What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
frozen-north

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Julito wrote:
Tried that before I posted and the link didn't open for me.

Regardless, it's not generally used in professional real estate sales and I've never come across it. Perhaps occasionally used by the more bogan agents who might be found in Queensland. Some'll try anything to flog property and many a buyer has had their fingers burnt in that market. Those agents are known as "The White Shoe Brigade".
Once again, my point is that it is those agents and their ad agencies that have made the decisions. And if tomorrow they decided to try doing it again, they would do it. After all, there is plenty of offensive advertising being created all the time.

Sorry about the link. I thought it was a problem with my older browser, but I managed to find the Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhUUTwbGm8

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:36 pm

41southchile wrote:
Ok cool , good chat, maybe writing it down for me is not conducive to what I was trying to say, I get some of what you are saying, but to be honest other parts not so much , so probably just leave it there aye? Better to do it over a BBQ. I never presented myself as pretending anything and clearly some things were missed in translation, and you have jumped to some conclusions, but as I say writing is not my strength. Saludos
I am not particularly good at this myself, but it was a very nice conversation. Thank you very much.

passport

Post by passport » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm

The location and quality of your parcelacion make it attractive to norteamericanos and Europeans, many of who might be passing through the area as tourists. Those people won't know the ins and out of buying land in Chile, like:

Chile's foreigner-friendly ownership circumstances, low property taxes, how to get trustworthy legal help that speaks their language, how to quickly get a RUT number to make a land purchase, how to efficiently transfer payment funds, etc. It would be very helpful to have hand-out sheets made up in advance explaining these concerns in Spanish, English, German and maybe other languages.

Similarly, it'd help to have your parcelacion's Reglamiento Interno (internal regulations that govern any land restrictions, uses and owner responsibilities in the parcelacion) available in various languages, ready to hand out to shoppers. Spoon feeding them the information this way could sway those who would like to buy but don't understand what's involved and how to accomplish it. Provide photos, descriptions and prices of other properties in the area highlighting the advantages of yours. Maybe provide some names of satisfied and willing customers as references...

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 am

passport wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:37 pm
The location and quality of your parcelacion make it attractive to norteamericanos and Europeans, many of who might be passing through the area as tourists. Those people won't know the ins and out of buying land in Chile, like:

Chile's foreigner-friendly ownership circumstances, low property taxes, how to get trustworthy legal help that speaks their language, how to quickly get a RUT number to make a land purchase, how to efficiently transfer payment funds, etc. It would be very helpful to have hand-out sheets made up in advance explaining these concerns in Spanish, English, German and maybe other languages.

Similarly, it'd help to have your parcelacion's Reglamiento Interno (internal regulations that govern any land restrictions, uses and owner responsibilities in the parcelacion) available in various languages, ready to hand out to shoppers. Spoon feeding them the information this way could sway those who would like to buy but don't understand what's involved and how to accomplish it. Provide photos, descriptions and prices of other properties in the area highlighting the advantages of yours. Maybe provide some names of satisfied and willing customers as references...
Great suggestions, as you say all that information in one place and the reassurance of speaking their Language , literally and figuratively . I am working on some of these things already, so will keep you all up to date on how that's going .
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 am

So another thing that concerns me is air quality in the South. Fortunately where our house and loteo is located due to local geographic conditions and lack of lots of houses we don't have a wood smoke problem as we are to the west of the urban areas and the wind/breeze always blows from the west or North/South but prettt much never from the east. So even though urban areas are only 10 minutes away we never get their pollution as it sticks around them down by the lake and blows it over towards the Andes.
Up until now the strategy seems to have been, it rains enough so there is no problemo, combined with a half hearted campaign that people should use dry wood with hardly anyone to enforce it.
Now, it appears that there is a bigger effort to try and do something, as there are more and more days with high pollution from people burning green wood and not having efficient wood burners.
Self interest on my part for me and my family, means I don't want to have 20 or 30 houses around us in the next few years all belching out dirty smoke out of their chimneys, and I can't even go for a walk without coming back smelling like smoke, it the mornings and evenings especially, that drives me to look for solutions to offer buyers.
So, next Tuesday we are meeting with the Sereme de Energia en Puerto Montt to see what they have to say about it, we originally spoke briefly to him in the hope the ministry could guide us on renewable energy within the loteo, but it sounds like their big push is towards clean heating solutions. That involves gas and electricity,
as trying to get people to be responsible with wood is not working, by the sounds of it. Already Puerto Varas and Puerto Montt have had new gas lines installed throughout the cities by Metrogas. So that will be interesting.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 am

The first step, mandatory high end insulation standards.

Tyvek, at least 2 inches of isopull foam insulation, and double pained pvc windows. It will also drive everyones house values collectivelly a bit.

Where you are in the south is not that cold. A few days of year below zero in the morning.

Even burning green wood, with a well insulated house you cut the need to heat at all down to 10 to 20% of the year, and possibly even those few days you need to heat you cut it down to 20 or 30% of that day.

My theory is start by not waisting or letting energy escape from the system, then worry about how much energy you need to inject in to the system. Really, with a well insulated house, you can get by with a sweater most of the time down here.

After that go talk to woody over at renewablies outside pourto montt. He only does big wind, solor, etc projects, but might be interested in doing something for a development your size. Not paying an eletric bill and having backup eletric might be a real selling point for lots to make your project stand out, beyond all the eco bla, bla.

Just an idea.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:51 pm

What about installing a large liquefied gas tank with piping and individual meters for the entire community? Eliminates traffic from gas bottle delivery companies and might be cheaper vs. bottled since you're buying wholesale. 15% mark-up?

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:08 pm

at46 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:51 pm
What about installing a large liquefied gas tank with piping and individual meters for the entire community? Eliminates traffic from gas bottle delivery companies and might be cheaper vs. bottled since you're buying wholesale. 15% mark-up?
Good idea but not so easy to build a case for the large investment needed. The required return on investment alone would have to be higher than 15% just to pay for the money. Then there's all the operating expenses, amortization, permitting, fire protection, inspections, liability insurance, and price increases from your (probably) sole source supplier. The hard reality of business is no pie in the sky.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 pm

at46 wrote:
Yes, I was thinking that too, I've got someone getting those quotes from lipigas and abastible and to see what options are there, but it makes sense on many levels.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:08 pm
at46 wrote:
Good idea but not so easy to build a case for the large investment needed. The required return on investment alone would have to be higher than 15% just to pay for the money. Then there's all the operating expenses, amortization, permitting, fire protection, inspections, liability insurance, and price increases from your (probably) sole source supplier. The hard reality of business is no pie in the sky.
Yeah I wonder what it would cost ? I know there is always the price rise issue, but there are at least two suppliers that do that, and now that Chile has locked in some good deals for the next 20 years for gas, hence the infrastructure investments going on all over the south for urban gas supplies.
I honestly don't know what it would cost, but can't hurt to run the numbers.
Big prices from suppliers seem unlikely.
Thank you USA
'The United States was supposed to be a big L.N.G. importer, not a world class exporter. The frenzy of drilling in shale gas fields across the country changed that over the last decade, creating a glut far larger than domestic demand could possibly consume. Companies that spent billions of dollars to build import platforms suddenly had useless facilities until they spent billions more to convert them for export."
"The switch will remake the global gas market for decades to come".
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/16/busi ... rkets.html

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:28 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 am
The first step, mandatory high end insulation standards.

Tyvek, at least 2 inches of isopull foam insulation, and double pained pvc windows. It will also drive everyones house values collectivelly a bit.

Where you are in the south is not that cold. A few days of year below zero in the morning.

Even burning green wood, with a well insulated house you cut the need to heat at all down to 10 to 20% of the year, and possibly even those few days you need to heat you cut it down to 20 or 30% of that day.

My theory is start by not waisting or letting energy escape from the system, then worry about how much energy you need to inject in to the system. Really, with a well insulated house, you can get by with a sweater most of the time down here.

After that go talk to woody over at renewablies outside pourto montt. He only does big wind, solor, etc projects, but might be interested in doing something for a development your size. Not paying an eletric bill and having backup eletric might be a real selling point for lots to make your project stand out, beyond all the eco bla, bla.

Just an idea.
Exactly I'll mention that to the Seremi, it's what I've thought too .
You see smoke billowing out of chimneys in houses that you can practically see inside through the gaps in the windows or doors.
When we had a house in Christchurch New Zealand in 2006 they were trying to sort out air quality issues from wood burners there too. The local municipality there
(presumably with funds from central government too) offered 10 years interest free loans, that you paid off quarterly together when you paid your property tax payments, so it was like 50 bucks a quarter or something, I can't remember exactly. If you sold the house within that time you had to pay the loan back in full. It was ceiling insulation, underfloor insulation as well as a heat pump installed, they call them splits here, they pump out warm air in winter.
Win win win around if you have a co ordinated approach.
Even provides more employment, good for the environment and good for home owners.

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 pm

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm
...I honestly don't know what it would cost, but can't hurt to run the numbers...
That would be my main point: let the unemotional numbers guide the decision without preconception.

Also, consider the existing dealer(s) delivering LNG to the neighborhood in question. Creating a captive customer base still dependent on truck delivery to the neighborhood tank would be highly advantageous vertical integration. Their role in the supply chain is already capital intensive and copes with high liability, and they have funding and wholesale supplier relationships in place. One must presume that it would be easier for them to make the case and that they are looking for such opportunities if the numbers are right. Do you want to compete against them?

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm
...Big prices from suppliers seem unlikely...
Any viable business case cannot ignore the fact that commodity prices are inherently volatile and are likely to rise from this local minima. Sound business strategy focuses less on the deliverable and more on the financial case and competition.