Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Rose

Re: Internet Connection

Post by Rose » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:00 pm

Hello, I just read some article about netflix testing internet users in Santiago and concluding that the best one is VTR if you want to stream. Does this sound true?
Thanks,

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Rose wrote:Hello, I just read some article about netflix testing internet users in Santiago and concluding that the best one is VTR if you want to stream. Does this sound true?
Thanks,
Netflix works pretty good on VTR for me. But I'm in Coquimbo, and it could be different in Santiago. And I don't know how it compares to anything else.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:03 am

I have a lowly 6 mega DSL connection from Vomistar and it works beautifully for Netflix.

Rose

Post by Rose » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:07 am

Thankyou ExpatBob & thisisreallycomplicated

moving_from_colorado

Post by moving_from_colorado » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I have VTR with a 40 Mbps speed in Santiago. Keep in mind that this is the max speed and if you work a normal job and come home and use internet during normal hours, you will never come close to that speed. They always advertise the max speed which really is theoretical. That said, it is not horrible, we can usually stream video without problem. Overall, given where we are, I am satisfied with the service.

Chile-Dog

Post by Chile-Dog » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:52 pm

I am in the 5th region and no hardwiring is available for home use. I use a 4G pen drive from Movistar which works great. Initially had it on computer but bought a TP-Link router which accepts the pen drive, as opposed to a cable. I stream Netflix movies and do USA work from home here with no problems. I had Entel but they have only 3G here in my area. As for satellite usage, I have no experience other than TV.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:03 am

Rose wrote:Hello, I just read some article about netflix testing internet users in Santiago and concluding that the best one is VTR if you want to stream. Does this sound true?
Thanks,
VTR was goodish.

But MTD Menquehue fibre optic was faster.

Never tried netflix though.