MOVING TO CHILE

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
admin
Site Admin

MOVING TO CHILE

Post by admin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Welcome to the Moving to Chile Thread.

New users should take note that this forum was originally split from "Living in Chile" forum. Using the search function, you may find related information in that forum.

This forum is related to everything up to and slightly after you arrive in Chile, especially the early planning phase. Please use the Living in Chile forum for day to day life.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Anani Noa

Re: MOVING TO CHILE

Post by Anani Noa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 am

I'm trying to find the thread about bringing dog / cat / pet / animals to Chile. Especially the one with the link to needed documents. I know that they're here somewhere since I've seen them before. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

All my advanced searches haven't found this topic yet. Shouldn't it be in Moving to Chile?

Thanks!
Anani

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:38 am

Ellen-y-Rene

Post by Ellen-y-Rene » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Hello again

We just moved to Chile and are running into difficulties.

HELP. We read that some of you use Transbank with good experiences. Is getting a cuenta corriente with Transbank just easy for american customers or also available for us dutch?

The banco de chile is refusing new customers when they do not have a permanent visa. They say the rules have sharpened because of some kind of fraud with the current economic crisis in the USA and the rest of the world.
The law of Chile is that you first get a temporary visa for a year and then when living in Chile you can apply for a permanent status. But the bank only gives you a cuenta corriente if you have permanent visa. How do you get through this kind of this idiocy?

We didn't ask for credit just an account where we can transfer our own money to, because we have more than enough to live on and rent or buy a house, but you can't get that message through :evil: . We are now also trying with banco Santander but are not very hopeful. We read that some of you use Transbank with good experiences. Is getting a cuenta corriente with Transbank just easy for american customers or also available for us dutch?

A warning to all others who want to rent a good house in the Metropolitan, we are also experiencing problems with real estate agents and houseowners in Santiago who want all kinds of garantees that -as a foreigner and new in this land- you can not give unless you have a job and/or are a chilean yourself and or have a regular chilean bank account :x . We now try it with offering a year rent in advance, ofcourse well checked out by a legal agent and via a notary.

Thanks for swift reply,
Ellen y Rene

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 pm

Dear Ellen,

We opened an account with Banco Estado with our temporary visas (RUN). Even then, we got the once over and they requested everything but a pubic hair before completing the paperwork. We know that - at the time - it was not necessary or required, but they wanted to see documents for the property we owned, any utility accounts in our name, contract for the contruction, paperwork from our bank in the other country. Crazy. I said screw it, I don't care..and plopped a folder full of paperwork on the bank managers desk and let him copy it. When they wanted some other obsurd document, our attorney called them and had a chat. It's a classic Tuesday Thursday Three Stooges Skit. Tuesdays the rules are this, Thursday the rules are something else, unless of course if on Wednesday, someones mother needs a new set of dentures, then you revert to the frightening and complicated Monday set of rules which are in effect and good only during odd years or during the Chinese Year of the Rat. In this case, you will be required to wear purple, turn around three times and kiss the ground, then, you will get a bank account.

Hope this helps. At the very least, you should not feel put upon, or put out. 'Tis the way.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote:Dear Ellen,

We opened an account with Banco Estado with our temporary visas (RUN). Even then, we got the once over and they requested everything but a pubic hair before completing the paperwork. We know that - at the time - it was not necessary or required, but they wanted to see documents for the property we owned, any utility accounts in our name, contract for the contruction, paperwork from our bank in the other country. Crazy. I said screw it, I don't care..and plopped a folder full of paperwork on the bank managers desk and let him copy it. When they wanted some other obsurd document, our attorney called them and had a chat. It's a classic Tuesday Thursday Three Stooges Skit. Tuesdays the rules are this, Thursday the rules are something else, unless of course if on Wednesday, someones mother needs a new set of dentures, then you revert to the frightening and complicated Monday set of rules which are in effect and good only during odd years or during the Chinese Year of the Rat. In this case, you will be required to wear purple, turn around three times and kiss the ground, then, you will get a bank account.

Hope this helps. At the very least, you should not feel put upon, or put out. 'Tis the way.
I couldn't help to laugh my ass off!!! And you forgot to mention to shine the Pope's little red shoes. :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahahaha.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Anani Noa

Post by Anani Noa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks Vicki!

Have just read all the posts on bringing animals / dog / cat / pets that I can find. Can't find any page with links to required documents.

I understand that animals need current shots. The only one that is required that I know of is rabies. Is this true?

Is there a specific form that the veterinarian must fill out with the vaccination records or can it just be on a piece of their stationary? Or is there some kind of official "International Vaccination Certificate" that they must fill out? If so, my vet doesn't know about it.

It also seems that the pet needs an examination 10 days prior to departing. Correct? Does this have to be on a special form or just the vet's stationary?

Anything else?

Can we bring dry pet food with them on the flights? Will it be confiscated when we enter Chile?

I know that lots of you have brought pets into Chile. Any concise answers are greatly appreciated!

And Charles, when you have time, could you possibly move all the bringing animals threads to Moving to Chile? It would be great if they were consolidated and easy to find.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! 8)

Anani

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I will look for a link to the forms. Max had several vaccinations, and some type of blood test. And dog food was confiscated upon arrival at the airport. I had brought 10-pounds of Pedigree in a sealed bag to get us through until we settled...Nosiree! No pet food. So, I will look for the link for you...I am thinking I found it on the SAG sight.

vicki

Ellen-y-Rene

Post by Ellen-y-Rene » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:21 pm

Dear Vicki, thanks for your reply. Although we don't feel better about the way the system works :twisted: , your story did put a big smile on our face :D . We went in the bank last friday with the feeling that it was oké because they delivered a little orange paper at our appartment. It was an adress verification. When we showed the lady of the bank that paper and our fresh cédula de identidad with our RUT, with a happy smile on our face, she didn't know what to do with us, so she made a copy of more of our papers en we had to make a thumbprint (for the second time). Now we have to wait till monday as we will be informed if we get an account. I have the feeling that we won't. We found some information on the net about Transbank and we will look into that over the weekend. We will give an update on monday about the result of all of this. If monday gives a pleasant surprise and we are accepted as accountholdersa lot of :lol: will be attatched. Kind regards Ellen.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Note: this information needs verification.

Some financial companies in Chile may offer investment instruments that are suitable for tourists (without even temporary residency). Just your foreign passport and RUT should be fine. This product is rather an 'investment device', and not a bank account in the classical sense (no ATM card, no checkbook, and probably no account #). However, you may have the ability to invest in Chilean securities, and put the money into some of their money market funds. You may probably fund such account via wire transfer into their correspondent account(s) in the U.S. How to find such companies. Go to: www .bolsadesantiago .com then click Corredores de Bolsa. Then try them all, one by one. I would advise to visit them in person.

Ellen-y-Rene

Post by Ellen-y-Rene » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks Rune, we will look in to it. Ellen and René.

john

Post by john » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 am

My wife Mary and I are looking forward to relocating to Vina in March; however, we will be retaining our current residence in Long Beach, CA for the forseeable future. Has anyone had experience with having mail, that was addressed to their USA residence, forwarded to their new residence in Chile? Thanks in advance.
john
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell