Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Internet Connection

Post by admin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 pm

jehturner wrote:
zer0nz wrote:the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi
Of course it would be ideal to have it disabled, but I think cracking WEP requires traffic analysis, which assumes that there is already some legitimate connection over it. If you are making *no* connections via WEP, I'd think (not 100%) there is not enough information to crack it, as long as it actually does have a password. Your internal network also still has your own router to isolate it if someone does get in, though that's still not great as an attacker has the privilege of having all your traffic routed past them. Anyway, if they "steal" some of your 40Mb/s you probably won't notice and it's basically VTR's responsibility for not securing it properly.

James.
Cracking wep is almost easier than connecting with a password sometimes, especially at places that none of the residents or employees seem to know the password (e.g. hotels, cafes).

In Chile it is even easier, because the default used by most companies tends to be a name or RUT number of whomever is paying for the internet account. Often a piece of mail is all that is required to obtain the information needed to workout the password.

My policy is to have them turn it off at the time of installation, if I can not get them to give me a box without wifi to start (I jealously hold on to the oldest dumbest ADSL modem I can). I have also shorted the antenna in a few for good measure. I really don't want a wireless broadcast I do not control inside my firewall or even on the edge of it. Apart from the security concerns, they also tend to inter-fear with other things such as my own wireless routers, handheld phones, TV and whatever. If I need to force it on to another channel to stop interference, I sure don't want to wait around for the company to come do it. My own wireless routers have far superior signals, that I can tweak in every respect for better signal strengths and so on.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 pm

zer0nz wrote:Ive cracked them my self many times, you inject fake traffic to get the wifi to transmit responses then you collect enough data to get the key, it takes about 20 minutes for a 64bit and 40 for a 128 bit......
Yeah, rings a bell now you mention it. I have looked at aircrack before. OK, so not good advice; post updated (should have checked before sending).

Thanks,

James.

Fishboy

Post by Fishboy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 pm

zer0nz wrote:Fishboy, rather easy, dont need to change your cable modem,

Go buy a wifi router from your local PC store,

take the network cable that came with it, plug it in the WAN port of your new router, and in the LAN port of the cable modem, follow the instructions for configuring the router from the manual that comes with it, make sure you use WPA security,

If you can get VTR to disable the wifi on the modem they supplied, this is usually a argument as they need to send a tech to the house to do that!!!! the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi,

Once that is all done your finished, the new wifi router you install will look like 1 computer user to the cable modem, but your whole house can be using it......
Cheers zer0nz (et al) for rapid responses.

The new box from VTR actually uses WPA2, so is better than expected. Unfortunately - there is no LAN port from the cable modem/router (its a Motorola 6580 surfboard), so I can't simply attach a WIFI router (I actually have an old D-link sitting in the cupboard). It's annoying as the modem is apparently a nice bit of kit!

I'm not too pissed off, but will get a new modem and router when I'm back in the UK in a few weeks.

FB

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Fishboy wrote:

take the network cable that came with it, plug it in the WAN port of your new router, and in the LAN port of the cable modem, follow the instructions for configuring the router from the manual that comes with it, make sure you use WPA security,

If you can get VTR to disable the wifi on the modem they supplied, this is usually a argument as they need to send a tech to the house to do that!!!! the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi,

Once that is all done your finished, the new wifi router you install will look like 1 computer user to the cable modem, but your whole house can be using it......

The new box from VTR actually uses WPA2, so is better than expected. Unfortunately - there is no LAN port from the cable modem/router (its a Motorola 6580 surfboard), so I can't simply attach a WIFI router (I actually have an old D-link sitting in the cupboard). It's annoying as the modem is apparently a nice bit of kit!

I'm not too pissed off, but will get a new modem and router when I'm back in the UK in a few weeks.

FB
How is their no lan port?

Should look something like this, and that looks like a lot of ports.
SBG6580_REAR_v2-US-EN.png
SBG6580_REAR_v2-US-EN.png (90.45 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 pm

if it doesnt, i find it very very very very hard to believe it doesnt have 1 port....

you can get a linksys router, the linux based one, put on custom firmware, then use 1 radio to recieve the signal and route using nat to the second radio, that way you achieve the same thing, the vtr router only sees 1 device on the network.....

Fishboy

Post by Fishboy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:31 pm

admin wrote:
Fishboy wrote:

FB
How is their no lan port?

Should look something like this, and that looks like a lot of ports.
SBG6580_REAR_v2-US-EN.png
Apologies - there are lots of LAN ports, just not one that acts as a WAN port. I've tried attaching the other router in various combinations, but there is no obvious connection. Then I found this link that suggest it is a no-go. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33794 ... cess-point.

Anyway - thanks to all for help.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Maybe I'm being dim but I can't see why it matters. Why can't your router just get a DHCP address from VTR's router on its local network and translate that to whatever DHCP addresses you use for your devices? (Maybe it requires configuring routes more specifically on your device so it won't confuse different 192.168.1.0 networks?). I have never actually tried this but would assume it should work.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Use any lan port on the vtr but only use the wan on your new wifi you buy

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:05 pm

jehturner wrote:Maybe I'm being dim but I can't see why it matters. Why can't your router just get a DHCP address from VTR's router on its local network and translate that to whatever DHCP addresses you use for your devices? (Maybe it requires configuring routes more specifically on your device so it won't confuse different 192.168.1.0 networks?). I have never actually tried this but would assume it should work.
100% correct it is simple plug and play

I have this working on many vtr modems for the same reason withoutca problem

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Yea, I can not really think of a good reason that the upstream modem would be able to tell or care which port it is using for a wan port, or the other way around.

The only thing I can think of is that VTR did the stupid mac address trick on you, but I thought they have mostly abandoned that stupidity some years ago.

If you can plug say your laptop directly and get a connection then the d-link should work just fine. You might need to reconfig the d-link perhaps so it is not like trying to dial pppoe connection or something, or perhaps give it a good DNS server (as VTR has crap).

occasionally with 4 ports on a router or whatever, either the number 1 or number 4 do special things that go mostly undocumented (or are hidden in the docs). So it might be worth plugging in to both of those and see if the d-link will play with it. I found this out the hard way with a stupid telsur modem that also carried the tv signal. I spent two days goofing around with it after a move, and the tv would not work again. Called them, they came out, and the guy told me it was the unmarked specific port that the tv box had to be plugged in to. Nothing in the documentation about needing to use those ports only for the tv signal. What would posses anyone to design such a device and then not document it beats me, but they do. My solution has always been to get rid of any mystery device like that in my network.

Fishboy

Post by Fishboy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 pm

admin wrote:Yea, I can not really think of a good reason that the upstream modem would be able to tell or care which port it is using for a wan port, or the other way around.
occasionally with 4 ports on a router or whatever, either the number 1 or number 4 do special things that go mostly undocumented (or are hidden in the docs). So it might be worth plugging in to both of those and see if the d-link will play with it. I found this out the hard way with a stupid telsur modem that also carried the tv signal. I spent two days goofing around with it after a move, and the tv would not work again. Called them, they came out, and the guy told me it was the unmarked specific port that the tv box had to be plugged in to. Nothing in the documentation about needing to use those ports only for the tv signal. What would posses anyone to design such a device and then not document it beats me, but they do. My solution has always been to get rid of any mystery device like that in my network.
Admin - cheers for that - You were right.

It finally worked with the combination of using the third port as well as a brand new Ethernet cable and factory resets on both boxes.
I'm not arguing as we now have lovely fast (for Chile) internet on the phones/laptops/tv/galaxy tablets/stereo... I'm now a happy chappy.

FB

dw88

Post by dw88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Tonkinese wrote:Claro i am told is the only internet company that does prepago with a device that connects to your laptop.
its a one off payment for the "Doggle" as they call it in u.k. of 69900peso.Then you buy a normal topup stratch card (per month)
,the same as recharging your mobile.The one month unlimited download fee is 34990ps for 30 days.This is expensive but an option if you cant cant get a connection through your landlord.
This post is 3 years old just wondering what the situation nowadays is like? Looking for an apartment and a few don't have internet and those that do I can't imagine being too fast/reliable. If we can't get landlord to put in internet or if the internet is average is it possible to buy the USB modem dongle thing and is the coverage/connection decent?

Does it help if I have a USB modem already from Australia? Back home I just inserted a prepaid SIM and had pretty strong/fast connection pretty much everywhere, is it possible to achieve the same thing in Santiago?

The cost isn't such an issue as I will be using the internet for business and can write it off as a business expense. So basically just after the best USB internet option.