MOVING TO CHILE

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Britkid

Re: MOVING TO CHILE

Post by Britkid » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 am

Is it a real lake or does it disappear if you get near it or turn out to be a salt flat?
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

rocksana

Post by rocksana » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:03 am

Donnybrook wrote:You can drive on your Polish license as long as you remain a tourist. After that you need to get a local license. Yes, there are tests run by the municipality where you live. Proof that you completed primary school is required. If you use the search function here, many threads on the subject will pop up.

I think there are two versions. Some countries have agreements, such that you don't need (in theory...) to take any exams to obtain the Chilean drivers license.
At the Chilean consulate in Helsinki we were told that there is an agreement and we can drive with our Finnish licenses, but in Chile the Carabineros think we need to take the driving test and the theory test as well :o (if we intended to stay).

So there are two rules apparently :)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:01 am

Britkid wrote:Is it a real lake or does it disappear if you get near it or turn out to be a salt flat?
In fact is one of those portable that Chileans use in their backyard and they call it "swimming pool" but is hardly considered a "bidet". However a family of 10 can fit in it! :lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:38 pm

What are we talking about here? The fast learning nurse who doesn't speak spanish or something from 3 months back?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 pm

jamie_m wrote:What are we talking about here? The fast learning nurse who doesn't speak spanish or something from 3 months back?
:lol: :lol: :lol: she's fast alright. So fast that she spells speak "speek". Never mind Jamie....N'thng to worry about :D
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:06 pm

rocksana wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:You can drive on your Polish license as long as you remain a tourist. After that you need to get a local license. Yes, there are tests run by the municipality where you live. Proof that you completed primary school is required. If you use the search function here, many threads on the subject will pop up.

I think there are two versions. Some countries have agreements, such that you don't need (in theory...) to take any exams to obtain the Chilean drivers license.
At the Chilean consulate in Helsinki we were told that there is an agreement and we can drive with our Finnish licenses, but in Chile the Carabineros think we need to take the driving test and the theory test as well :o (if we intended to stay).

So there are two rules apparently :)
I have heard that Spaniards have some special relationship with Chile in certain matters, not specifically driving licenses. I have often heard of Chilean consulates not knowing what they are talking about.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Take a month or six weeks and go to Chile. Stay in two or three different areas. Plan for at least six months before you fly. Contact prospective employers and visit the facilities.Try to figure out how much you will earn. Wages are usually expressed as a monthly amount. Figure out your housing costs, etc. See what you can afford as far as housing. Calculate how much you'll need from savings to survive.
Drink wine. Go home. Nurses don't earn $40 an hour in Chile assuming you're a RN.

nymrtz

Post by nymrtz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:04 pm

So are tourist and temporary visas really free for US citizens? I just checked the fee chart on the Chilean government website that says so (atleast for temp visa) but I feel there is a catch.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:40 pm

????

From the extranjeria website:

Temporary and work visa.
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 2.39.39 PM.jpg
And don't forget the fee to begin working immediately while your app is in tramite.

And yes, it was once free, only fee I paid (outside the small fees for foto, PDI paperwork fee, carnet fee, etc.) to get to permanent residency was the discounted fee for those applying via marriage to a Chilean citizen.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nymrtz

Post by nymrtz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Maybe the English version is out of date? The chart there still lists it as free. Too good to be true!

http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/ingles/fi ... _CHART.pdf

How much is the fee to start working while the app is being processed?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:49 pm

I believe 50% of the visa fee.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER rely on the English version of any Chilean website for up to date info. Always use the Spanish version first.

Linked from the main page under Aranceles:

http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/2015/03/45778.pdf
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nymrtz

Post by nymrtz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:57 pm

whew, thanks for the advice! I would have ended up coming over short-handed and feeling very silly.