Pain Medication

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Maker42

Re: Pain Medication

Post by Maker42 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm

admin wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Maker42 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 pm
I suggest switching to cannabis for pain management. In my experience, it's more effective than opium based pain killers, not harmful like opiates, and non-addictive. Probably vaping is better than smoking. Once the oils pass the smoke point temperature, carcinogenic compounds are formed. The only drawback is that you have to grow it yourself in Chile.
Which if you are caught in chile and are lucky, will just get you thrown out of the country.
I've read that personal use and possession has been decriminalized. Is this mistaken?

https://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/chi ... uana-laws/

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm
Maker42 wrote:
I suggest switching to cannabis for pain management. In my experience, it's more effective than opium based pain killers, not harmful like opiates, and non-addictive. Probably vaping is better than smoking. Once the oils pass the smoke point temperature, carcinogenic compounds are formed. The only drawback is that you have to grow it yourself in Chile.
And no side-effects, right?
Like opiates, cannabis can cause some dizziness and lethargy. Fortunately the side effects stop there, whereas opiates have many more extremely harmful side effects. Studies have shown that growing brains (<22 females, <25 males) can be harmed by smoking cannabis. Other studies have shown that in mature brains, cannabis has a positive effect, enhancing neuroplasticity and memory. Of course if you smoke it, you get all the harmful side effects of smoke in the lungs.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm

From a visit to a grow shop, lots of gray areas so that I share admin's warning that this is an area an extranjero should leave to the citizens to mess with as legal guinea pigs. The correct way to go about it is to go through an organization in Chile (they have all the contact info) to get some sort of medical permission to "legally" grow your three plants. Any other way and you a risking your freedom or residency in Chile. The non-intoxicating oil is legally sold though and I understand that is where most of the medical benefits lie.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

needwaterandpeace

Post by needwaterandpeace » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:09 pm

EEUU, THC developed a bad reputation historically (as the recreationalistas abused it). However, there is medical benefit to both THC and CBD. While THC is NOT recommended for those who are 25 years and younger (i.e., while the brain is still developing), for mature adults (whose brains are fully developed) it is now thought that THC can regenerate lost neurons (benefiting Alzheimers, Parkinsons, closed head injury, stroke patients, etc.). (That is why it feels loopy and uncontrollable, is that new neural pathways are being fired.) So in spite of past abuses, it has important medicinal benefits for anyone needing to regenerate lost neural pathways (which is a lot of people).

CBD is newer on the medical scene. It is enjoying good press right now because it does not make one loopy (or what loops there are, are more easily controlled). It can relieve spasm-like conditions such as epilepsy, and also autism spectrum disorder (including Aspergers). It can kill many cancers, and more. Many Western medical doctors are against cannabis, as it removes the need for many Big Pharma chemical medicines (and eats into their profits--follow the money trail).

About oil extracts, they much are better than nothing! However, it is now thought that there is a Gestalt-like "entourage effect" when the whole plant flower is used. Meaning, the greatest benefit is to be gained not in extracting the CBD and throwing the rest of the plant away, but in finding a plant that has a profile similar to what you need, and then using its whole flower as an herbal medicine (swallowed, not smoked or vaped). For one example, a newer strain called Charlotte's Web was designed originally for epilepsy patients, but it also works well for autism spectrum disorder. It is 1% THC and 20% CBD. However, rather than extract the 1% THC and 20% CBD, put it in <SPAM WORD> form and throw the rest away, many people believe it works best as a whole flower extract, in its natural form. Like a medicinal herb. Not only does one get the 1% THC and the 20% CBD, but one also gets all of the beneficial terpenes, cannabinoids, bioflavinoids, etc.

The debate rages on. Some people believe fresh-grilled free range chicken is better for you than processed textured vegetable protein. Other people prefer powdered milk, powdered eggs, and reconstituted powdered cheese to a fresh-cooked omlette. And I remember when some people thought Pillsbury Food Sticks would eventually replace cooking... (I guess it is their life...)

While CBD does help deaden pain, it does not match the same level as opioids. If you have surgery (or other serious cuts), opioids kill pain to a much greater degree. (CBD would only take the edge off.) If one is an afficionado of natural medicine there are other natural pain killers out there (wild lettuce, etc.), but they are outside the context of this thread. And, as Admin pointed out, cannabis is presently illegal in Chile. I hope this is helpful to someone.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:18 am

Maker42 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm
admin wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Maker42 wrote:
Which if you are caught in chile and are lucky, will just get you thrown out of the country.
I've read that personal use and possession has been decriminalized. Is this mistaken?

https://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/chi ... uana-laws/
I open up the news paper this morning and there are the pacos with a table full of siezed marjuina. If they legalized it, seems the police sure did npt get the memo.

That article is complete bullshit.

Yea i keep having this argument more and more with gringos being told by chileans or reading in the international press that are supporting the pro-pot legalization movment, that it is legal. It is not legal.

My favorite was the call we got from an officer in OS-9 (chilean swatt team). He had a gringo in custody at a bust that did not speak spanish. The gringo had our phone number for some reason, and gave it to the officer to call us.

So my wife gets on the phone and talks to the gringo. Gringo is telling us that it was just for medical reasons and that his chilean friends all told him it was legal.

So my wife goes in to criminal defense lawyer mode, even though she does not do criminal defense work. The guy was not going to find another english speaking attorney in the next 5 mins, and she told him he would have to find another attorney ASAP that handled criminal defense work.

There is one free lunch in criminal defense work, and every good attorney knows it. It is convincing the arresting officer not to book the suspect. After that everything gets way way more complicated. It is a one shot deal, that only happens in a few hours after the arrest.

So my wife is going on and on to the officer about how he did not know, it was all a big misunderstanding, it was just for personal medical use, the guy had back pain, bla, bla, bla.

The officer stops my wife and says, "mam, i don't think you are understanding the scale we are talking about here. We are at 50 large 2 meter tall plants and still counting, in a fullsize industrial greenhouse."

My wife told the officer to put the gringo back on the phone, and she told the gringo just coperate with whatever the police ask for.

But all that time, this guy is insisting on argueging with us about how medical marijuana is legal in chile and they can not do this.

Guess what? Marijuana is illegal in chile. The guys with body armor and automatic weapons kicking in the door might be some sort of hint that it might not be very legal. At the very least it is not worth getting accidentally shot over if it is all just a big misunderstanding as the gringo was claiming.

Needless to say that gringo is no longer in chile, and will not be back anytime soon. He had to sell everything including his property, house, cars, etc at firesale prices. The prosecutors were sufficiently kind to offer to let him leave the country for good and never come back. Couple months later immigration officially cancelled his perment residency, and he is flagged at the boarder to never be allowed in the country again.

It is not legal. You can not grow it. You can not move it. You can sell it. You can not posses it. There is no "legal" allowance for medical reasons in chile.

The bullshit that is going on with the cities growing it is simply a political protest of one part of the goverment producing it in hopes that it will add pressure for the legalizatiin nationaly. Basically one portion of the goverment is politly ignoring another part of the goverment's illegal activities. It is like certain cities dont enforce building permits or water rights or parking, either. That could all change with the political winds.

As a foreigner, you are not equiped to step in to that political dog fight, and if you did, it would likly not be very helpful to the legalization movement.

Stop and think about the neighborhood chile has had to deal with for the last 50 or 60 years. What were all the foreigners involved with drugs doing in chile?

Nothing good.

There are whole lot of laws and policies that are still very high priority related to drugs in chile, that were targeted at foreigners and the drug cartels.

I had some gringo the other day asking about investing in a medical marijuana buisness in chile. Just sending a wire or transfering money to the company was a mountain of fellonies. The law does not distiguish between hippy stoners and cocain drug cartels.

But again, they insisted on argeuing with me about it.

People use to call my father up from jail, that was a criminal defense lawyer in the states, and ask, "they cant throw me jail can they"?

My father would ask, "where are you calling from"?

Jail.

Guess they can.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 am

In short, as a foreigner in chile, there is whole diffrent set of consquences.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:57 pm

So is Chile going to emulate a la Uruguay for the use of Mari-Juana para todos ?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

needwaterandpeace

Post by needwaterandpeace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Admin, I can’t post links, but the Wikipedia article, “Legality of cannabis by country” (incorrectly) shows Chile as allowing medical and medical cultivation.

needwaterandpeace

Post by needwaterandpeace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm

It also says, “In 2005, Law 20.000 formally decriminalised private and personal cannabis use.[32] Since 2014, Chile allows the cultivation of cannabis for medicinal purposes with the authorization of The Chilean Agriculture Service (SAG).[33] Cultivation of marijuana, personal or collective, is legal in Chile. The Supreme Court ruled in 2015.[34][35][36] Sale of marijuana-derived medication is allowed on prescription in pharmacies, from December 2015.[37]
Currently in 2016, a regulation bill which will allow Chileans to grow small amounts of marijuana for medicinal, recreational or spiritual use has been approved by the country's lower house of Congress.[38][39]”

I don’t know how to edit Wikipedia, but if someone knows how to set the record straight, it might save some more phone calls like that.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm

needwaterandpeace wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm

I don’t know how to edit Wikipedia, but if someone knows how to set the record straight, it might save some more phone calls like that.
You cannot edit Wikipedia. Although the article 20.000 in the Civil Code of Chile may say one thing, the interpretation by the chilean police will be differently if they see you growing a couple of plants. You don´t live here, nor you know the language or how chilean society functions, so if you intend to smoke or growing the stuff, you´ll be at your own risk not matter how much "water and peace you need".
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Noticed today no allchile forumites present, are they all watching the Russia world cup?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:15 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:11 pm
Noticed today no allchile forumites present, are they all watching the Russia world cup?
Either that or planting marihuana seeds. :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.