Can I enter on a one way ticket?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Abrog

Can I enter on a one way ticket?

Post by Abrog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Hey everyone, new to this forum! Anyway, I have a few questions.. My best friend and I have known each other for 13 years, and I have always wanted to move down with him. He told me to wait until his schooling was done.. It was done 2 years ago. (That's a little backstory. Lol)

Anyway, I want to move down there, and he gave me the OK to come whenever. March is when I will be done my contract job here. I want to move down, like, the day after I'm done. My question is can I come down on a one way? I plan to, after 2 months extend my tourist visa to the temp residency done at the Santiago office.. but I dont want to book a return ticket when I have no intention of coming back??

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: Can I enter on a one way ticket?

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Abrog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm
Hey everyone, new to this forum! Anyway, I have a few questions.. My best friend and I have known each other for 13 years, and I have always wanted to move down with him. He told me to wait until his schooling was done.. It was done 2 years ago. (That's a little backstory. Lol)

Anyway, I want to move down there, and he gave me the OK to come whenever. March is when I will be done my contract job here. I want to move down, like, the day after I'm done. My question is can I come down on a one way? I plan to, after 2 months extend my tourist visa to the temp residency done at the Santiago office.. but I dont want to book a return ticket when I have no intention of coming back??
I don't know the answer to your question. But when I came here back in 2011, it was cheaper for me to buy a roundtrip ticket than a one-way. I never used the return ticket, but it was good to have in case things didn't work out. Things could be different now. And my choices were limited, because I was traveling with my dog.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Abrog

Post by Abrog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:07 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:45 pm
Abrog wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm

I don't know the answer to your question. But when I came here back in 2011, it was cheaper for me to buy a roundtrip ticket than a one-way. I never used the return ticket, but it was good to have in case things didn't work out. Things could be different now. And my choices were limited, because I was traveling with my dog.
hmm, good to know that you didnt really have any problems!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 pm

Really, it is not what Chile Immigration does in reality (not even look or ask unless you are from a poor country) BUT what the airline does. Many airlines will not issue you a boarding pass on the day of travel if you do not have a return or onward flight. Reason? Timatic says that lacking such could be grounds for entry denial (again, doesn't matter that Chile PDI will probably not even ask) and the airlines know that they can be fined if a person not meeting that requirement does get denied entry. So it is not Chile Immigration but the airline that will deny you on a one-way ticket.

As tirc said before, a RT is cheaper anyways...
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Abrog

Post by Abrog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 pm
Really, it is not what Chile Immigration does in reality (not even look or ask unless you are from a poor country) BUT what the airline does. Many airlines will not issue you a boarding pass on the day of travel if you do not have a return or onward flight. Reason? Timatic says that lacking such could be grounds for entry denial (again, doesn't matter that Chile PDI will probably not even ask) and the airlines know that they can be fined if a person not meeting that requirement does get denied entry. So it is not Chile Immigration but the airline that will deny you on a one-way ticket.

As tirc said before, a RT is cheaper anyways...
its really not lol, i looked.. 1075 for a RT and 620 for a one way.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 am

Buy a continuation ticket to Mendoza.......and as pointed out its not Chile that is the issue, airlines can be fined 20k USD for dumping someone into a country with no return or onward ticket so they are very carefull, you might even use the Mendoza portion to renew your tourist visa.....
It's all about the wine.

El Ping

Post by El Ping » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:11 am

For about 11 years I was buying return tickets from Chile to Oz and back ( historical accident ) two or three times a year and re-entering Chile on the return section... despite only entering on a 90 day visa.
Not once was I queried on arrival Chile.

I was once picked up on it when leaving Sydney and had to flash my temporary boat import papers... they were in Spanish... the bloke at check-in didn't have a clue what he was looking at and let me go....

That's the end you may have the problem at... with the airline. The Chileans can just stick you on a bus to Bogata or a mule to Mendoza if they tire of you.....

Since 2016 I have been buying my tickets at the other end... another historical accident.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 am

My son and his fiancee arrived in Chile this March with one-way tickets on Air Canada with no problems.

Abrog

Post by Abrog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Eric wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 am
My son and his fiancee arrived in Chile this March with one-way tickets on Air Canada with no problems.
Oh, im planning on flying with air canada... so thats good!!!!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Abrog wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Eric wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 am
Oh, im planning on flying with air canada... so thats good!!!!
I would be careful Air Canada is one of the stricter airlines, as Canada has had too many one way ticket passengers arrive......
It's all about the wine.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:39 pm

This is dated, but between 2001 and 2011, I was a rotating tourist visa resident of Chile and my first air itinerary in this adventure ended with the last segment going to Chile. After that it was RTs ending in Chile or bus runs to Mendoza.

I was questioned three times in that period by American Airlines. The first time I bought a 100% refundable return. The next two times was after I found out about the "exemption" for touristic purposes showing proof of ability to pay in Timatic (thanks FlyerTalk). I had to recite the rule and ask they look it up in Timatic or they probably would have denied issuing me a boarding pass.

I was never questioned flying LAN (now LATAM).

I was questioned once by outgoing Immigration when crossing from Chile to Argentina which happened to be the only time I did it in a private car driven by my now wife's brother (never questioned when traveling by bus). My true and direct verbal confirmation that I was not working in Chile was enough.

The exempt line was eliminated a number of years ago and the Timatic entry defaulted to how most countries have it saying those with no onward or return travel can be denied entry.

Just be prepared if you get a hard ass airline check-in agent.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Call Air Canada and ask........
It's all about the wine.