WARNING: Chile shipping companies and door to door

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
zer0nz

Re: WARNING: Chile shipping companies and door to door

Post by zer0nz » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 am

Catchi wrote:I am probably gonna catch all kinds a flak for this...

I was thinking about trying a DIY shipment of my own house old goods to Chile.

I helped some friends 10 or 12 years ago. I was in Calama at the time and my GF asked me to take my truck to Antofogasta to get her friends husbands stuff.
The husband was an English ex-pat.

We had to go back and forth between the court house and aduana on the dock a few times, but after producing enough paper work to kill a tree, they gave us the box and said 'gracia, chao chao'

They didn't look in the box, they ... were completely uninterested and really pretty kind about it all.

My wife is Chilean and we live in the US right now. We are trying to work out a way to move back to Chile.
What I had planned to do was buy a 20' container, throw everything (including the kitchen sink) in the container and ship it.
Make arrangements with some friends to meet me at the dock when it shows up and haul it to a friends property and let it sit till we get squared away.

I had planned to throw the car in the container too.

Can you explain about used cars?? I must be missing something. There are hundreds of them in Punta Arenas and most Chilenos that I know sure cannot afford anything new.

You mean an ex-pat can't bring one in? Can my wife? She asked the consulate and they said 'sure' just pay the licensing fees. (at least that is the story I got).

I had planned to bring any food that was not almonds or fresh. (yea I know, but there is quite a bit that I would hate to have to replace).

Thats a start.

Open to all opinions.

Catchi???
i suggest you takea trip to chile to see how much chileans can afford now, everyone has new cars!,

your wife as a returning chilean can bring the car....... make sure its worth it..... and read the law inside out....

You wont just be able to pick the container up at the dock, you will need to organise a aduanas agent to do the paperwork........

Catchi

Post by Catchi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:32 am

Looks like I did a dual post. Sorry...

" . . . make sure its worth it . . . ." ?? to bring my wife ?? or the car ?? (KIDDING !)

Any chance you can point me at that law???

I have been to Chile recently, 3 times in the last 14 months actually, I am still trying to get the .. como se llama?? Ministerio de relaciones exteriores in Punta Arenas to get my daughters paper work right so she will have a Chilean birth certificate. You are right, most Chilenos are in better shape than they were 12 years ago, but most of my friends still can't afford "new" cars. But they eat better and their houses are warmer than they used to be, so its all good.

Thanks for your advise.

Cachi

Catchi

Post by Catchi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:48 am

SERIOUSLY !!

Dude...

Lemme give you the whole story.
Like I said I have been working on that boat as a science support person for a lot of years.

I met my wife in PA. We did all the immagration work ourselves and about the time we got here (to the US) she/we got pregnant.

The baby was born in Sept of 2009. In Dec of 2009, we all went back to PA and my wife and baby stayed there while I went on another science cruise. Before I left PA (Dec 2009) we went to the ministerio de relaciones exteriores. We talked with them and they gave us the run down. WE paid them like 250 luca and gave them an original copy of the babies birth certificate. They said it would take about 6 months. They sent the thing all over creation. I guess it went to the US state dept, to the Chilean consulate in LA and back again. It has all kinds of stamps on it now. They returned it to some friends of mine in PA. I was under the impression that it was all done. I picked it up on my next visit and took it to the civil registers office and they said "ok, great, in about 30 days you will be able to get your baby a birth certificate."

So I went about my business and came back in 30 days. In the mean time they had sent a letter to my friends in PA saying there was a problem. I didn't have any time in PA that visit so I took the papers to the civil registers office in Puerto Natalis and talked and talked and talked to the folks. They called PA and no body could tell me the problem. So I waited till my last trip (last November) and I went myself to the CR and they explained to me that the birth certificate was all well and fine and processed correctly but that I needed an official translation for it as well. I took it all back to the minister of external relations again and talked to a very nice man. He confirmed the situation and I asked him why it was not translated in the first place while they had it. He said he did not know. I asked him could he get me a quote on an official translation, he said 'yes'. So I left him with all the pap. . .

lets cut to the chase.

I have sent it off again and it came back (once more) as an unoficial translation.

Any advise on how to get an official translation? If it has to go back to Santiago I have a friend there that I can get it sent to and he will get it done (he's good like that).

I do have other potions as well (Like get my firend in PA to take the papers back to the minister of exterior relations guy).

As far as living in PA... I can't take the weather.. . . I love the place, I love the people, but the wind and the rain. . . even on the best day...
We are thinking about Pto Varas/Pto Montt...

Gotta run
THANK YOU for your reply

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Some good advice on this thread, does anyone have experience of shipping companies from UK to here? Looks like I could be shipping my stuff in about 6weeks.

Does anybody know anything if you can ship in wooden furniture/artefacts? Maybe by declaring them it's no problem and they’ll just spray them? I've got various teak furniture, different statuettes and a variety of unusual masks from Africa.

Like was said previously here everything will get sprayed but does that mean they will unpack unwrap all your items to do that?

Other items I’ve shipped to the UK I’ve collected at the docks myself, paying those extra charges for unloading, handling and custom presentation but the boxes were still unopened... Has anyone gone to the docks here in person to collect items/containers and how have they found the experience? I guess the main thing is to itemise everything well and have a Chilean person with you when you collect.

Oh and my advice to anyone is have everything well crated up, as with consolidated containers your belongings could end up on the bottom with heavy items stored on top and remember they’ll be using forklifts to move your create around so make it forklift friendly, I’ve heard of them (dock workers in general) just pushing crates around with the fork going through the side. Hopefully Chile will not be as bad as in other countries (Brazil!!)

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 am

Catchi wrote:I had planned to throw the car in the container too.
Can you explain about used cars??
Look at the allchile wiki "Cars" article to see whether it answers your questions:
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index ... _a_vehicle
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 am

VERY interesting Andres, I’ve looked into importing my used motorbike but all the signs tell me it’s impossible but maybe I can to use it off road and that’s where I want to use it... your wiki link said “Offroad vehicles such as motocross motorcycles, which may never be legally registered or permitted on public roads, can usually be imported into Chile, subject to valuation by Aduanas and payment of corresponding taxes and fees, which may amount to 25 percent or more of the value of the vehicle.” Hmmmmm...this different angle to import my bike may just work...?

Any answers to my post just above anyone? Thanks!!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:39 pm

bump
It's all about the wine.

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 am

MrDuck wrote:VERY interesting Andres, I’ve looked into importing my used motorbike but all the signs tell me it’s impossible but maybe I can to use it off road and that’s where I want to use it... your wiki link said “Offroad vehicles such as motocross motorcycles, which may never be legally registered or permitted on public roads, can usually be imported into Chile, subject to valuation by Aduanas and payment of corresponding taxes and fees, which may amount to 25 percent or more of the value of the vehicle.” Hmmmmm...this different angle to import my bike may just work...?

Any answers to my post just above anyone? Thanks!!
Just had the reply below from the customs and it wasn't good news for my bike...see below

Regarding your question about the possibility of detaining a used motorcycle, specifically the "off road" for off-road use, please be informed that it is not feasible interning used motorcycles since all motorcycles, are of any type, importation is prohibited, as provided in Article 21 of law No. 18,483 of 1985.
You can only import motorcycles new, unused, of the past year and model manufacturing and zero kilometers.

lunaazul

Post by lunaazul » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 am

HI, I am planning to ship my belongings Berlin-Santiago in about 4 weeks.

Can anyone tell me, from previous experience, what are the usual costs involved in such an overseas move. i have been asking for estimates from many different companies in many different variations (door to door, door to port, port to door) and it has been incredibly difficult to get estimates.
I know so much: I am most probably sending 2 liftvans (12m³).
A Chilean agente de aduanas gave us an offer to take care of them from Valparaiso and transport to Santiago for 3000 USD which seemed extremely pricey for the last part of the journey.
I would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences and information, and some tips about essential things not to overlook.

jonbonn

Post by jonbonn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:47 am

Hi.. my wife is chilian and we are taking a container in her name, the content is second hand house hold and tools some house hold electrical like tv, amps, ps3, xbox, can anybody help with any advise on port costs for chilian native moving back to chile.. thanks and regards

Aysen

Post by Aysen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 am

jonbonn wrote:Hi.. my wife is chilian and we are taking a container in her name, the content is second hand house hold and tools some house hold electrical like tv, amps, ps3, xbox, can anybody help with any advise on port costs for chilian native moving back to chile.. thanks and regards
Port costs do seem to vary depending on the port. I try at all costs to avoid San Antonio. Here at our port (Chacabuco) they are quite low.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Lunazul: I recently paid 4500 USD for 6CBM from Copenhagen to Santiago (excluding aduana). 15 cbm was quoted at 7000USD.
It was a Danish company. For the Chilean part, they used Decapack. Seemed professional to me and would not hesitate in using them again.