Chile: second run

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
scandinavian

Re: Chile: second run

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:35 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:25 am
While the rate is increasing, in my understanding, here in Chile there's a limit to the "Renta imponible" of about 2500€ per month. That limit doesn't exist in Portugal. Since my income is higher that that - even when accounting for "gastos presuntos" - te Chilean system is the cheaper option for me.

Trust me, I really did run my numbers on this. :-)
But why would you choose Portugal? You could pick an independent expat pension scheme...

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:16 pm

I think it's possible to pay taxes and then claim them back later, in order that you have a record in the system of being a tax payer which may be useful for getting bank accounts for example, and other things.

I think I have seen posts on the forum to this effect, and I think I discussed the possibility with the SII once. I even got a form and started looking into it, and I think I gave up when I realized it was going to take hours and hours of effort.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:50 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:35 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:25 am
While the rate is increasing, in my understanding, here in Chile there's a limit to the "Renta imponible" of about 2500€ per month. That limit doesn't exist in Portugal. Since my income is higher that that - even when accounting for "gastos presuntos" - te Chilean system is the cheaper option for me.

Trust me, I really did run my numbers on this. :-)
But why would you choose Portugal? You could pick an independent expat pension scheme...
Portugal was the last country I lived at, so that's why I'm using it as a comparison. I haven't really explored independent expat pension plans, but I'll check them out.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:47 pm

Another quick question that I couldn't find the answer to: is there any kind of tax deduction or credit from donating to charity/non-profits on Chile?

I saw the firefighter guys asking for donations last week and I think I'll send a donation their way, so I might as well get a tax credit, if that's a thing. Going to do it either way.

Parkside

Post by Parkside » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 pm
We're looking forward to renting a pet-friendly place in a specific area, but our experience with Chilean real estate agents was pretty lackluster. We actually ended up renting from a fellow forumite last time, but his place had a no-pets policy, and now we've a kitten with us.
Hey Tiagoabner, we're also looking at finding a place to rent that is pet friendly. Would love to exchange any information you find. I'll keep you posted on anything I learn. PM me with updates when you find anything. :-)

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Quick update. We've been in Chile for exactly three months now, and our visa paperwork is still not showing at Consultas Extranjería. It has been two and a half months since we sent the forms through the mail. It shows as received at their "Check with your mail code" thing, so I think they just happen to be overwhelmed as s*#t, mostly due to the "regularización" thing they're doing for illegals.

I'll keep you posted on how long it'll take.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I am coming up on 5 months, application still not accepted by extranjaria.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Spudzilla wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm
I am coming up on 5 months, application still not accepted by extranjaria.
Ouch! OK, guess I'll need to be really (REALLY) patient, then.