Chile: second run

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Space Cat

Re: Chile: second run

Post by Space Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:56 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am
This is the most useful information I've ever read on this topic. I'll do more research to rerun my numbers, but that should skewer things even more in favor of Chile.
Thanks, I just checked Numbeo.com and Portugal turned out to be much more expensive than I thought. Food is cheaper because of the EU but according to your numbers above, the self-employed income after taxes will be 26% higher in Chile.

sl.png
sl.png (51.16 KiB) Viewed 83 times
cp.png
cp.png (52.5 KiB) Viewed 85 times

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Numbeo's prices haven't really caught up with the massive cost of living increase that has happened in the last few years. Real estate in Portugal is crazy and the Portuguese are taking a massive hit at their purchasing power due to that. Rent has increased by 20-50% in the city I live in since we arrived, and it has increased as much as 100% in some areas. It's unbelievable.

Check this article: https://www.nomeracapital.pt/2018/08/25 ... n-the-way/

IMF has stated that sales prices are about 50% higher than what was expected given the country's economic state. It's basic supply & demand: there isn't enough good real estate, so the ones available are getting more expensive.

at46

Post by at46 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm
Numbeo's prices haven't really caught up with the massive cost of living increase that has happened in the last few years. Real estate in Portugal is crazy and the Portuguese are taking a massive hit at their purchasing power due to that. Rent has increased by 20-50% in the city I live in since we arrived, and it has increased as much as 100% in some areas. It's unbelievable.

Check this article: https://www.nomeracapital.pt/2018/08/25 ... n-the-way/

IMF has stated that sales prices are about 50% higher than what was expected given the country's economic state. It's basic supply & demand: there isn't enough good real estate, so the ones available are getting more expensive.
The article says prices increased 71% since 2012 in the city center. Santiago has actually appreciated more over the same time, where I am.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Here's the IMF data: https://www.imf.org/external/research/housing/

I've been looking for articles in English about this, but they're really hard to find. However, the data is clear: the price growth in Portugal doesn't match with the state of the economy. We could actually pay the prices that are being asked here, but we would rather not buy at peak-bubble prices.