Pain Medication

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Blackbear

Pain Medication

Post by Blackbear » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:01 pm

I checked the forum and didn't see this type of information. I am concerned about the availability of obtaining pain medication for my spouse, who is being prescribed some heavy duty stuff here in the US. He will need to be under a pain doctor's care and to be able to continue with what he needs. What is the situation with respect to doctors prescribing narcotic type drugs?

wipeoutlol

Re: Pain Medication

Post by wipeoutlol » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:00 pm

I can tell you right now you'll need a bit more pain medication for yourself for the headache of trying to deal with that.

Depends on what you define as "heavy duty," as well as what the diagnosis is.

Codeipar (30mg Codeine / 500mg Paracetamol) would generally be the medication prescribed.

Got 3 root canals and was told to just take some Advil even though one of them hurt so bad I couldn't sleep for 2 days.

I'd start by getting a list of doctors and go on a road-trip for some doctor shopping. They don't like filling out the special "receta cheque" for any stronger narcs.

Just let the doctor know the patient has been on that specific medication under a physicians care and that it has been working and would not like to change the medication since it has been the only one that has worked. And that pain and suffering is not an option to find an alternative. Most good doctors know not to mess around with changing medications if they don't have a file for you as withdrawals symptoms can be extremely harsh.

Good luck

seawolf180

Post by seawolf180 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 pm

In the last five years:
Total hip replacement.
Cervical fusion.
Lumbar fusion.
Fractured pelvis.
Presently recovering from shoulder surgery.
Great doctors and medicine here in Chile.
Pain management you can expect prescribed from a reputable doctor:
Paracetomol and Ibuprofeno. Over the counter anyway.
Tramadol, which is a fairly mild synthetic opiate, is prescribed by many Traumatologos for severe back pain or post op... Maybe. But usually reluctantly. Very controled now in pharmacies.
Personally I hate the Tramadol shit. Doctors claim it is nonadictive... Bullshit. Be careful with it. Google it, plenty of dependency and withdrawl issues to watch out for. Forums with endless testimonials. Mine included.
I use the over the counter when needed, complimented with thorough physical therapy, Chinese medicine, and staying active as possible. Id rather grunt through some pain than deal with opiates.
I do not know your condition. We are all different. I wish you luck. Bring records and prescriptions from home and develope repore with physicians as needed here.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

Kathy

Post by Kathy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

I am terrified... I am facing surgery for colon cancer and have seen how reluctant Drs in Chile are to prescribe narcotic pain meds. Now, I am not a kid...I'm 63 yrs old....no plans of abusing anything. But, I can't imagine a huge abdominal incision ( I am not a thin person) and a lot of internal manipulation without adequate pain mgmt. I take low dose Tramadol right now....preop. But, can't imagine that even Tramadol would be adequate after major abdominal surgery.. I am from the USA...though I have lived in Chile almost 9 years' Does anyone have any advice on how to handle these Drs here in CHILE. How to plead for proper pain mgmt. I am not new to surgery....I know how miserable you can feel postop. I am also a retired Registered Nurse....and knowing adequate meds are avail is extra frustrating for me.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Oh Kathy....you are just pulling our leg...aren´t ya!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 am

Gloria wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm
FYI: in modern Internet slang your behavior is called "shitposting", i.e. "posting large amounts of content of aggressively, ironically, and trollishly poor quality to an online forum or social network, in some cases intended to derail discussions or otherwise make the site unusable to its regular visitors."

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:45 am

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 am
Gloria wrote:
FYI: in modern Internet slang your behavior is called "shitposting", i.e. "posting large amounts of content of aggressively, ironically, and trollishly poor quality to an online forum or social network, in some cases intended to derail discussions or otherwise make the site unusable to its regular visitors."
Space Cat, your rhetoric is as usual like the title of this topic....a royal pain in the ass! So please consult with your doctor. You may be constipated and in need of an enema.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:58 am

Kathy wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm
I am terrified... I am facing surgery for colon cancer and have seen how reluctant Drs in Chile are to prescribe narcotic pain meds. Now, I am not a kid...I'm 63 yrs old....no plans of abusing anything. But, I can't imagine a huge abdominal incision ( I am not a thin person) and a lot of internal manipulation without adequate pain mgmt. I take low dose Tramadol right now....preop. But, can't imagine that even Tramadol would be adequate after major abdominal surgery.. I am from the USA...though I have lived in Chile almost 9 years' Does anyone have any advice on how to handle these Drs here in CHILE. How to plead for proper pain mgmt. I am not new to surgery....I know how miserable you can feel postop. I am also a retired Registered Nurse....and knowing adequate meds are avail is extra frustrating for me.
Although pain medication is less frequently prescribed here than the USA, for good reason, you will certainly be given adequate medication post op. You should discuss your fears with your Doctor and not here. I have had more than one operation here and pain was always well managed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:45 am

Im about to do a house cleaning of the recent new users making bs post.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 am

This country is not user-friendly to guns or narcotics. I hope it stays that way and that those fu***ed up US values and lifestyles stay in the US where they belong. As Donnybrook stated, pain management is adequate here. Mom had a hip replaced at 84. Excellent surgery, aftercare and results.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 am
This country is not user-friendly to guns or narcotics. I hope it stays that way and that those fu***ed up US values and lifestyles stay in the US where they belong. As Donnybrook stated, pain management is adequate here. Mom had a hip replaced at 84. Excellent surgery, aftercare and results.
none.jpg
none.jpg (13.12 KiB) Viewed 941 times

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Gloria wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:45 am
Space Cat wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 am
Gloria wrote:
Space Cat, your rhetoric is as usual like the title of this topic....a royal pain in the ass! So please consult with your doctor. You may be constipated and in need of an enema.
Ha,ha,haa when Enema administred, then it will become un cagador!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.