What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
41southchile

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm

at46 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:38 pm
41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm
The other interesting thing he mentioned is they are introducing electric charge stations in many cities and towns for electric cars as they want to quadruple he ammount of electric cars in Chile in this term, its a pretty low base so it shouldnt be hard. He said that will be ready by next year, it will be possible to drive from Santiago to Puerto Montt in an electric car and you will be able to find rapid charge stations every 100km or so.
They sure know how to generate positive buzz about Chile, coz I'm sure this kinda news will play will in the international media. But those charge stations will do exactly nothing to alleviate car pollution, given that even in the States the best estimates put the number of all electric vehicles at 3% at best in the long-term.
Maybe maybe not , but its all about the positive buzz with anything really when you think about it , and look at how many auto manufacturers are jumping on the electric band wagon, will they save the world from car pollution ? remains to be seen , but yeah the ICE is not dying out any time soon I would think . Werent biofuels suppossed to save the world and ended up giving people in poor countries huge price rises for food, and distorting world markets for food, lets just hope there is no such negative unintended consequences with electric vehicles.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm
Gloria wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 pm
What about cleaner heating source together with insulation? That would be the "cat's pijamas".
Like what, exactly? Imported gas is expensive. Electricity with that winter sobreconsumo surcharge is even worse, even if the pathetic electricity grid that exists in most places could handle the extra load.

And to insulate one of those ramshackle wooden houses would cost more than the house is worth.
Well, we did 9 years ago. It was priority #1 because we live in the south. The house is well insulated top, bottom and exterior walls plus double pane windows. Many love to show off cathedral ceilings, we don´t so just 8 feet tall. Double doors as in the US for summer and winter.Heating we used a Toyotomi for a long while but since last year we are heating with pellets. In total the investment at first was considerable but it has paid off greatly.
Oppsss...forgot to mention we built our own house.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm
Gloria wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:28 pm
What about cleaner heating source together with insulation? That would be the "cat's pijamas".
Like what, exactly? Imported gas is expensive. Electricity with that winter sobreconsumo surcharge is even worse, even if the pathetic electricity grid that exists in most places could handle the extra load.

And to insulate one of those ramshackle wooden houses would cost more than the house is worth.

If I lived in Coyhaique (perish the thought!) I would be burning wood like the rest. But at least I would buy the dry stuff.

http://www.revistaei.cl/2018/06/05/ayse ... aminacion/#
Soooo? Do nothing then ?
They could get some thermal leak detectors (36 bucks on Amazon, shipping and duties included https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-TLD ... B0044R87BE) and get property appraisers produce a quick report for every property that they appraise. Then they should give owners a simple property tax rebate for a percentage improvement in insulation.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 pm

41southchile wrote:
Soooo? Do nothing then ?
Do exactly what then?
at46 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm
They could get some thermal leak detectors (36 bucks on Amazon, shipping and duties included
Most can't, at least not directly, even if they wanted to. Somehow I think the realities of living here, as experienced by the majority, escape you.

Gloria had the sense to properly insulate, but most can't or won't. Even in high-end construction, insulation is often skimped, or is simply non existent. Despite all the eco talk, Chileans will not pay for an invisible benefit like insulation that as well as cutting heating costs would also help reduce contamination and also deforestation, preferring the lazy wasteful alternative - cutting down trees and burning huge amounts of wet wood to heat their draughty uninsulated rucas.

Even in well-off communities, like Las Condes, wood burning is a problem. One report states that half of Santiago's smog problem is caused by wood stoves.
¿Sabía usted que Las Condes es una de las comunas del Gran Santiago donde más leña se consume al año? En total, más de seis millones de kilos.
..tres comunas mayoritariamente ricas están generando una buena parte de la contaminación más grave de Santiago y, para colmo, la geografía se encarga de llevarse la cochinada a las comunas más pobres.
Es la leña, estúpido

My point is that nothing's going to change, despite all the talk. I've been hearing it for 20-odd years now.
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 pm
41southchile wrote:
Soooo? Do nothing then ?
Do exactly what then?
at46 wrote:
They could get some thermal leak detectors (36 bucks on Amazon, shipping and duties included
Most can't, at least not directly, even if they wanted to. Somehow I think the realities of living here, as experienced by the majority, escape you.

Gloria had enough sense to properly insulate, but most can't or won't. Even in high-end construction, insulation is often skimped, or is simply non existent. Despite all the eco talk, Chileans will not pay for an invisible benefit like insulation that as well as cutting heating costs would also help reduce contamination and also deforestation, preferring the lazy alternative - cutting down trees and burning huge amounts of wet wood to heat their draughty uninsulated rucas.

Even in well-off communities, like Las Condes, wood burning is a problem. One report states that half of Santiago's smog problem is caused by wood burning.
¿Sabía usted que Las Condes es una de las comunas del Gran Santiago donde más leña se consume al año? En total, más de seis millones de kilos.
Es la leña, estúpido

My point is that nothing's going to change, despite all the talk. I've been hearing it for 20-odd years now.
So now it's only Chileans that burn Wood ? One thing I learnt from you last week was that the same shit happens everywhere, nothing is unique to Chile.
Cities in NZ have been battling with wood burning and contamination and wondering what to do since the mid to 90s and restrictions are still not in effect in many urban areas, I think some of the earliest come in 2020. I can't speak for other countries but a brief search online tells me it's an issue in many countries.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 am

fraggle092 wrote:
41southchile wrote:
Soooo? Do nothing then ?
Do exactly what then?
at46 wrote:

Gloria had the sense to properly insulate, but most can't or won't. Even in high-end construction, insulation is often skimped, or is simply non existent. Despite all the eco talk, Chileans will not pay for an invisible benefit like insulation that as well as cutting heating costs would also help reduce contamination and also deforestation, preferring the lazy cheaper alternative - cutting down trees and burning huge amounts of wet wood to heat their draughty uninsulated rucas.

Even in well-off communities, like Las Condes, wood burning is a problem. One report states that half of Santiago's smog problem is caused by wood stoves.
..tres comunas mayoritariamente ricas están generando una buena parte de la contaminación más grave de Santiago y, para colmo, la geografía se encarga de llevarse la cochinada a las comunas más pobres.
Es la leña, estúpido

Sorry my mistake I confused you with someone else, well you do both begin with F, but yeah the point still applies, but thanks for speaking on behalf of every Chilean.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 am

fraggle092 wrote:
41southchile wrote:
Soooo? Do nothing then ?
Do exactly what then?
at46 wrote:

Gloria had enough sense to properly insulate, but most can't or won't. Even in high-end construction, insulation is often skimped, or is simply non existent. Despite all the eco talk, Chileans will not pay for an invisible benefit like insulation that as well as cutting heating costs would also help reduce contamination and also deforestation, preferring the lazy cheaper alternative - cutting down trees and burning huge amounts of wet wood to heat their draughty uninsulated rucas.

Es la leña, estúpido

I'm not talking about people buying thermal leak detectors directly, but the government setting up a rebate program, like what some municipalities in Canada did a few years ago to upgrade toilets for more efficient ones. All you had to do is buy one, mail the receipt to the muni and get your 50 bucks rebate check. It didn't cover the entire cost of a new toilet and installation, obviously, but, together with a potentially lower water bill, was enough of an incentive (for some anyway). What I think could work here is the property appraiser doing an evaluation with a government provided thermal leak detector and the government then lowering property taxes for a percentage of the insulation work carried out by the homeowner.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 am

Coima city dude!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 am
Coima city dude!
And how many years do you have living in Chile then? :) Seriously though, I think it's just a matter of setting up the program properly. Chilean Revision Tecnica comes to mind as an example of a properly set up program. It can be done.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am
So now it's only Chileans that burn Wood ? One thing I learnt from you last week was that the same shit happens everywhere, nothing is unique to Chile.
Cities in NZ have been battling with wood burning and contamination and wondering what to do since the mid to 90s and restrictions are still not in effect in many urban areas, I think some of the earliest come in 2020. I can't speak for other countries but a brief search online tells me it's an issue in many countries.
I never said that it was specifically a Chilean problem, I am sure it isn't. Think you're mixing me up with the other F again. But with the exception of wood, Chile is energy-poor. (Magallanes has gas, but they keep it for consumption down there) Desertification where I live in the North, and deforestation in the South are the results of indiscriminate tree felling over the last 150 years. But what is the alternative after the wishful thinking is discounted ?
41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 am
thanks for speaking on behalf of every Chilean.
I am not speakling on behalf of anybody. Just how I see things. Take it or leave it.
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Coima city dude!
Ain't that the truth!
at46 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 am
And how many years do you have living in Chile then? :) Seriously though, I think it's just a matter of setting up the program properly. Chilean Revision Tecnica comes to mind as an example of a properly set up program. It can be done.
Well....like everything else here the Revisión Técnica depends on who you know....
Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 am
41southchile wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am
I never said that it was specifically a Chilean problem, I am sure it isn't. But with the exception of wood, Chile is energy-poor. (Magallanes has gas, but they keep it for consumption down there) Desertification where I live in the North, and deforestation in the South are the results of indiscriminate tree felling over the last 150 years. But what is the alternative after the wishful thinking is discounted ?
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Coima city dude!
Ain't that the truth!
at46 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:41 am
Well....like everything else here the Revisión Técnica depends on who you know....
If you provide an incentive people will insulate, if it's going to save them money they will do it, people like saving money. You don't have to insulate every single house either, at least start with low hanging fruit, once people cotton on that their neighbours got a grant or loan to insulate and they are spending 50 percent less on firewood it won't take long for people to do it. It's like agriculture subsididids they had when I was dairy farming here a few years ago, they subsidised new seeds and fertilizer to those with poor quality soil, people take free things or things that are easy to pay off if it will save them money, (the health benefits are just an added bonus for them as a lot of them probably don't think about it or make the correlation) . As for energy supply Vaca muerte just over the Andes from the 8th region, has enough gas to keep most of Chile and Argentina in gas for our lifetimes by some estimates.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:14 am

You are aware of what happened in Aysén with the $100.000 annual bono doled out by the government to allow the needy to buy dry wood?

http://www.revistaei.cl/2018/06/05/ayse ... aminacion/
Après moi, le déluge