moving to chile from an american school

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
coka

moving to chile from an american school

Post by coka » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 am

Hi,

We are planning to move to Santiago, Chile, in July when my son finishes school. He goes to an American school and he will finish 6th grade in June. My question is, what happens if he attends a school in Santiago that is not Nido de Aguilas? (the only school that follows the American calendar in Chile). What happens if he goes to another school, like Grange or Santiago college, that the school year starts in March? Will he lose one semester? Will he have to wait one whole semester to join 7th grade in March? I have a Chilean friend that told me that if we move in December, not in July, the ministry of Education in Chile says he can skip one semester, and attend 8th grade in March 2013. Is this true? Does anybody knows about this? :?:

Tombi

Re: moving to chile from an american school

Post by Tombi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 am

We moved our daughter from Craighouse to Nido and she had to redo half a year. When we move back to Australia, she will likely have to repeat another half year.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

Tombi wrote:We moved our daughter from Craighouse to Nido and she had to redo half a year. When we move back to Australia, she will likely have to repeat another half year.
your moving back?

griffin

Post by griffin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am

It will depend on the school, but:

Some schools either allow or require profiency exams to decide what grade a child should be placed in, especially if said child is entering from a non-equivalent school system. The private schools all have their own policies in this regard.

Best advice, check with the individual schools you are interested in (they can generally be contacted by email) well ahead of time. That way you can find out if they will even have a place for your child at the grade level he should be in, and if so how they usually handle this kind of transfer. Most of the private schools will have websites, so you can do at least a little research on them before you arrive.

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 pm

zer0nz wrote:
Tombi wrote:We moved our daughter from Craighouse to Nido and she had to redo half a year. When we move back to Australia, she will likely have to repeat another half year.
your moving back?
Yes, but only in about 6 years or so...

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:33 pm

My son after grade 2 left Chile in Dec and started grade 3 in September in Canada, we travelled the long way to get to Canada, in grade 9 he returned to The Grange in Chile in March after leaving Canada in December he was moved to Grade 10. Note The Grange is affiliated with Cambridge University (the real one in the UK) They do a morning of placement exams to access where the student should be placed. The Grange also has a policy of having native English speaker into their own classes. They will get more academic Spanish instruction in the higher grades.

So it depends on the student, not just the school.
It's all about the wine.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Tombi wrote:
zer0nz wrote:
your moving back?
Yes, but only in about 6 years or so...
oh wow, fair enough, it wasnt for ever.... you think you would come back again? i couldnt think of moving back to aus at all....

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:59 pm

The main reason for considering moving back is that I have a strong desire to work as a criminal barrister when I finish my degree. So, we have come to a compromise that once I have finished (3 years from now), I will do a masters degree (1-2 years), then my college of law (another 6 months) by correspondence and then sit down and seriously talk about it.

We love living here (especially while the gremlins are still little), but my job prospects are not great here and I´ve been wifey and mum for 9 years now and feel like I need to get a turn now to build a career for myself. I am very patient and nothing is set in stone, but it is the general idea.

Giving our kids more than just a taste of Aussie culture on holidays ( beach and nippers, multi-culturalism, sport etc.) is another factor we like the idea of.

It´s probably just all pie in the sky stuff, as Chile is treating us very well and we have a great life here, but for me it would be the best outcome and what I am aiming for.

coka

Post by coka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 am

Thank you for all your replays, specially nvdiver. So I guess it's up to the school...I thought maybe the ministry of education wouldn't allow kids to skip one semester.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm

coka wrote:Thank you for all your replays, specially nvdiver. So I guess it's up to the school...I thought maybe the ministry of education wouldn't allow kids to skip one semester.
Quite a few skipped more than that last year and yet most are back in school with a few exceptions around the Lastarria area.
We agree to disagree.

Aguila Blanca

Post by Aguila Blanca » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:12 pm

My wife and I adopted her granddaughter in Chile and brought her to live in the U.S. She had just completed 10th grade when we adopted her, and she had to repeat the second semester of 10th grade in the U.S. When 11th grade didn't work out for her due to bullying, we had to remove her from school in the U.S. and enroll her in a school in Santiago, where she is just now completing her 11th grade year. So, because of the seasonal and academic calendar differences, she lost an entire year.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Sorry to hear that Aguila. I am glad that your granddaughter had the option to get out of a bad situation. I used to worry about gaining or losing years with my children when relocating until I changed my perspective. When the time comes for university or work age is not that big an issue. A person's skills, knowledge, ability to work with others make a bigger difference than one or two years. When is the last time someone put a birth date on their CV?
We agree to disagree.