What do you like about Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
JHyre

Re: What do you like about Chile

Post by JHyre » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:19 am

Making random friends by chatting people up, getting to know them, having dinner, coffee, wine, fun, relaxation. Short sentence, but enough to make for a nice existence.

John Hyre

chilco

Post by chilco » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I love the kindness of the people here-we have might so many warm, kind Chileans, who have given us their homes to stay in, a mechanic who fixed our truck by the roadside when we were stranded and refused to accept any money, people who say hello to strangers in a small town. The adorable Chilean children, the lovely landscape that makes you notice its beauty every day. The relaxed nature here, where time is not a jailer. The cheap wine. The local fiesta, where the entire village hangs out by the river and enjoys a relaxing day of music and food. I love the outfits of the campesinos, and the traditions that are still practiced on horseback. I love the casual nature of hitchhiking here, and the freedom from the fear that is magnified and exploited by the USA in all aspects of daily life.
These are just a few of my immediate thoughts on this subject. Thanks Vicki, for the chance to air them!

Piloto

Post by Piloto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

patagoniax wrote:.
natals_techo.jpg
Hey! What happened? I liked the photo of the motorcycle better!
So, what are my chances of finding a reliable used bike... Something along the lines of a Suzuki DR650?
I'd like that.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Hey Chilco! I like where you live, even though it's nearly impossible to find your way around the labyrinth of streets there! The windmills outside of town, the vistas, the markets.

I like the oxen pulling carts with pasto piled 12-feet high along gravel roads. I love the rodeos, the boiled chestnuts and navigado. I loved the community picnic in Futa each February where the whole town walks down the road, across the bridge and along the bank of the Rio Espolon to feast on an asado of beef, pork and lamb. Huge pots of boiled potatoes, local bread and typical salad. You just bring BYOB, plates and utensil and eat until you bust. Then you dance the cueca in your gawkey gringa style with the mayor while the carbineros wait to take those who have had too much to drink home and tuck them in.

I love that nothing was for sale during the eruption of the Chaiten volcano. I love that no one went without, those who stayed. That water was delivered door to door and payment for electric, water and internet was suspended. The bills, not the services. I love that medical and vet services were free to those who needed it. That the carbineros went door to door to see if anyone needed anything.

I loved sitting in the Plaza del Armas in Santiago and having a waiter come move my bag to the other side of the table so someone might not grab it and run.

I love that women in the market are quick to explain unknown products and how they are cooked (cucuyoyo?). Once, after a five k hike up into the mountains with a friend, we came across an old man sitting outside a simple cabin. He invited us in, forced some mate on me, and when I asked about a net sack of what looked like dried turds hanging above his wood stove, he gave me the bag. It was morel mushrooms. Probably a few days hunting for him.

I loved our hoorah trip on a wooden boat from Aisen to the blue glacier San Valentine. Just me and my guy, the captain and first mate. There was a wood-burning stove down in the sleeping quarters! The captain cooked four meals a day...salmon, pasta, soups, made bread as we chugged along down the fjords. We fished and caught those odd eel fish, traded some rice and wine with some outlanders on some island for smoke fish.

I enjoyed seeing people being able to protest things they don't like. It wasn't about me. It's about them. But then, I am delving into my political and beliefs, so I'll leave it at that.

I love the seafood market in Valdivia, the giant sea lions, how you can pick everything you need for a seafood meal, vegetables and spices included, in one spot...and get recipe ideas from the vendor.

I love that I can camp most anywhere...Lago General Carrera...along a grassy outcrop looking over the lake, and an older man who lived in a cabin by the lake invited us for a little asado and took us out to see the Capillas de Marmol in his boat.

How I can see a doctor without waiting two weeks. I loved seeing motorcycles winding down the Austral, stopping at waterfalls and rivers, young hitch-hiking backpackers from all over the world, dusty and not knowing that this might be the last free thing they do for decades.

Chile, for all her foibles, might just be what she is, because of what she is.

Miss Sally

Post by Miss Sally » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks, Vicki, for starting this thread! It reminds me of all the reasons I moved down here plus I wake up to a view of Andes every day.

Piloto

Post by Piloto » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Gloria wrote:
Piloto wrote:
Hey! What happened? I liked the photo of the motorcycle better!
So, what are my chances of finding a reliable used bike... Something along the lines of a Suzuki DR650?
I'd like that.
Maybe you will, BUT that's no the subject of this thread.
(sonrisas!
Perhaps you missed it, but he originally posted a photo of a motorcycle. Well, the motorcycle was right in front.
But, not to make an issue of it!
"Moderation in all things" they say!
Cheers!

griffin

Post by griffin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:35 pm

For all of us with young children at home...

thank heavens we can afford someone to help out with the housework here!
and the kids are growing up bilingual
the food is overall better quality (I don't miss factory-farmed meat and eggs)
the culture is very child-friendly
there is less violent crime than where we came from (usually).

For our family in particular...and mostly La Serena in particular...

we couldn't afford a beach-view house back in California in a nice small city! Or a house near my husband's job. Now he walks to the office. We can walk downtown, or to the mall (still too far for the kids though).
Santa Barbara climate
relaxed lifestyle
we love our kids' school
watching New Year's fireworks from our patio
empanadas and pisco sours and carmenere
the local expat community

I'm sure I could think of more, but my youngest is pestering me now....

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:12 pm

What do I like about Chile????

for example this here:

I took the picture 2 weeks ago not to far from here on the way to the Paso Agua Negra.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Vicki is like the anit-px. I wonder if they will explode on contact?

:boom:

I am not going to tell you why I love Chile, because then a bunch of gringos will move here and ruin it.

Seriously, though I moved to Frutillar with many grand intentions of super-promoting the town as the next super expat destination in Chile. Then it started occuring to me, 'do I really want to do that to Frutillar?'

Notice how little I have discussed Frutillar on the forum. A little bit, but not pushing it all that hard. Not really too interested in needing to compete for a table at our favorite restuarant, fight for tickets at the theater, be treated like crap because some other gringo pissed off whomever in town before I got there. Kind of like it the way it is.

Good thing is, there really is not a lot to buy or rent in town anyway. So, that problem kind of solved itself. I hear puerto varas is nice however.

Chile is a state of mind. All the bad things in Chile, also tends to protect Chile from being overrun with expat bs (panama, costa rica, <insert other expat infested destination here>) and economic mercenaries that can not even tell you what country they are in.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm not really the anti-PX,though maybe a bit of an alter-ego ghost. Had I not found my soul-mate already, I'd probably be stalking PX and trying to convert and soften his hard outer shell. I appreciate and enjoy the history stories ad the realism PX brings to the forum. I never meant my original comment to reflect on anyone specifically, just the general slide towards pointing out the negatives and forgetting all the good shit.

We are who we are, and (let's all hold hands and sway to some music) that's what makes it all a good thing.

Peace, love and Pisco Sours.

Vicki

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Chiloe
Attachments
under the naulka_01.JPG
The Biggest Nalca in the world
under the naulka_01.JPG (14.07 KiB) Viewed 569 times
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver