No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17363
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by admin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

O.k., I am ending all discussion related to rental agencies, good or bad, in Chile.

Why?

Because it is being abused, and every time some new users starts a discussion about the topic, surprise, surprise, some other new user arrives with a recommendation that happens to be a competitor to us in some form or one of the companies that have been banned for spam in the past.

That is it no more. All threads related to it will be deleted. Anyone trying to sneak around it will be banned. This is in the TOS agreement (terms of services or TOS YOU OUT) when you signed up to the forum. I am just making it explicit.

Now, general discussions of housing issues, such as how to rent a house, contracts, and so on. fine. Specific recommendations of agents, companies, and so on can lead to the immediate banning of the users engaged in it.

The other reason is simply:

NEVER RENT ANYTHING IN CHILE WITHOUT SEEING IT FIRST!!!!!

If you are outside the country, rent something short-term (apart hotels are good for a week or two), and once you arrive find something more permanent. You should have a fully signed, notarized contract. Which means you have to be in the country to sign it yourself.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
rocksana
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Espoo

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by rocksana » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Oh, what a shame.
And what happened with the minimum number of posts requirement in order to share a link?

I remember seeing some useful posts, like an expat who was advertising his furnished apartment somewhere downtown Santiago, and I found useful to know about it.

PenquistaDeCorazon
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:50 am

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by PenquistaDeCorazon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm

rocksana wrote:Oh, what a shame.
And what happened with the minimum number of posts requirement in order to share a link?

I remember seeing some useful posts, like an expat who was advertising his furnished apartment somewhere downtown Santiago, and I found useful to know about it.
That would still be allowed under classifieds I believe. What admin is referring to is firms that specifically do some of the same work and send shills to this forum.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17363
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by admin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:59 pm

individual rentals, by private individuals are fine, in the classifieds.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

waves
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: West coast, Canada

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by waves » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:39 pm

What if you’re only renting for a short term period (2 or 3 months)...would you still recommend an apart hotel for 2 weeks and then trying to find something in person or would you recommend a rental agency to help you secure something in advance? We’re coming with children, in the Chilean summer, in a tourist town [La Serena] (i.e., lots of places snatched up in advance) and not quite comfortable with having no accommodation lined up. Would having a reputable rental agency be preferred in that situation? I’m having a lot of difficulty finding individual owners willing to rent to someone from out of country.

User avatar
zer0nz
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:46 am
Location: Lost!
Contact:

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by zer0nz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Short term holiday accommodation is different to relocation apartments, you should treat that like a hotel or an apart hotel, its different to go to a relocation agent and contracting their service to find an apartment for you.........

if you google "apartments for rent la serena chile" in english you will find people advertising in english apartments for rent for your purpose, also check through all the typical holiday booking services, trip advisor, booking.com etc, im sure you will find something....
the ones i found were between 500,000 - 600,000 per month and that was after 2 minutes of looking...... of course its expensive but its short term,

to qualify for cheap pricing in chile you need a 1 year contract, its very hard to find a 6month contract on an apartment, and 1- 3 Month you need to expect to pay premium!

jehturner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1475
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:24 am
Location: La Serena

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by jehturner » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Oh, good thing I posted the La Serena estate agent links for you a couple of weeks ago, waves :o. I doubt they will change much with time anyway...

James.

waves
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: West coast, Canada

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by waves » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:41 am

jehturner wrote:Oh, good thing I posted the La Serena estate agent links for you a couple of weeks ago, waves :o. I doubt they will change much with time anyway...

James.
I know! Shhhh! :wink:

waves
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: West coast, Canada

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by waves » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 am

zer0nz wrote:Short term holiday accommodation is different to relocation apartments, you should treat that like a hotel or an apart hotel, its different to go to a relocation agent and contracting their service to find an apartment for you.........

if you google "apartments for rent la serena chile" in english you will find people advertising in english apartments for rent for your purpose, also check through all the typical holiday booking services, trip advisor, booking.com etc, im sure you will find something....
the ones i found were between 500,000 - 600,000 per month and that was after 2 minutes of looking...... of course its expensive but its short term,

to qualify for cheap pricing in chile you need a 1 year contract, its very hard to find a 6month contract on an apartment, and 1- 3 Month you need to expect to pay premium!
Hmmm, I hadn't actually tried searching in English, haha! Who knew?! :D So what exactly is an "apart hotel"? Are they geared towards short or long term rentals?

User avatar
El Chupacabra
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am
Location: Earth (most of the time)

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by El Chupacabra » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:55 am

waves wrote:
zer0nz wrote:Short term holiday accommodation is different to relocation apartments, you should treat that like a hotel or an apart hotel, its different to go to a relocation agent and contracting their service to find an apartment for you.........

if you google "apartments for rent la serena chile" in english you will find people advertising in english apartments for rent for your purpose, also check through all the typical holiday booking services, trip advisor, booking.com etc, im sure you will find something....
the ones i found were between 500,000 - 600,000 per month and that was after 2 minutes of looking...... of course its expensive but its short term,

to qualify for cheap pricing in chile you need a 1 year contract, its very hard to find a 6month contract on an apartment, and 1- 3 Month you need to expect to pay premium!
Hmmm, I hadn't actually tried searching in English, haha! Who knew?! :D So what exactly is an "apart hotel"? Are they geared towards short or long term rentals?
They are a combination of an apartment & hotel room. Hence the name Apart hotel. Basically a bedroom, washroom, small kitchen stocked with utensil so you can do your own cooking and a small living area. Usually used for short term. Rental rates are usually based on a per day rate, or maybe weekly. I have never rented one out for more than 2 weeks, so I don't know if monthly discounts would apply. Maybe someone else on the forum could help answer that.
Living the life!

Wichuda
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:09 am

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by Wichuda » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 am

This is too bad. We're moving to Santiago this autumn and would like information or links to corporate rental agencies. Can anyone help? Thanks

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: No more housing rental agency discussion on allchile.net

Post by nwdiver » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Wichuda wrote:This is too bad. We're moving to Santiago this autumn and would like information or links to corporate rental agencies. Can anyone help? Thanks


You are moving to Chile, HR department at the company that you will be working for will help you out with agents and housing, no HR department someone in the company may have knowledge of the market and an agent, no people in the company you arrive take an Apart Hotel for a month or two and start your search for a place to live which will take 1-2 months, sometimes a shorter time but don’t count on it. Want to do something else like rent a place sight unseen over the internet (as the Admin noted above) good luck you will not survive your first 6 months in Chile.
It's all about the wine.

Post Reply