Respect for private property?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Real State

Re: Respect for private property?

Post by Real State » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 pm

well, i have to say that chile is not a paradise of security, but maybe you dont know that there are still certain areas very safe in the country. i live in the metropolitan region in the south (near paine) in a parcela (not condo, not security but many people of high income living here) and lived by 13 years here. when i came to live was very safe, including the town of paine (sometimes the shops were open without nobody inside and you had to call people to buy something). sadly the last 6 years the security here is lower than the past (mostly because the goverment move some santiaguinos from lower classes to the town for social houses), but still i have never had a problem with it. i have 23 neighbours (in parcelas) and just one was robbed but he wasnt in his house, like 5 years ago. but i have to say that everyone has theire dogs here. the winter and spring are very safe time but sometimes the summer is a little bit dangerous cause other people come to work in agriculture. also i dont have a gun and i think that i dont need it. in other places near of here but far from the town (or little city) of paine is safer i have friends living about 5 kms from the town and they dont have any protection, not even dogs.

for the guns. i had never knew about a murder here, and i never heard about a violent crime, just going inside of lonely houses (and i live just 30 kms from santiago). i think some of you have some kind of paranoia or stress. in the other wat the police is very fast, at least when my neihbour was robbed the cops went there in 16 minutes and he live about 3 kms from police station. the danger zones in chile i would say some places in santiago, valparaiso (all the ) and some places in certain cities as iquique, antofagasta, rancagua, talca, concepcion and temuco. but other big areas in those cities are very safe. in santiago unveliable the dowontown have specific places very safe. i lived time ago in the republica barrio in central santiago and was very safe there.

as brief i can say that 20 years ago the country was safer and santiago not too much. now i have to say that the country is not so safe and santiago is just in the average of chile. but for murder rates chile is still under canada and of course usa.

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Dear garbage can thief,
I do appreciate the fact that you didn't dump the garbage from "MY NOW YOUR" garbage can in my yard before you took it. However, I do so hope when you empty it that the 2 large bags of dog caca in the bottom of the can get all over your shoes. Furthermore, I hope you don't notice and walk into your house tracking said caca through every room in your house.
I will buy another garbage can, but I'm onto you sucker. I'm pretty sure the next time you attempt to take it I will know immediately. But what to do with you?
Sincerely,
Garbage can-less gringo

Dear Foros,
Anyone have any idea what I should do when I catch the thief red-handed? I plan to catch him McGyver style.
It IS only a garbage can, but still it's MY F'n garbage can.
Maybe I should have some caca bombs on hand just for the occasion, but i am open to suggestions, including doing nothing if so advised.
Thanks in advance,
SWD
Scout's Honor

trabajo en progreso

Post by trabajo en progreso » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Paint your street number and street name on your garbage can in big white letters.

swdchile

Post by swdchile » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:22 pm

That's what my wife said, but I told her that the thief would just use a can of black spray paint to cover it up. But I'll try it anyway. Thanks.
Scout's Honor

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Put a concrete anchor in the ground, and a chain long enough for the garbage men to empty the can. Then it won't go anywhere (and it will make lots of noise if it is moved).
Or, get one of those little electronic tripwire alarms and if the cord gets pulled, thief caught. Though it might freak out the garbage men.
Or, you could pay a lot for a GPS tracking beacon... depends on cost/benefit vs replacing trash cans :)

otravers

Post by otravers » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Chain your trash containers or be ready to kiss them goodbye. The prevalence of theft in this country cannot be overstated.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Get your nice new garbage can, hide inside with some awesome florescent spray paint ready to go, or some pepper spray?

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Spray paint them bright florescent colours in graffiti type patterns, Chileans being Chileans don’t want the hassle of repainting something they got for free, works for a friend in Providencia, she touches up the paint curbside a couple of times a year, this was after losing several new garbage cans. I kept telling her don’t buy “NEW” acquire old beat up cans.
It's all about the wine.

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Assuming you buy another one, just drive around your neighbourhood. There's only going to be two of you with a trash can :roll:

Then steal it back! :twisted:

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:05 am

Back to the original topic about respect for private property. Most people the world over have no respect for private property. We don't need to look any further than intellectual property. I think many Americans need to clean the mote out of their eyes before looking for the spec in other eyes.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:29 am

Ripsigg wrote:Back to the original topic about respect for private property. Most people the world over have no respect for private property. We don't need to look any further than intellectual property. I think many Americans need to clean the mote out of their eyes before looking for the spec in other eyes.
Ditto. But one of the prime reasons they do it is because it's not chained down (yet) and most people don't know how to go after the thieves and punish them. Probably the same as every other bit of thievery. We need to start tarring and feathering again.

atacama78

Post by atacama78 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 am

The concept of the theft of private property depends on your perspective of capitalism or communalism. Chileans are much more communal than their northern counterparts. Here I reference the first peoples of the Americas and their perspective about ownership. Also, those who were held in servitude against their will and the impoverished also view private ownership and theft differently. From the lyrics of Inti-Illimani's song Samba Landó:

Samba landó, samba landó
¿Qué tienes tú que no tenga yo?

Mi padre siendo tan pobre
dejo una herencia fastuosa:
"para dejar de ser cosas
-dijo con ánimo entero-
ponga atención, mi compadre,
que vienen nuevos negreros".

Capitalists and especially foreigners are viewed as the "nuevos negreros" - the new enslavers. Even the famous gringo writer, Upton Sinclair, regularly referred to those who work for others as "wage slaves." That is the whole basis of capitalism - pay a worker a wage less than the value of their productive value. Money is not made. Value is extracted from underpaying workers and capitalizing on their dependency of a paycheck. No wonder why certain people believe that they should take something back in return - even if it is a garbage can.