Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Fishboy

Re: Internet Connection

Post by Fishboy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am

dw88 wrote:
Tonkinese wrote:Claro i am told is the only internet company that does prepago with a device that connects to your laptop.
its a one off payment for the "Doggle" as they call it in u.k. of 69900peso.Then you buy a normal topup stratch card (per month)
,the same as recharging your mobile.The one month unlimited download fee is 34990ps for 30 days.This is expensive but an option if you cant cant get a connection through your landlord.
This post is 3 years old just wondering what the situation nowadays is like? Looking for an apartment and a few don't have internet and those that do I can't imagine being too fast/reliable. If we can't get landlord to put in internet or if the internet is average is it possible to buy the USB modem dongle thing and is the coverage/connection decent?

Does it help if I have a USB modem already from Australia? Back home I just inserted a prepaid SIM and had pretty strong/fast connection pretty much everywhere, is it possible to achieve the same thing in Santiago?

The cost isn't such an issue as I will be using the internet for business and can write it off as a business expense. So basically just after the best USB internet option.
Can't help you on the dongle thing, but I (and many of my students) tether off smart phones with an existing data plan. I do this when travelling around Chile and it works fine.

dw88

Post by dw88 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Have found a few people using USB dongles but being residents they're on plans, I'm looking more for a prepaid thing. A couple of questions because my spanish isn't at a level to completely understand a few of these websites.

There's entel USB internet:
http://personas.entel.cl/PortalPersonas ... 3855772986

And movistar:
http://www.movistar.cl/PortalMovistarWe ... 7802737428

does anyone have experience with these? also does 7 days/30 days mean from time of activation I have only 7 or 30 days of internet? Or does it mean the equivalent of 30 days online, aka 720 hours? $35.000 every month seems a little steep for internet is all, then again i wouldn't really know :p

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:29 pm

dw88 wrote:Have found a few people using USB dongles but being residents they're on plans, I'm looking more for a prepaid thing. A couple of questions because my spanish isn't at a level to completely understand a few of these websites.

There's entel USB internet:
http://personas.entel.cl/PortalPersonas ... 3855772986

And movistar:
http://www.movistar.cl/PortalMovistarWe ... 7802737428

does anyone have experience with these? also does 7 days/30 days mean from time of activation I have only 7 or 30 days of internet? Or does it mean the equivalent of 30 days online, aka 720 hours? $35.000 every month seems a little steep for internet is all, then again i wouldn't really know :p

We have movistar for work because it has a bigger covereage area, especially in the campo when our guys go on holiday....

If your going to stay in santiago, i would say entel!.....

If you can hold off a couple of weeks/months until virgin mobile realease there products you might be surprised.... in aus they had real good internet offers... not sure if they will here.. but maybe....
(virgin are going to use movistar network)

California South

Post by California South » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:16 pm

zer0nz wrote: If you can hold off a couple of weeks/months until virgin mobile realease there products you might be surprised.... in aus they had real good internet offers... not sure if they will here.. but maybe....
(virgin are going to use movistar network)
Thanks Z.
To that end:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-1 ... erica.html
Stultorum infinitus est numerus

JessiDarko

Post by JessiDarko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Greetings--

Having an internet problem. We're renting an apartment with internet included (the landlord set it up). We have a VTR Cisco Cable Modem (4142? 2124? model? Not sure because I'm not there, because I don't have internet now.)

This worked fine for most of the past month (we've been in the apartment about 28 days.) The modem is weird in that it sets up weird subnets (e.g.: Plugging in via ethernet might give you 192.10.14.x addresses... this changes all the time.)

For the past month it has been working-- we have our devices set up to use DHCP and they get an address. Then today, nothing. The DHCP server doesn't seem to be working. Our Macs set up a self assigned IP address, and there's no router on the other side.

I also connected to the WiFi port on it, using the long established configuration (so, I know the configuration didn't reset because the WiFi network has the same name and accepted the same password as before) .... and nothing. On iOS I can see that its got a bogus address and no router address setup, meaning DHCP isn't setting up the client. But it is logging in, the wifi is indicating a connection, etc.

Is this what happens when the bill isn't paid? All the lights on the cable modem are fine, and indicate that its connected to the internet, etc.... and we've tried resetting the cable modem, including pulling its battery, to no avail. (the conditions I'm describing are after resetting it, though I believe they were exactly the same before.)

Of course the VTR website is in spanish, which is a minor problem, but seems totally set up with the assumption you're running windows (Which we are not, not at all.)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.... we need the internet.

JessiDarko

Post by JessiDarko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:19 pm

More specifically:
The Mac will have show this in settings:
IP 192.254.14.10 (or something else that's self assigned)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: (blank)

The iOS devices show something similar. We're not getting an IP address from the DHCP or a router address, including on iOS using the wifi built into the cable modem (and the name of that network and password have not changed.)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Sounds like the router went bad. Time for a service call. Suerte.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

JessiDarko

Post by JessiDarko » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm

My best guess at this point: In the US the WiFi is licensed for channels 1-11. Wifi base stations pick a channel and then they hop around it ,but they have a main channel. (Eg: the base station might pick channel 10 and then when 10 is noise jump to 9 or 11.) Outside the USA the channels can go up to 13. Possibly in Chile the channels go to 13.... but the US targeted iOS devices only operate between 1-11. So I might connect on 11, the DHCP handshake starts, then the base station switches to 12 due to noise but the iPod doesn't follow it because it thinks only 1-11 are authorized. But other locations use equipment in their standard US configuration which limits the channels and things just work. That's my best guess for what I was observing in the wild.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Sounds like the router went bad. Time for a service call. Suerte.
We solved it but good: we moved to another apartment. (Well, we'd been planning to move anyway.)

The thing is, we've seen this problem elsewhere, for instance at several various wifi spots. Meanwhile others work just fine. I think there is something chilean going on here.

An example: The Wifi offered by the McDonalds in Viña del mar. Attempting to connect to it with an iPod, or iPad results in the DHCP never giving an actual IP address. In this particular example, I was unable to connect for about 10 minutes. They have two networks, one for the restaurant and one for the McCafe next door. After 5 minutes (of the problem I described where the DHCP seems to fail) it connected and stayed connected for about 6 seconds. I spent another hour trying to get connected again, even managed to talk the McCafe guy into resetting their hotspot, to no avail. One woman there said that there was a password-- but we never were prompted for one. (And a few days later I went back and was able to connect with no problems, and no password, of course.) Meanwhile an ice cream shop up the street has no problems.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:55 pm

JessiDarko wrote:My best guess at this point: In the US the WiFi is licensed for channels 1-11. Wifi base stations pick a channel and then they hop around it ,but they have a main channel. (Eg: the base station might pick channel 10 and then when 10 is noise jump to 9 or 11.) Outside the USA the channels can go up to 13. Possibly in Chile the channels go to 13.... but the US targeted iOS devices only operate between 1-11. So I might connect on 11, the DHCP handshake starts, then the base station switches to 12 due to noise but the iPod doesn't follow it because it thinks only 1-11 are authorized. But other locations use equipment in their standard US configuration which limits the channels and things just work. That's my best guess for what I was observing in the wild.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Sounds like the router went bad. Time for a service call. Suerte.
We solved it but good: we moved to another apartment. (Well, we'd been planning to move anyway.)

The thing is, we've seen this problem elsewhere, for instance at several various wifi spots. Meanwhile others work just fine. I think there is something chilean going on here.

An example: The Wifi offered by the McDonalds in Viña del mar. Attempting to connect to it with an iPod, or iPad results in the DHCP never giving an actual IP address. In this particular example, I was unable to connect for about 10 minutes. They have two networks, one for the restaurant and one for the McCafe next door. After 5 minutes (of the problem I described where the DHCP seems to fail) it connected and stayed connected for about 6 seconds. I spent another hour trying to get connected again, even managed to talk the McCafe guy into resetting their hotspot, to no avail. One woman there said that there was a password-- but we never were prompted for one. (And a few days later I went back and was able to connect with no problems, and no password, of course.) Meanwhile an ice cream shop up the street has no problems.

chilean it people, 2 week lease times on dhcp on wifi hotspots.... meaning without a router reboot, they are full in hours............

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm

I can only speak of Movistar personally and Movistar and VTR as installed in my apartment complex. My Movistar ADSL wi-fi router (which I don't use) as well as my US self-supplied router, all have channels that you fix. This is also true for the other folks with VTR and Movistar in my complex and down below in the houses and the nearby schools. Out of 15-20 networks I can see, none are ever using a channel above 11 and the company supplied routers do not appear to auto change channels when there is a lot of traffic.

Me thinks it might be a type of wi-fi network problem (b, g, n).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... s-may-rise

this will impact chile also,

means USA is effectively going to 15% tax any data come from the USA:..... This may breach there free trade treaties? si o no? i would interoperate that as a breach.........

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 pm

zer0nz wrote:This may breach there free trade treaties? si o no?
I would not count on that.
Increasingly, "free trade" agreements and treaties are more about imposing commerical policies on another country than they are about freeing up markets for the best products and services to be traded at the best price.
You need to check for specific clauses in agreements/treaties, AND HOW/WHETHER THEY ARE INTERPRETED/ENFORCED (or not).
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.