Internet Connection

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
at46

Re: Internet Connection

Post by at46 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Movistar fiber is great, never had any issues at all in the last couple of years. Their customer service is shit though, but, again, I've had no reason to talk to them lately. VTR is great, too, when it's on, but I keep getting service interuptions every few weeks for no reason whatsoever. Their customer service is a pleasure to deal with, but I'd rather I didn't have to :). Entel has a new portable 4G wireless router service which sounds interesting.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:52 pm

at46 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm
Movistar fiber is great, never had any issues at all in the last couple of years. Their customer service is shit though, but, again, I've had no reason to talk to them lately. VTR is great, too, when it's on, but I keep getting service interuptions every few weeks for no reason whatsoever. Their customer service is a pleasure to deal with, but I'd rather I didn't have to :). Entel has a new portable 4G wireless router service which sounds interesting.
I second this, including the Movistar's customer service being crap and VTR going down randomly. You'll most likely only have one option in whatever building you end up moving to, so there's no reason to worry overthink it.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:17 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:52 pm
at46 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm
I second this, including the Movistar's customer service being crap and VTR going down randomly. You'll most likely only have one option in whatever building you end up moving to, so there's no reason to worry overthink it.
If you only have one option in your building it is illegal as far as I understand now,the ley de ductos, or it's an old building they may not have caught up yet ,
https://www.subtel.gob.cl/entra-en-vige ... ndominios/
they can no longer offer you only one option if others are available in your neighborhood .
I can't decide for you. You'll have to make up your own mind.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Movistar quality is variable, service is very poor.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 pm
Movistar quality is variable, service is very poor.
Movistar, master of death by a thousand paper cuts.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:27 pm

For those of you with VTR, make sure to call them to get them to upgrade your plan to the new tiers. 400/10 just became 600/16 but they don't perform these upgrades automatically:

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Can anyone explain why they need 600 Mbit download speed? Nice to have, but your average nuclear family would have a job maxing out a quarter of that. I may downgrade from my 200 Mbit VTR connection just to see what they offer me.

The upload value is more interesting; round here I know people who run Facebook streaming channels that need around 8 Mbit continuous.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

former_expat

Post by former_expat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:41 pm
Can anyone explain why they need 600 Mbit download speed? Nice to have, but your average nuclear family would have a job maxing out a quarter of that. I may downgrade from my 200 Mbit VTR connection just to see what they offer me.
The upload value is more interesting; round here I know people who run Facebook streaming channels that need around 8 Mbit continuous.
You dont , 600 down Is overkill for the average home. For example Netflix Uhd Is about 15 mbps , same for YouTube or Amazon prime. Maybe in the future it might be worth it, but for now Is just too rich for my blood.

What I usually do is to get the cheapest speed i can get and test it for a month or two.

Currently I'm with mundo pacifico fiber to the home and I pay $14900 per month, (200 mbps down 100 mbps upload) which Is plenty of fast for my household.

Previously I had Vtr, good quality conection, but at $20990 for 400 mbps (Groupon promo) mundo pacifico won my business hands down.

I dont have cable tv, I only pay for my broadband internet.

First post here, good fórum, will help with info, tips and tricks regarding living in Chile since I live here long term now. Cant help with inmigration 'tramites' because ive never done them, Im Chilean born so excuse my poor grammar :)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:44 pm

At the VTR.com Chile, the "slowest' speed you can contract is 100/5. So why not insist they upgrade your package as I'm at 30/2 at the moment? I'm in the south 5th region below the much more populated northern 5th region.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I will do it via my contact there vs. calling in or chat.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:19 am

I've got about 52 Mbps through Claro, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Its advertised speed was slower than my previous VTR connection (no complaints about VTR) when I got it, but I really haven't noticed a difference.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:08 am

i have fiber optic up of 1.2 G up and 6 down on telsur fiber optic, that is technically qualified as a home connection, and i can saturate that sucker. I am however running backup pull and pushes between multiple offices, servers, countries, mail, etc, all day long. i have run the same however on much less bandwidth, simply by staggering the traffic so as not to create a bottle neck. i have a commercial fiber at our office in Santiago (which is expensive crap entel service).

my home router is simply a 4g router, that i can watch netflix, and if i need to do any heavy data lifting i have our office connections or our servers in the states.

FYI, i just updated the allchile.net servers to raid 10, sdd drives. seems snappier from my end, but I simply did it because i needed more drive space.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.