Questions about moving to La Araucania

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
magfhinn

Questions about moving to La Araucania

Post by magfhinn » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 am

Hello all,
So my family and I have been discussing moving from our home place in the West of Ireland to somewhere a bit different. The Azores and Chile are the two we are really leaning towards. So I have a few questions regarding Chile as I have never been there. Basically, my wife and I are wanting to move somewhere with a strong collective agricultural community. I know the Mapuche peoples have communities like this. I guess my big first questions are as follows.

We would really only be looking for a house and a couple hectares. Would this be easy to find in La Araucania? How do Mapuche peoples feel about gringos moving to their towns and villages? Are there community based agriculture schemes that we could become a part of? We are just regular people (not dreadlocked hippie types) with a love and respect for the land and a willingness to learn local farming practises, would we be welcomed or shunned by locals? I am a carpenter and fine wood worker by trade, would there be some work in this region?

Thank you

alextrombone

Re: Questions about moving to La Araucania

Post by alextrombone » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:53 am

magfhinn wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 am
Would this be easy to find in La Araucania? How do Mapuche peoples feel about gringos moving to their towns and villages?
The Mapuche probably feel like any other indigenous group feels when Europeans try to move into their land. I would avoid doing this.

La Araucania is a mess at the moment anyway due to years of conflict between the Chilean government and the Mapuche.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 am

you understand there is a civil war in the 9th region?

you can't buy mapuche land, and you don't want to buy anything near mapuche land that might be mistaken for mapuche land someday.

The mapuche don't do a whole lot of farming. they don't really live in any sort of collective. like they have towns, but no different than any other town in the 9th region. few more signs in their language.

They are mostly just professionally poor. The vast majority live in cities now, and don't even recognize their mapuche heritage, they don't know anything about it, and they don't want to know anything about.

as a foriegner, stay out of it.

You are either viewed as a foriegner trying to take their land, or the government views you as a foriegn influence in the conflict. Neither ends well for you.

Just buy a piece of land.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Just.....don't even think about it!

https://twitter.com/aprachile
I voted Rechazo!

mem

Post by mem » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:39 pm

We have lived in eastern Araucania for 6 years continously since moving from the US
It is a great place for those that want to live a rural/agricultural life away and far from mid to big size cities.

There is a lot of saber rattling about Araucania and the mapuche...none of which I have been able to validate as being seriously relevant to me and my families aims,lifestyle, or security.
As mentioned most of the troublemaking subset of mapuche are living in and near cities...like temuco or Victoria..I wouldn't move anywhere near temuco anymore than I would move near any other mid to big cities.

I have dealings with a couple legit mapuche that live a rural life like we do, near us, and at least as far as my personal dealings they have been quality individuals that I respect and respect me.

I wont hold the drama and baggage of the violent that lay claim to being mapuche against my local upstanding mapuche who are just trying to live and survive...not foment some ridiculous revolution.

Our question at this point is our being on the northeastern edge of Patagonia enough to ensure we are largely left alone to pursue our rural lifestyle or will we have to go even further south. I dont see any evidence that it is necessary now. The one place we considered a few years ago trying out was potrero grande. It's near HLF288's place in the foothills of the Andes but farther north from araucania. We ended up really liking where we are so we just stayed here.

You can PM me if you want to chat more

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:47 pm

The major conflict zone is Temuco west to the coast and up towards the bio bio coast. Even the mapuche don't care about Pucon. 😆 🤣

mapuche, for the most part, they don't really have a bone to pick with foriegners; but, they also don't want foriegners getting involved.

like indigenous everywhere, they mostly want to be left alone. so leave them alone. They got in to this mess because a bunch if white people decided to "help".

without extensive understanding of all the finer points of the conflict, chances of getting in to trouble are very high.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:34 pm

If you want to stay in a rural area while looking for your land, I rent the main house at the animal sanctuary to help cover operating costs. It is on 26 hectares in the 7th region between Chillan and Talca. There are no Mapuche incidents here, however, you may miss the rainy climate of Ireland. The 7th region is wine country with approximately 9 months of sunshine per year.

magfhinn

Post by magfhinn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 am

Thank you all for your quick and mostly helpful answers.Thanks lads.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:31 am

Reported in today's EMOL A family from that region, forced out after multiple attacks, is accusing the Chilean state of "forcible internal displacement" at the UN Human Rights Commission.

Since the UNHRC is headed by the woman who is partially responsible for the country's sorry state, don't expect too much to come from that initiative.
Familia demandó al Estado.jpg
I voted Rechazo!