MOVING TO CHILE

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Irishman

Re: MOVING TO CHILE

Post by Irishman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Would ya ever catch yourself on love! Innocent and pure, me arse. Have pm'd you. :-)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Irishman wrote:Would ya ever catch yourself on love! Innocent and pure, me arse. Have pm'd you. :-)
Your arse's innocence is probably questionable!! :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Ok friends and neighbors..........who's moving to Chile?? :mrgreen:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

shaicollins

Post by shaicollins » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:54 pm

sorry Irishman for contact u,I didn't known that blacks are not permitted here ,am not the type of person u are painting me .sorry for asking u question

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 pm

If I was in Nigeria, I'd also do anything I could to get out. As admin said, this is not his market. Lot's of underhanded psycho/sociopathic human traffickers for those with little choice. Outside of surprising stability vs. the rest of the developing world, I suspect many think (not equal to reality) Chile being a VWP country means it is an easy stepping stone for onward immigration to the lands of milk and honey.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:20 am

shaicollins wrote:sorry Irishman for contact u,I didn't known that blacks are not permitted here ,am not the type of person u are painting me .sorry for asking u question
We actually only care what color your money is, and is it clean. However, there is a bigger issue related to that we face.

When I say 'not our market', I am referring to countries with high endemic corruption that are too expensive for us to handle / and / or the nationals are required to apply through the Chilean consulate (i.e. they are on a restricted 30 day visa or similar).

So, say someone from some random country in Africa wants to move to Chile. We are responsible for verifying the documents we submit to government offices, independent of the standard legalization or other steps the Chilean government requires. So, for each country we need extensive infrastructure and contacts to run verification on documents. Some countries are easier than others, but for the most part we need to have a good productive flow of clients from that country, to justify spending the time and money to build up the procedures to verify the documents, income, and so on of the client. For example, China has a pile of corruption, and false documents are easy to come by. However, due to having lived in China, we have a lot of contacts in China, we know what to look for in terms false documents and illegal or shady behavior from a potential client. So, we can handle China, and there are plenty of Chinese to make it worth our while to deal with it.

If we submit just once, false documents to the Chilean government office, beyond the possibility of criminal and civil penalties, it damages our ability and trust we have built up with the government officials we depend on to solve problems every day. So, I am not going to risk years of work building and maintaining that relationship on handling immigration for someone that more than likely will never hire us for anything else.

We are not the U.N. refugee agency.

Let me remind everyone, our immigration services are more or less a loss leader. We make some money off of it, but not much relative to the work involved. Our money is made in building relationships with clients that go on to start companies, need wills, buy property, get married, get divorced, whatever in Chile. People with bigger plans in Chile, and immigration services just happens to be a relatively small stepping stone to other things they want to do. We are not interested in just doing a one time transaction for a work visa or something. We don't for instance generally take U.S. or European English teachers as clients.

So, the red flag that I watch for (after all these years), as to not waist our time or anyone else's time, is when someone is asked what country are they a national of, and I get some wishy washy response like 'I am in the U.K.' or 'I am working in the United States' rather than directly answering the question (I am going to find out sooner or later anyway, so don't waist my time), it has proven to be a 100% indicator that someone already knows why we are not going to take them as a client.

sorry.

But, hey, that is what the forum is for. It is to cover all the people, we don't cover. If you read through all the info that has been posted over the years, along with some other sources, most everyone can work out how to do their own immigration process.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:28 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:If I was in Nigeria, I'd also do anything I could to get out. As admin said, this is not his market. Lot's of underhanded psycho/sociopathic human traffickers for those with little choice. Outside of surprising stability vs. the rest of the developing world, I suspect many think (not equal to reality) Chile being a VWP country means it is an easy stepping stone for onward immigration to the lands of milk and honey.
Surprisingly, this last week or two, I am getting a rather steady stream of email and phone calls from people that are already in the U.S., both legally and illegally, looking to leave the U.S. Like a real noticeable bump. Lot's of Asians, Africans, Haitens, and so on that made it to the land of Milk and Honey, just to find out they were all out of Milk, Honey, Sugar, and everything else.

I seen two rather shocking statistics recently, in different sources I don't recall. There were 15,000 Haitens that immigrated both legally and illegally to the United States in 2016. There were 34,000 that immigrated to Chile.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:59 pm

"Let me remind everyone, our immigration services are more or less a loss leader." "Our money is made in building relationships with clients that go on to start companies, need wills, buy property, get married, get divorced, whatever in Chile."

All these years I have been under the impression that it was the other way around. Hmm.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:20 am

Rhodolite wrote:"Let me remind everyone, our immigration services are more or less a loss leader." "Our money is made in building relationships with clients that go on to start companies, need wills, buy property, get married, get divorced, whatever in Chile."

All these years I have been under the impression that it was the other way around. Hmm.
I would say immigration related work is like 5% to perhaps 10% of our revenue (not sure, still doing the end of the year review). Perhaps even less. The whole classic expat relocation thing, where someone immigrates, buys a property, moves the family is now less than 30% of our sales. 90% of our clients have been with us over a year, and most of them longer than that. Yea, a lot of our clients might have come to us first for immigration, but then later they need to for example buy a property, draft a will, start a small business, or whatever. Kind of all the legal issues that come along with just living life in Chile, or anywhere else. Even among the classic expat clients, if everything goes well and especially when things go bad, immigration is one of the more minor legal issues they face in Chile.

All of our clients are 100% foreigners, or have foreign related cases, just relocation is not the only reason foreigners need legal services in Chile. We handle lot's of things like divorces, international child custody cases, inheritance, various types of foreign investments or corporate type work. Coolest one we did last year was we helped some foreign scientist build a telescope in northern Chile. We went from just Global to Galactic. Perhaps we will open an office on Mars.

Somewhere along the line with those sorts of cases, someone might need immigration related services, but that is not the primary reason we are involved. Many times there is no good reason for our clients to obtain a residency or citizenship, and quite a few of our clients have never even been to Chile and will never have reason to come to Chile. For example, we have a lot of foreign attorneys and law firms that hire us to handle things in Chile for them. Inheritance related work is another one where the client typically has no reason to come to Chile in person. Some relative dies in Chile, and they hire us to sort out the estate and liquidate the assets.

So, immigration related work is a common service we provide, but it is a relatively small segment. Pure play, someone just hiring us to do immigration and nothing else is getting to be a pretty rare event in our business. We still get a few, but they were always more of an exception and mostly meant it was someone that left Chile for whatever reason fairly soon after getting residency.

harshalx

Post by harshalx » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:49 am

Hello,

This question has been asked earlier on this forum, but its references are witihn the 2008-2009 timeframe and hence I
am pressed to ask it again.

I work as a contractor with a IT consulting firm. Recently they asked me whether I'd be willing to move to Santiago, Chile for taking up a 3 year contract
with one of the 2 big retail companies out there. I have traveled North Americas, Europe and Ausrtralia regions, but have never been to any place in
South America. I am really excited about this opportunity since I don't believe my work will ever take me to South America and I do have a bit of
a wanderlust to satisfy.

My company is negotiating with me at the moment and is offering me 90K USD per year as compensation. I am totally confused at the moment whether to say yes
to this figure or to negotiate for more. By reading other forums and in general on the web, its clear that the salary for IT skills in Chile cannot be
compared with the ones in US or Australia, as the cost of living is cheaper, but I'm not able to decide on the exact figure.

I'm planning to move there with my wife and < 3 year old daughter, so getting her started with an English Medium school is bit of a must for me. Also, I'd
like to live a decent outgoing lifestyle where I am able to hire a car at least once a month and see the Chilean country (thats a BIG reason for me to
get interested in this contract). A quiet dinner out once a week wouldn't be bad either. I would ideally not want to get into the hassle of owning a car and
prefer a metro or public transport.

While this question has been explored in other threads on this forum as well as on other forums, the advises are so wide-ranging that its hard to make a
decision.

Do you guys think 90K is a decent figure?

Thanks.
harshalx

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes, it's a lot even for Santiago. I doubt that they pay top local IT and developers more than $50-60k.

harshalx

Post by harshalx » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:24 am

Thanks Space Cat.

Is it also the case in Chile that IT is considered as one of the most high paying jobs? which will warrant 50-60k that an avg IT professional gets also well above median..?