Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

My latest experience with Movistar

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 pm

I just changed apartments and got my transferred banda ancha connection installed on the day after I moved (I moved on a Sunday). Very impressive. In fact, they were so eager to setup the new connection that they called twice before we moved (we gave them a week's notice) that they could install it the day of each call :!: Too bad we hadn't moved yet or why they couldn't wait till the official day we gave them :idea:

Minuses:
:arrow: They claim that the line from the previous apartment will be active for 10 days. If I still have the key in a week, I may go down there with my telephone, ADSL modem and laptop to see if this is the case.
:arrow: The tech by default tried to install their crappy wifi router. When I reviewed the configuration page and twice tried to change the encryption to WPA, it did not save the change and blew out the configuration. I said no-way to this piece of crap and insisted on a basic ADSL modem. He replaced it with a Huwei ADSL modem.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

jolsta

Re: Internet Connection

Post by jolsta » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 am

Hi guys

Does anyone know whether Entel is still offering fixed broadband (DSL)? For some reason I can't find any plans advertised on their website. A few months ago they had many. Quite a mystery.. Have they switched to mobile broadband only?

Thanks...
Jola

charlescellist

Post by charlescellist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Interesting thread

I'm about to move to Chile from China - should I buy I router here before i come? Any particular model?

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:51 pm

charlescellist wrote:Interesting thread

I'm about to move to Chile from China - should I buy I router here before i come? Any particular model?
Wait until your here, if you dont want any fancy features the basic router that comes with your cable/adsl usually does the job, Just make sure you put wpa encryption on your Wifi, chileans love to steal your internet by hacking the wep!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 pm

hell, I got one I'll sell you for $10,000 pesos in my extensive closet of 'computer equipment I will never need again, but I can't bring myself to get rid of because I know I will need it the day after I get rid of it'.

I know they all work on all ISP's in Chile, because they have all been on every ISP in Chile at one point or another.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:32 pm

actually I just looked, and realized I have a bunch of routers that were given to me by the ISP over the years, and they never asked for back when I canceled the contracts or they upgrade our connection. So I am sure they work.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zizzles

wpa encryption

Post by zizzles » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:04 pm

by zer0nz wrote:
Just make sure you put wpa encryption on your Wifi, chileans love to steal your internet by hacking the wep!
how do I do this?

Fishboy

Post by Fishboy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Back to this old chestnut...

Got the VTR triple back, with 40 Mbps (and it actually gets close to this, even for international servers according to both VTR and Speedtest).
My problem is that they have supplied us with a motorola 6580 surfboard (cable modem/wired & wireless router) which according to reviews isn't too bad. However, the VTR version is effectively handicapped, only allowing 4 connections etc, no access to DHCP setting etc. From what I understand this is VTR trying to stop people handing out free internet to the entire building. However, we are a pretty connected household and would really like to have the ability to have more than 4 bits of kit online at once.

From what I can see from the thread that this has been a common issue, and it looks like I need to sort it out myself. I'm willing to put my hand in my pocket and e.g. buy a cable modem and separate wireless router, but am not sure how VTR deal with this? The local guy who installed it reckoned it wasn't a problem, but I'd appreciate the thoughts of people experienced with the system. I'm a networking virgin, but am pretty IT aware, so am willing to get stuck in.

Next question is any pointers on decent cable modems? I'm ok on the router side of things.

all the best from a slightly-subdued Antofagasta (I'm guessing the chicha hangovers have kicked in)
FB

Steph

Post by Steph » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 am

We had the same issue, Fishboy, in Santiaho. So, when we moved to antofa, we insisted that VTR install a modem only and provided our own router after they had sorted the modem out (so that there could be no attempt from them to configure my router). Did the same when we moved up here to Iquique. Can't complain about the Internet service I've had from VTR, just glad to be rid of their dodgy modem/router all-in-one.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:49 am

Fishboy, rather easy, dont need to change your cable modem,

Go buy a wifi router from your local PC store,

take the network cable that came with it, plug it in the WAN port of your new router, and in the LAN port of the cable modem, follow the instructions for configuring the router from the manual that comes with it, make sure you use WPA security,

If you can get VTR to disable the wifi on the modem they supplied, this is usually a argument as they need to send a tech to the house to do that!!!! the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi,

Once that is all done your finished, the new wifi router you install will look like 1 computer user to the cable modem, but your whole house can be using it......

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:16 am

zer0nz wrote:the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi
Of course it would be ideal to have it disabled, but I think cracking WEP requires traffic analysis, which assumes that there is already some legitimate connection over it [update: see next post]. If you are making *no* connections via WEP, I'd think (not 100%) there is not enough information to crack it, as long as it actually does have a password. Your internal network also still has your own router to isolate it if someone does get in, though that's still not great as an attacker has the privilege of having all your traffic routed past them. Anyway, if they "steal" some of your 40Mb/s you probably won't notice and it's basically VTR's responsibility for not securing it properly.

James.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:13 pm

jehturner wrote:
zer0nz wrote:the reason you want to disable it is it is WEP secuirty that is easily hacked and your neigbours will steal your wifi
Of course it would be ideal to have it disabled, but I think cracking WEP requires traffic analysis, which assumes that there is already some legitimate connection over it. If you are making *no* connections via WEP, I'd think (not 100%) there is not enough information to crack it, as long as it actually does have a password. Your internal network also still has your own router to isolate it if someone does get in, though that's still not great as an attacker has the privilege of having all your traffic routed past them. Anyway, if they "steal" some of your 40Mb/s you probably won't notice and it's basically VTR's responsibility for not securing it properly.

James.
Ive cracked them my self many times, you inject fake traffic to get the wifi to transmit responses then you collect enough data to get the key, it takes about 20 minutes for a 64bit and 40 for a 128 bit......

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/