What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Julito

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by Julito » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:41 pm

A cultural quirk. In Western cultures it's taken as a given in the real estate industry that the wife will in most cases have the final say on whether to buy this property or that so having "skimpys" at a property expo is a huge no no.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 am

41southchile wrote:
Anyway didnt really mean to hijack my own thread with my opinions.
Sorry, too late. :)
Yeah ok my mistake if I made it sound particular to Chile . I guess it wasn't the scantily clad young women in particular, it was more the reflection on Chilean society, where the majority of people don't even realise something like sex in advertising is an issue, but the voices that are wanting to change an entire culture are starting to get louder.
Not sure what I should of done different there or what you are referring to with the moral squad ? It's not up to me to enforce what morals people have, if people can't work shit out for themselves that's not my issue. I guess all I can do is say I support those that believe in the kind of morals I have, like is it moral that in a Chilean University with many professors or tutors if you are female and willing to open your legs you will fly through with 7s, where as the girl that might be a bit frumpy and studies hard has to work her butt off for any sort of recognition. Should I call the moral brigade for that ? I'd be pissed off too if I was a female in Chile. Or does that go on in lots of other countries too ? I guess it does, but is that a reason not to object to it ?
It's all related.
It's like if you don't want future generations to smoke cigarettes, don't normalise it by smoking around them.
What I meant by calling the 'moral squad' was that neither you, nor the other people there did anything different. You and them went around the business of looking at the properties. Just as you did, so did they.

OK, so you might not have expected the people at the real estate show to stampede out of the place, but say that your comment was about Chilean society in general, if I understand your last posting correctly.

Your first comment:
Anyway I won't go on about it as everyone knows what it's like, most people in Chile just don't even find anything strange about it , just like dogs living in the street, it's just something that doesn't even register with Chileans.
...and once again you make it sound as if it is unique to Chile. You made two comments that leave that impression.
it was more the reflection on Chilean society, where the majority of people don't even realise something like sex in advertising is an issue
like is it moral that in a Chilean University with many professors or tutors if you are female and willing to open your legs
On the last one I would have to ask where did that one come from, and on the previous ones I would question how much you are aware of what goes on elsewhere. If you had limited the comments to how unusual it is to have young women in real estate shows is one thing, but you have extended it to make a comment about all of Chilean society, and you are presenting it as if it is unique to Chile.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:39 am

Julito wrote:
A cultural quirk. In Western cultures it's taken as a given in the real estate industry that the wife will in most cases have the final say on whether to buy this property or that so having "skimpys" at a property expo is a huge no no.
It seems that using young women is quite well accepted for everything else, and I imagine that salespeople will try anything they can think that will improve sales. And it seems that it occasionally also happens in real estate.
Should Sex Appeal Be Used When Marketing Real Estate?

Real estate comparison portal LocalAgentFinder advocates agents’ success by building their brand and reputation as a strong negotiator and salesperson. However, news of marketing fads that use ‘sex appeal to sell properties has caught the attention of the Australian real estate industry and wider media.

According to a study by the University of New South Wales (UNSW), attractive agents earned price premiums of up to 2.3%. Domain.com.au claim that an attractive sales agent could net the property vendor an extra $23,000.

https://aspiringgentleman.com/advice/se ... al-estate/

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:47 am

I'm sure many go to such Chile real estate fairs not to buy but to "look" :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Julito

Post by Julito » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 am

Perhaps read your source again Frozen North. It says "attractive agents", it's not gender specific. In the Aust. context I read "attractive agents" as well dressed better than average looking licenced real estate salespersons, male or female. Not some tarted up scantily clad eye candy office decoration. Surely the same would apply in Canada?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:31 am

frozen-north wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 am
41southchile wrote:
Yeah ok my mistake if I made it sound particular to Chile . I guess it wasn't the scantily clad young women in particular, it was more the reflection on Chilean society, where the majority of people don't even realise something like sex in advertising is an issue, but the voices that are wanting to change an entire culture are starting to get louder.
Not sure what I should of done different there or what you are referring to with the moral squad ? It's not up to me to enforce what morals people have, if people can't work shit out for themselves that's not my issue. I guess all I can do is say I support those that believe in the kind of morals I have, like is it moral that in a Chilean University with many professors or tutors if you are female and willing to open your legs you will fly through with 7s, where as the girl that might be a bit frumpy and studies hard has to work her butt off for any sort of recognition. Should I call the moral brigade for that ? I'd be pissed off too if I was a female in Chile. Or does that go on in lots of other countries too ? I guess it does, but is that a reason not to object to it ?
It's all related.
It's like if you don't want future generations to smoke cigarettes, don't normalise it by smoking around them.
What I meant by calling the 'moral squad' was that neither you, nor the other people there did anything different. You and them went around the business of looking at the properties. Just as you did, so did they.

OK, so you might not have expected the people at the real estate show to stampede out of the place, but say that your comment was about Chilean society in general, if I understand your last posting correctly.

Your first comment:
Anyway I won't go on about it as everyone knows what it's like, most people in Chile just don't even find anything strange about it , just like dogs living in the street, it's just something that doesn't even register with Chileans.
...and once again you make it sound as if it is unique to Chile. You made two comments that leave that impression.
it was more the reflection on Chilean society, where the majority of people don't even realise something like sex in advertising is an issue
like is it moral that in a Chilean University with many professors or tutors if you are female and willing to open your legs
On the last one I would have to ask where did that one come from, and on the previous ones I would question how much you are aware of what goes on elsewhere. If you had limited the comments to how unusual it is to have young women in real estate shows is one thing, but you have extended it to make a comment about all of Chilean society, and you are presenting it as if it is unique to Chile.
Yeah ok too late it's hijacked 😀
Ok, so I get it , sorry for presenting it like it's unique to Chile, Ill try and include the proviso, 'in Chilean society ... as well as other societies". Question all you like how much I am aware of what goes on in other countries, I am not talking about other countries, and once again fail to see how really in the end it matters.
I am talking about Chile, but let's extend it out then, if every country kept carrying on doing things because other countries kept doing them, there would be no gay rights in any country, there would be no marine/enviromental protected areas, there would be no canibas reform, there would be no workers rights, etc etc, etc.
The whole world would just be stuck in some time warp and probably be a much shittier place, we would probably be sending 5 year Olds up chimneys to clean them, because, you know, that's what other countries do. it's called development, progress, advancement, (although I realise not everyone sees it that way) Societies are are always challenging normal and cultural thinking to make sure everyone can have a bid of dignity and get everyone on board to help with some of the real issues that enfrente many societies, and now Chile is starting to do the same.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am

As for your question, where did that come from ? I think I put in there, "it's all related", maybe I should of elaborated on that, but it's all part of the same pattern that just because you are female and have nice tits and are willing to submit to a man in power then every other female that doesn't want to do that should suffer discrimination if she doesn't want to play at that game. If you can't see that connection, that's either my fault or yours.
Yes of course it's common and nothing unique to Chile I realise that I made an error in my comments now I realise that thanks to you pointing that out (more than once).
Nothing happens in isolation . How can I limit my opinion and comments to hot chicks in real estate shows ? of course it's a comment about the whole of Chilean society, again talking about Chilean society, that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't go on in other countries.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:28 am

Julito wrote:
Perhaps read your source again Frozen North. It says "attractive agents", it's not gender specific. In the Aust. context I read "attractive agents" as well dressed better than average looking licenced real estate salespersons, male or female. Not some tarted up scantily clad eye candy office decoration. Surely the same would apply in Canada?
First, my point is that salespeople will try to use whatever they think that will increase sales.

Second, you should have read the rest of the article (source), not only what I quoted. There is even a link to a video by an Australian real estate agent.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:11 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 am
41southchile wrote:
It's all related.

Your first comment:
Sorry, but I'm still not getting what you meant when you said
"What I meant by calling the 'moral squad' was that neither you, nor the other people there did anything different. You and them went around the business of looking at the properties. Just as you did, so did they. "

I don't know what other people did, as I am me and not anyone else so I don't know if they were doing anything different. But what I did do as well as go around the stands, was start to think aftera while of looking at these women, not in an oooging/horny way but more in a curious way. Was that something different to what I would normally do ? Probably not, so i guess in that sense I didn't do anything different then I just went about the business of looking at properties, and questioning the why and the how of everything there. Everything from why girls with dresses that you could see the nipples who had zero knowledge of real estate where there, through to, who the hell is building and financing all these apartments and is there seriously that much demand for them?

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:00 pm

41southchile wrote:
"What I meant by calling the 'moral squad' was that neither you, nor the other people there did anything different. You and them went around the business of looking at the properties. Just as you did, so did they. "

I don't know what other people did, as I am me and not anyone else so I don't know if they were doing anything different. But what I did do as well as go around the stands, was start to think aftera while of looking at these women, not in an oooging/horny way but more in a curious way. Was that something different to what I would normally do ? Probably not, so i guess in that sense I didn't do anything different then I just went about the business of looking at properties, and questioning the why and the how of everything there. Everything from why girls with dresses that you could see the nipples who had zero knowledge of real estate where there, through to, who the hell is building and financing all these apartments and is there seriously that much demand for them?
Well, from what you just wrote, your behaviour was no different from what other people did; everybody just went about the business of looking at properties, but you took a moral stand of criticizing the other people there, and Chilean society as a whole.
You sound as if you had expected the people there to do something about it.
It's not up to me to enforce what morals people have, if people can't work shit out for themselves that's not my issue.
It is possible that other people there might have felt the same way.
Question all you like how much I am aware of what goes on in other countries, I am not talking about other countries, and once again fail to see how really in the end it matters.
of course it's a comment about the whole of Chilean society, again talking about Chilean society, that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't go on in other countries.
It matters because the people in those other societies - including the 'Western cultures' that it seems most forumites feel as part of - have also failed to make much of a change. So, when you write 'most people in Chile just don't even find anything strange about it , just like dogs living in the street, it's just something that doesn't even register with Chileans', you are presenting yourself as belonging to a different group where these sort of things don't happen.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Tried that before I posted and the link didn't open for me.

Regardless, it's not generally used in professional real estate sales and I've never come across it. Perhaps occasionally used by the more bogan agents who might be found in Queensland. Some'll try anything to flog property and many a buyer has had their fingers burnt in that market. Those agents are known as "The White Shoe Brigade".

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:12 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:00 pm
41southchile wrote:

Well, from what you just wrote, your behaviour was no different from what other people did; everybody just went about the business of looking at properties, but you took a moral stand of criticizing the other people there, and Chilean society as a whole.
You sound as if you had expected the people there to do something about it.
It's not up to me to enforce what morals people have, if people can't work shit out for themselves that's not my issue.
It is possible that other people there might have felt the same way.
Question all you like how much I am aware of what goes on in other countries, I am not talking about other countries, and once again fail to see how really in the end it matters.
of course it's a comment about the whole of Chilean society, again talking about Chilean society, that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't go on in other countries.
It matters because the people in those other societies - including the 'Western cultures' that it seems most forumites feel as part of - have also failed to make much of a change. So, when you write 'most people in Chile just don't even find anything strange about it , just like dogs living in the street, it's just something that doesn't even register with Chileans', you are presenting yourself as belonging to a different group where these sort of things don't happen.
Ok cool , good chat, maybe writing it down for me is not conducive to what I was trying to say, I get some of what you are saying, but to be honest other parts not so much , so probably just leave it there aye? Better to do it over a BBQ. I never presented myself as pretending anything and clearly some things were missed in translation, and you have jumped to some conclusions, but as I say writing is not my strength. Saludos