a suitcase of stuff... is it allowed?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
hlf2888

a suitcase of stuff... is it allowed?

Post by hlf2888 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 pm

I have searched for suitcase and stuff and this question has never come up. :D Like George Carlin said we all have our 'stuff'. I am moving to Chile on a year residency visa and bringing a large suitcase of stuff I would miss. Of course I would get over it if I couldn't bring these things... but if I could bring them it would make the transition so much easier. If I can't bring them in the suitcase can they come in a container or by mail?
Here is my suitcase stuff wish list. All in sealed unopened packages, all non-gmo organic: Green tea, star anise, cinnamon sticks, allspice, turmeric, cayenne, coconut oil, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Will this pass customs?

I am also bringing some dry dog and cat food for 2 hungry dogs and one disgruntled cat. Should this be in a sealed unopened package? Anybody had any food products taken away at customs?

el gatito

Re: a suitcase of stuff... is it allowed?

Post by el gatito » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't think star anise is allowed. Some dry dogs and some dry cats would be allowed (but fresh dogs and cats -- not sure). Hungry dogs -- not sure. Disgruntled cat -- don't know. Dry dog, and some cats food -- possibly. Who knows, though.
Éste era un gato
que tenía los pies de trapo
y la camisa al revés.
¿Querís que te lo cuente otra vez?

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:25 pm

Also, why is the cat "disgruntled"? Please tell.
Éste era un gato
y la camisa al revés.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:29 pm

patagoniax wrote:We once imported a partial container load of dry dog food for sale...
And for what purpose the one who doesn't seem to be showing much love and any sort of respect for dogs -- would be importing a "container load" of dog food? Please tell.
Éste era un gato
y la camisa al revés.

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 am

el gatito wrote:
patagoniax wrote:We once imported a partial container load of dry dog food for sale...
And for what purpose the one who doesn't seem to be showing much love and any sort of respect for dogs -- would be importing a "container load" of dog food? Please tell.
Bait.
Scout's Honor

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:30 am

el gatito wrote:Also, why is the cat "disgruntled"? Please tell.
Simply because it's a cat.
Scout's Honor

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:37 am

You mean, because he's a cat, or because she's a cat?
Éste era un gato
y la camisa al revés.

el gatito

Post by el gatito » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 am

I would want a Siamese she-cat, BTW.
Éste era un gato
y la camisa al revés.

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:48 am

el gatito wrote:I would want a Siamese she-cat, BTW.
Like this?
siamese cat.jpg
siamese cat.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Scout's Honor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:13 am

The last dozen or so dogs and cats that entered with our clients had all dog and cat food siezed by SAG.

The problem is that in both the United States and a lot of other countries the food often includes various animal parts.

The rest of that stuff, is asking for a world of bureaucratic pain, even if they ultimately do let it through. Not caring the dog food would be a good start to not causing trouble with the other stuff.

It seems to not matter how many times we tell people not to do it, they are going to insist on trying to import the strangest crap possible to Chile.

The rule is if you have to ask, you likely should not bring it. Not because sag will necessarily not let you, but it will likely cost you a fortune in time and money if something goes wrong. That is especially true when shipping containers, but also applies to simply walking things in.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:48 pm

admin wrote:The rule is if you have to ask, you likely should not bring it. Not because sag will necessarily not let you, but it will likely cost you a fortune in time and money if something goes wrong. That is especially true when shipping containers, but also applies to simply walking things in.
Excellent advice.

Looking at your list, you can get some of that here: Green tea, star anise, cinnamon sticks, turmeric, cayenne, coconut milk. The best rule of thumb for anything like spices is, if you can plant it and grow something then it can´t come in. You can bring in ground pepper, for instance, but not peppercorns.

As for the dog food, also a wide variety available here, no. We brought back an opened bag of doggy´s pellets (Early Cardiac - how´s that for a name) from Argentina and the SAG man said it could come in as it had been bought in Chile (imported product) and we were returning with it. If we had bought it anywhere else, it could not come in.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

hlf2888 wrote:I have searched for suitcase and stuff and this question has never come up. :D Like George Carlin said we all have our 'stuff'. I am moving to Chile on a year residency visa and bringing a large suitcase of stuff I would miss. Of course I would get over it if I couldn't bring these things... but if I could bring them it would make the transition so much easier. If I can't bring them in the suitcase can they come in a container or by mail?
Here is my suitcase stuff wish list. All in sealed unopened packages, all non-gmo organic: Green tea, star anise, cinnamon sticks, allspice, turmeric, cayenne, coconut oil, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Will this pass customs?

I am also bringing some dry dog and cat food for 2 hungry dogs and one disgruntled cat. Should this be in a sealed unopened package? Anybody had any food products taken away at customs?
Green tea, cinnamon sticks, all spice, coconut oil, coconut milk, apple cider and maple syrup can all be bought here. I have seen and bought them all at Lider or Jumbo. I'm not sure of the cayenne but I think I have seen it. Maybe someone else can chime in a confirmation for this.

Edit: sorry, did not see post above.
Living the life!