Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Internet Connection

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm

I can only speak of Movistar personally and Movistar and VTR as installed in my apartment complex. My Movistar ADSL wi-fi router (which I don't use) as well as my US self-supplied router, all have channels that you fix. This is also true for the other folks with VTR and Movistar in my complex and down below in the houses and the nearby schools. Out of 15-20 networks I can see, none are ever using a channel above 11 and the company supplied routers do not appear to auto change channels when there is a lot of traffic.

Me thinks it might be a type of wi-fi network problem (b, g, n).
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industr ... s-may-rise

this will impact chile also,

means USA is effectively going to 15% tax any data come from the USA:..... This may breach there free trade treaties? si o no? i would interoperate that as a breach.........

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 pm

zer0nz wrote:This may breach there free trade treaties? si o no?
I would not count on that.
Increasingly, "free trade" agreements and treaties are more about imposing commerical policies on another country than they are about freeing up markets for the best products and services to be traded at the best price.
You need to check for specific clauses in agreements/treaties, AND HOW/WHETHER THEY ARE INTERPRETED/ENFORCED (or not).
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

DaveNotAMonkey

Post by DaveNotAMonkey » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi all apologies for dredging up this thread...

For my sins in both a previous life, and this one, I have Movistar as my internet service provider here. In exchange for my hard-earned money, I got given a rubbish router that seems to spend most of it's time in a daydream. I'd love to bin it, so I bought a new one, thinking "how hard can it be..." (given that I'm very adept at all things technological, etc)

Well... turns out pretty hard. My modem point-blank refuses to connect, despite adding the right username and password, spoofing MAC addresses etc.

So, anyone care to give me a hand? The router I bought was a D-link DIR-615. Not my normal choice of mfr, but I was assured it was a simple "plug and play". Yeah right. I've played the firmware-updating game, and now "upgraded" it to the dd-wrt custom firmware. Still no luck.

A bottle of wine awaits anyone who wants to pop over and fix it for me (I live very central, next to Metro Catolica).

Thanks all!

D

eeuunikkeiexpat

Movistar Router AMPER BHS ASL-26555_CL

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:19 pm

My 7 year old ZyXEL bridge modem (from Telefonica) is showing signs of aging so I whipped out the new one (AMPER BHS ASL-26555_CL ADSL wifi router) they sent out to me more than a year ago and went on the Internet to figure out how to turn it into a bridge modem.

How to access the configuration (not the lame Vomitstar configuration page):
1. 192.168.1.1:8000
2. User: user
Password: MOV15tar$$
3. Click the "Bridge" button and Save

- Søren Kierkegaard

blackiethecat

Post by blackiethecat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 pm

zer0nz wrote:Fishboy, rather easy, dont need to change your cable modem,

Go buy a wifi router from your local PC store,

take the network cable that came with it, plug it in the WAN port of your new router, and in the LAN port of the cable modem, follow the instructions for configuring the router from the manual that comes with it, make sure you use WPA security,

If you can get VTR to disable the wifi on the modem they supplied, this is usually a argument as they need to send a tech to the house to do that!!!! the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi,

Once that is all done your finished, the new wifi router you install will look like 1 computer user to the cable modem, but your whole house can be using it......
Hello, I'm new to the forum here. You seem to have a good handle on Chilean voice / data com. I hope to move to the Los Rios region in early December for just three months. I read much conflicting information on the forum regarding being able to procure home based internet service and cell phone voice / data service.

My quadband Samsung Galaxy Note is unlocked. Without a cedula will I be able to initially buy a SIM and afterwards prepaid cards as needed? Can I buy prepaid card credit for both voice AND data; or only voice? In Argentina, Bolivia and Colombia I could easily buy prepaid voice service. But for cell phone data service I had to pull strings and impose on local friends to co-sign. In Argentina and Colombia I used Moviestar without problems. In Bolivia I used Tigo and ENTEL - both equally bad.

Presuming that the apartment is not wired for internet, again without a cedula, will I be able to buy cable internet service for just three months? If not, can I buy a flash stick modem? I have a high performance Dell laptop and use a VPN. If I can get home based service I'll probably just stick in the ethernet jack rather than buy a wireless router and add complexity. If all of this is a pain in the neck I suppose that I could just go to a WiFi hotspot, buy a coffee and leech onto their signal.

If you would please be so kind as to let me know what to expect, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

eeuunikkeiexpat

VTR ARRIS TG862G into a bridge modem

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:27 pm

I finally got around to see if the tech did it right (deactivate wifi and turn VTR box into a bridge modem for use with my wifi router).

I discovered he didn't do squat except plug in my wireless router which meant I had two NATs running. So all this time I had what I thought was a very nearby neighbor competing with me for channel bandwidth in this cuicoish condo when actually it was MY second wifi router from the VTR box blasting at full power. Was the first thing I deactivated before steps 2 and 3 in the instructions below.

Instructions:
(1) Found the router password and other useful info here:
http://www.chw.net/foro/internet-y-rede ... m652g.html
(2) In WAN Setup turn off DHCP.
(3) In LAN Setup activate Bridge mode.
After that, you will no longer be able to access the Wireless settings at 192.168.0.1 unless you hit the reset button on the box. You can still access the stats at 192.168.100.1 and even the Advanced ones by using the password of the day which someone has pasted the entire year's list at the first link.

You will now have a bridge cable modem with a constantly changing IP number (no longer fixed due to number 2) resolving to Santiago using your routers DNS servers.

Suerte.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:13 pm

VTR here is quite lame.
We had 2mbps down and 0.5 up on 20 megas plan. And it was going down every 2 hours for 10-15 minutes.

We thought the outdated modem is the cause (they even don't have this model on their site) - so they replaced it. But the speed still won't go more than 5mbps to Santiago and 3mbps to California. So finally our landlord forced them to fix the whole networking in the block (we showed her awful Speedtest.net results).

Still there are "request timeout" pits for 5-10 seconds multiple times a day. Not bad for browsing but not acceptable for gaming.

pablometal

Post by pablometal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Do not use vtr, they both suck!! Mobile and cable conection. I use movistar for my cellphone and clarochile for my cable conection, best mix

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:40 am

Think that depends where you live.

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:02 am

If your NAT table is going to be heavily loaded because of torrenting, gaming, VOIP et. al., I recommend you set your modem in bridge mode as eeuunikkeiexpat explained. Cable modems typically have pretty weak router functionality and will collapse under load, leading to timeouts. It's well worth investing into owning your own higher end, dedicated router (I have a couple Netgear routers that I've been satisfied with). If you own your home or are a long-term tenant, it's also worth wiring the place with cat6 ethernet cable and use wifi mostly for mobile devices.

PS: the user name on VTR modems to access is usually "technician" or possibly "admin".

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 am

Telefonica del Sur is great (30 megas optic fiber plan).
It recently was offline for 8 hours because a fire near Concepcion damaged cables. But VTR had the same problem in summer.