for your input.No we wont be trying to much for the expat.market we are pretty realistic about that.Its good to know that things are becoming more available.he last time I was back six years ago the pizza crust was pretty so so every where I went and the burgers had an odd flavor.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Anything other than manjar in pastries.
Caribbean flavors. Any. Jerk and adobo are the most common.
BBQ
Jalapeño
Ok, enough self flagellation.
We agree to disagree.

bearshapedsphere

Post by bearshapedsphere » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:06 am

I imported Vietnamese cinnamon the last time I came back. The cinnamon here is another variety, and doesn't taste much stronger than cardboard.

The availability of most raw products has really improved, processed ones as well. I almost can't even think of anything I still miss, but maybe that's because I've been here for so long!
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 am

How about cuts of meat?I remember the Chileans were loco for hot dogs,even on the pizza.Can you find a rib eye or maybe some pastrami?I remember the meat being very irregular,But I loved the goat splayed on a sheet for sale on the side of the freeway on the way to La Serena.

griffin

Post by griffin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:06 pm

The only cut of beef I have ever seen here with a bone in it is ribs.

I have seen pastrami in Unimarc in the packaged deli cuts, but it was too expensive for me to want to buy it at the level of quality the prepackaged stuff usually has (nothing wrong with it but nothing special either).

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:24 am

As I remember it is an odd cut of ribs too ,not a St.Louis cut or anything like that.On the other hand I was thinking of Clean flavors I miss here.Chacarero,Carquican,Hallullas,Pan Amasado,Casuela.etc.My Chilean wife makes all of these as well or better than in country,but I sure would miss them otherwise.I guess it works for any culture.

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 am

How about Sur-gel? We never see anything similar here and we sure would like a local source.