packing and moving aid needed!

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
soyena

packing and moving aid needed!

Post by soyena » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi you all,
I am currently at HK (transit from Taiwan) waiting for my flight gets re-confimed because of the closed down of Santiago Airport, not that it has anything to do with my question.

I plan to move to Chile (I am on my way there already) and live with my fiance. We plan to get legally married by the 24th of May, as it is our anniversary. Now, first of all, I would like to know about packing, all my cartons boxes are packed with mixed stuffs such as clothes, books, CDs, decorative items. How do I list them in the packing list? Do I need to list them in details such as: Box1: 3jackets, 4cds, 2books, 4pair of pants. OR can I simply list Box1: clothes, books and CDs.?

2nd question: I am travelling on a tourist visa which is only for 30 days. Can I stay there, get married and stay there for the rest of my life? My husband owns a store and told me that he could employye me first as consultant, therefore grant my immigration. Will it work better this way?

3rd question: Since I am only travelling with tourism visa, therefore, I guess I will not be able to claim that those were my luggages. On the other hand, my fiance's been living there for 10 years already and is currently just started to apply for his Chilean citizenship, could we say that those were his luggages? He's visiting me for 2 months now here at Taiwan and now we are flying to Chile together.

thanks in advance for any help or ideas that anyone will provide. I will greatly appreciate them!

Soyena

otravers

Re: packing and moving aid needed!

Post by otravers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Welcome. Not the best week to get practical advice given recent events and what everyone is focused on, so please be patient.

RE: packing, not you don't need to be that detailed. You need to have an overall list of what you bring, but you don't need to over-detail by the content of each box.

soyena

Post by soyena » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 am

Otraver, Thanks for the reply!
Cus the customs broker keeps telling me that they need a exact detail of each box, as in 3 pencil, 4 pens, etc! damn!!!!

Hope someone could answer my question as to how do I apply for marriage or residency... which one should come first. My fiance is not yet Chilean himself...

EVERFREE

Post by EVERFREE » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm

soyena wrote: Cus the customs broker keeps telling me that they need a exact detail of each box, as in 3 pencil, 4 pens, etc! damn!!!!
I am also wanting to move to Chile but haven't been able to piece together how to pack.

I'd like to ship some of my things after I get there get a residency visa. I have boxes of books, small power tools, horse tack, a multi-monitor desktop computer and misc household personal stuff and keepsakes. I want to start packing but need to know exactly how to label the boxes, account for what's inside and set values for the content. Maybe someone has created a form or something to help with that or has some links for some shipping companies or detail about importing household things.

I was told by someone who lives there that Fedex is a good choice for people that don't have much to ship but that won't do for me.

soyena

Post by soyena » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:02 am

Everfree,
I am already in Chile! Actually what I did is, unbelievable, but yeah, I listed the items under major groups such as clothes for pants, jackets, underwears, etc., as well as office supplies for pens, etc. Hell with my broker, LOL

But I am stucked though, I still have not yet been able to understand whether I should send my items under my name or under my fiance's name, since I am here on tourist visa. *Sigh*

By the way to everyone who's reading, we are currently living in Santiago Vitacura I think... so... if you've got any tips on the best for the money restaurants or foods, let me know! I am starving!