Chile: second run

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
tiagoabner

Re: Chile: second run

Post by tiagoabner » Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Just a quick update on this.

We've arrived in Chile and we've settled down at the apartment we had rented with our previous landlord. It all went very smoothly, and we got our cat Bisteca with us. I may write a detailed report on that later.

Prices have increased a bit since two years ago, but nothing too crazy. We spent a week in São Paulo and it was way more expensive.

I had forgotten about how packed with sellers Chilean stores are: we went to a Paris yesterday to get some stuff for the apartment and I was shocked.

Next step will be reapply for residência temporaria, and then continue from there. It's a shame we had to move to handle family business, as we were pretty course to our window to apply for residência permanente.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun May 12, 2019 3:42 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm
Just a quick update on this.

We've arrived in Chile and we've settled down at the apartment we had rented with our previous landlord. It all went very smoothly, and we got our cat Bisteca with us. I may write a detailed report on that later.
Welcome back, glad to see more cats traveling the world! 😺
tiagoabner wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm
I had forgotten about how packed with sellers Chilean stores are: we went to a Paris yesterday to get some stuff for the apartment and I was shocked.
Interesting, I expected the opposite just because of the country's proximity to the rest of Western Europe.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun May 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Dad jokes aside, I think it must have been because of the Mother's Day holiday. Both Paris and Ripley were packed full of people.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun May 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Everywhere was packed today with fathers and kids on the hunt for presents and then later the obligatory Mother's Day lunches.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 am

I think it's best to plan not to go out on certain days.

For instance the mall is always super busy on the weekend that falls in the first few days of the month, probably due to people getting monthly salaries, but if you go around the 15th-20th it's nice and relaxed. Like half as many people. Easy to park, no traffic around the mall.

Also, I've come to realize that getting Christmas shopping done within November and not going to the mall or any shops whatsoever in December (except for food) is also a good idea. I did it last year and that's going to be my strategy every year from now on.

The banks are busier at the start of the month and maybe on Mondays and Fridays. I usually plan to go Tuesday-Thursday around 15th-20th of the month or at least 10th-25th. You can walk into my local Banco Estado and be seen in 15 minutes on the right day. On the wrong day, it might be 2 hours.

Go the shops at 11am if you can. Everywhere is open at that time (Monday to Saturday anyway), and it's quiet. Same for the mall. At 11am it's dead and then it builds and builds during the day. Quite different to the UK when the busy period in the mall is 11 - 3 and it's quiet at 4 and dead at 5 (or closed).

Go to the mall food court at 12 noon or maybe 12.30. 2pm or 3pm on the first weekend of the month? Don't bother. Mall food courts with crowds and queues covering the place are not fun.

Don't head towards the beach on Friday afternoons, or return from there on Sundays. Those same chaotic motorways are actually quite quiet most of the time.

Don't go out on major bank holidays. Went to the beach once on January 1st for a day trip. Not doing that again.

Children's day that's another one to avoid going out on or plan carefully.

Chileans haven't yet figured out about planning or advance thought in these kinds of areas, and won't soon. With a bit of thought and planning about the days and times you go out, it's therefore very easy to greatly reduce the time you spend queuing and stuck in traffic. Much more so than in US, UK.

Of course some of you might actually like the atmosphere of more people around but give me no traffic, no queues, easy parking any day.

(Staying at home or keeping or local on busy days is also another good way to cut your carbon footprint.)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 am

Christmas shopping done in August on Amazon and AliExpress is even more comfortable than roaming local stores in attempts to find similar items for at least 2-3x price. (By the way, watch out for overpriced items on Amazon that cost 2-5x less on AliExpress for absolutely the same thing, probably even from the same factory.)

But yes, we also go to malls, Líder, and banks between 10 and 11 in the middle of the week — there's nobody in the stores and the bank lines are shorter.

"Menú del día" lunch is best after 2pm because some small cafes become too crowded between 1pm and 2pm due to the lunch hour in many businesses.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue May 14, 2019 11:15 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 am
Christmas shopping done in August on Amazon and AliExpress is even more comfortable than roaming local stores in attempts to find similar items for at least 2-3x price. (By the way, watch out for overpriced items on Amazon that cost 2-5x less on AliExpress for absolutely the same thing, probably even from the same factory.)

But yes, we also go to malls, Líder, and banks between 10 and 11 in the middle of the week — there's nobody in the stores and the bank lines are shorter.

"Menú del día" lunch is best after 2pm because some small cafes become too crowded between 1pm and 2pm due to the lunch hour in many businesses.
I have come to the same conclusion now about Amazon and Aliexpress too. Trailcamera on Amazon I bought last month about 80000 landed here, exact same one on Ali I saw this morning for 46000 landed here. 😫
I'll just use Amazon for 2 dollar second hand books (sometimes 1 cent books, still 10 bucks shipping though) , but no import tax, and 90 percent of the time reasonably good condition, still cheaper than anything here, not that there are any English books available down here.
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri May 17, 2019 9:24 am

Britkid wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 am
I think it's best to plan not to go out on certain days.
I agree on your points. It just happened that I needed to go get some items at that specific day, and I had just arrived in the country - so going at an earlier date wasn't an option.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am

to 41southchile - how are you getting by without paying duty??? I have been buying second hand books for years for just a few bucks and having them shipped here. Used to be that less than $30 paid no duty - but this year I've been getting dinged by customs every time. For example, on a $6 book I paid 12.500 CLP which is about $10 US. The aduana is charging a handling fee which they add to the value of the shipment and then add 19% to it all. The duty is more than the book! This is new this year. Does Pinera need money?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat May 18, 2019 10:06 am

ghibli wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am
to 41southchile - how are you getting by without paying duty??? I have been buying second hand books for years for just a few bucks and having them shipped here. Used to be that less than $30 paid no duty - but this year I've been getting dinged by customs every time. For example, on a $6 book I paid 12.500 CLP which is about $10 US. The aduana is charging a handling fee which they add to the value of the shipment and then add 19% to it all. The duty is more than the book! This is new this year. Does Pinera need money?
Pretty sure I haven't been paying anything this year but I've only bought 1 or 2 second hand books this year, even then, maybe that was in December? Ill have a look .
I do often get refunds on aduana dutys for purchases, for some reason, which is a pleasant surprise too. I imagine its safer to charge more and refund difference so it doesn't get held up Chile side by some aduana tipo . So in actual fact that trail cam I mentioned above had a 19.98 usd refund from too much duty the other day, so it ended up being closer to 65000 landed, a lot smaller difference from aliexpress now.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 am

No, zero duty paid on last 2nd hand book, it was only 1cent, does that make a difference vs a 2 dollar book? And it was earlier this year.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 am

Hmmmmm. Well. Another question to you 41southchile: How are you having your books shipped? I've been using Fedex economy - going to Santiago. As I said, for years that was no problem. It has only been the last 3 months or so that it has been really horrible. I wonder if Fedex is part of the problem. Maybe someone at the aduana has a gripe against Fedex. ??? It is so different - it almost seems like an act of aggression.
I've noticed a few other people at the Fedex office with similar problems.