Best Private School Options in Santiago

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
mcall

Re: Best Private School Options in Santiago

Post by mcall » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:01 pm

OK so things are getting interesting. My first choice, Santiago College can only accomodate 1 of my 4. Saint Gabriel's has no availability. I will have to call The Grange because of no response. TIPS replied and has openings for all of them. Does anyone have experience with TIPS? It seems like a fine option but I find so little info online and it's mostly from the school not alumni. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

Steph

Post by Steph » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Have you been to TIPS in person? (sorry, don't know if you're still in the states or in Chile already). We loved the look of TIPS from our research online. But, the moment we set foot in the door there, our opinion changed dramatically. We sat down with the principal, who then called her secretary by phone to ask her to come and shut the door which was less than a metre away from us, and that set the tone for our whole experience. She rallied about how the Chilean govt won't recognise TIPS in secondary school, and how since the Chilean system is based on the british system they should not only recognise TIPS but show it as an example of how to do things right. In addition to that it was made clear that parents were not welcome on the school grounds without an appointment, children were to be dropped at the gate and picked up at the gate. But that's no different to most Chilean schools. This was almost 5 years ago, and things may have changed, but in our time in Santiago we found quite a few parents that had made the switch from TIPS and were glad to be done with it. Of course, there were also families that loved TIPS, and others may have had very different impressions from us.

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Similar experience to Steph with TIPS.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 pm

really interesting enrique! I enjoyed reading your insights.

mcall

Post by mcall » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Wow. You're right, we're in the US still. I start January 15 so we've got to get school lined up now. I liked the idea of a smaller school with more attention to the student. Where did you end up taking your child/ children? Would you recommend it/ why? Thanks!

mcall

Post by mcall » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 am

Hello again. OK, trip to Santiago week of Nov. 5. Looking to rent a house and meet with school(s). As many advised most schools haven't had space for all the kids or haven't responded at all. The few that have (e.g. TIPS and Lincoln Intl Academy) I can't learn much about. Any suggestions for how to get local contacts/ referrals or recommendations that open those magic doors? We're really looking for Santiago College or The Grange. Help !?!

Steph

Post by Steph » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 am

I'm assuming your coming on some sort of transfer within your current employment? In that case, does your employer provide you with relocation assistance? If so, that person should be able to get you in the door. Once you're in for a meet and greet, you need to sell the heck out of your kids. Chilean schools (as opposed to int'l) are highly focused on their statistical results. If your kids make great grades, bring the reports with you. Sell sell sell the benefit of having native english speaking kids in the school. Indicate that you think their school is fantastic (and don't mention other schools). Ask about the parent association, and opportunities to volunteer and show solidarity - this is a big deal. They want parents who are heavily involved in social activities and fundraising events, and who don't appear to be plannign to come in and check on their kids or interrupt the flow of day to day school life (you'll be expected to drop your kid off, pick them up, make sure their work is done, and say yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir to any suggestions the school makes). It really makes a big difference - they bitch and moan about anyone that is going to take them out of their routine and way of doing things. So, that'll be their fear with gringo kids. Be subtle about it, but let them know that you are not looking to change the way things are done, and in fact the inclusion of your kids will make their life easier, not harder. Suerte, once you're in, the adventure begins.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 am

That is the reality of good private schools in Santiago; there are more potential students than spaces. If Santiago College and the Grange do not have room you are highly unlikely to even get an interview. The students for 2013 have been selected and incorporation fees paid. If Santiago College has space for one, go for an interview and ask about possible future options for the others. If you want them all in the same school then your choices are more limited. Have you looked at Redland? It is one of the smaller schools with a very nice atmosphere. Dunalastair has two schools, one in Las Condes and one in Chicureo; also a very nice school. They may or may not have room.

PadreCristobal

Post by PadreCristobal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Enrique, thanks for a very honest reply about the state of Chilean education.

Point of full disclosure, as a priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross, we administer Saint George's College. I have some presence at the school, helping with campus ministry from time to time. While I am not involved with the day-to-day operation, but I gather that admissions is complicated, many-are-called-few-are-chosen sort of thing. There are many things that I enjoy and respect about the school, but I do not have the perspective of being a parent. If I can be of any service as a contact with St. George, please, let me know.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Thank you everyone for useful comments, especially for the long post from Enrique. Thanks a lot.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

milita19

Post by milita19 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:47 pm

mcall wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 am
Everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences and suggestions. I have referred back to these many times I've we've started this process. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions to come. Thanks again!
Hello...I do realize there has been a good 5 years from this post...but would you mind sharing what your experience was after this? which schools did you apply and which one did you r children ended up going to? I am going through the same process and any feedback would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Mili