Looking for the best City for my Family

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Gloria

Re: Looking for the best City for my Family

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Ahhhhh!.......don't burst his bubble......I love dreamers......aren't they fun?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Atlanta

Post by Atlanta » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:36 am

Thanks for all the comments.

And I do have an investment business back in the states sending some additional income in USD.

Speaking of, would it be difficult to have a monthly re-occurring transfer from my American bank account to a Chilean? I have read there are not capital controls like Argentina, but still seemed a bit murky.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:38 am

no problem having money sent to your account in chile, once you have an account.

lot of people just use their u.s. atm card.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Most Chilean "cities", apart from Santiago and Concepción are quite small, with less that 300,000 inhabitants.
That naturally restricts the quality and availability of jobs, services, amenities.

And they are all pretty similar, apart from climatic and geographical differences, right down to the street names.
Après moi, le déluge

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 pm

What you don't like O'Higgins being the Main Street in many Chilean towns!!!
It's all about the wine.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:42 pm

I second what has been said before: ESL salary won't be enough for a family. You might as well leverage your English skills and her a job to work remotely. Entry-level, keyboard-monkey level customer support starts at $7/hour at crappy Chinese e-commerces, and Amazon should begin at the $12-15 range.

At 40h/week, you'll earn $1200-ish per month at a Chinese e-commerce and $2100-$3000/month at Amazon. Not exactly fulfilling work, but way more than entry-level ESL teacher. Yes, you can both try to live in your savings while you look for something better here, but that would depend on your other skills.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Atlanta wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:36 am
Thanks for all the comments.

And I do have an investment business back in the states sending some additional income in USD.

Speaking of, would it be difficult to have a monthly re-occurring transfer from my American bank account to a Chilean? I have read there are not capital controls like Argentina, but still seemed a bit murky.
No bank in Chile will even think about opening you a checking account without permanent residency. There is the cuentaRUT, but it is not worth it IMO.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:45 pm

GAminer wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm
No bank in Chile will even think about opening you a checking account without permanent residency. There is the cuentaRUT, but it is not worth it IMO.
It depends on who you know. But they will open a fondos mutuos account for anyone with just a tourist Rut, and that account allows you to receive swift transfers with no fees.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:39 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 pm
What you don't like O'Higgins being the Main Street in many Chilean towns!!!
There are at least four O'Higgins in our area.
Some of them are pretty run down as well. Hardly decent tributes to Don Bernardo.
Its my guess that it's just a lack of imagination, like all the suburban streets all over Chile named for trees and flowers. Las Begonias, Los Aromos, Los Arrayanes, et friggin cetera ad infinitum.
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:28 am

Lack of imagination? In the North America they name streets with numbers! Though even this is better than having streets of Lenin, Soviets, October, and the 1st of May in every city of a capitalist country. 😀

By the way, Valdivian main avenues are Ramón Picarte and Pedro Montt that becomes Pedro Aguirre Cerda after the bridge. O'Higgins is a minor street here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am

more like lack of national heros to name streets after. guess you got to go to war to regularly to get some variety in your street names.

my favorite was henderson nevada. they named the streets after the elements of the periodic table. turns out, that is probably a good indicator of few environmental issues (chemical factories tend to explode there regularly).

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 am

Here is an interesting study out on cost of living in various cities around Chile, for top end executives / earners in Chile:

https://www.latercera.com/pulso/noticia ... da/542408/