Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by mem » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 pm

I heard from a guy in the know the following:

"Word is that Piñera told the immigration department to clear their desks. They are working even on Sunday evenings!
Also, it appears that Piñera told them to approve apps from North Americans."

FYI - Get while the getting is good. The context was across the board, temp, perm, and even citizenship. They are even starting to conduct citizenship interviews via email! (gobsmacked)

Long live the Pinera administration!

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by Gloria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:34 pm

mem wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 pm

Long live the Pinera administration!
I´ll say that when he does something about the Haitian and rest of illegal aliens situation. An investigation is due for starters.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7288
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 pm

Yeah, what happened to the most logical measure of a visa for Haitians? I remain skeptical and assume betrayal until a concrete measure is taken by Piraña towards the lack of migrant control and the illegal situation. It will shortly be one month into his mando and I've seen N - A - D - A !!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16823
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by admin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:26 am

Probably just wants to get rid of the politically ugly lines in front of the immigration offices across the country.

Most of the mess is the department of immigrations own fault.

Like the b.s. moves in the last year or so to punish anyone that tries to appeal a rejection. For example requiring a police report that is less than 20 days old, but only when someone is filing an appeal on a rejected application. They were not interested in the criminal records when they first applied?

If they are going to stall aplications for arbitrary reasons to lighten their immediate workload, then why not just aprove the aplications instead?

Essentially, as i have been saying recently in other threads, stop pretending you are selecting aplications for residency and just aprove them all by default until there is some sort of substantial reform to the immigration system. I am only half joking about replacing the entire department of immigration with a web app.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by mem » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:24 pm

I think pinera is serious about getting rid of the haitians to a large degree. As some have said, chile as a whole is not interested in immigrants with skin darker than a mapuche and Pinera, is going to work towards to that. I think giving preference to north americans is phase 1.

Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm

I myself would like to apply for citizenship (been here 7+ years straight) but I'm perplexed by this (apparently new) background check requirement-->

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por
su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su
presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país
de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones
Exteriores de Chile."

How the hell am I supposed to get this legalized and translated in less than 20 days?

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by Gloria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm
I myself would like to apply for citizenship (been here 7+ years straight) but I'm perplexed by this (apparently new) background check requirement-->

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por
su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su
presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país
de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones
Exteriores de Chile."

How the hell am I supposed to get this legalized and translated in less than 20 days?
More perplexing is the fact that if you have spend 7 years in Chile, why would you need a "background check" from the original country from which you have been absent for that amount of time?. Doesn´t make any sense!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by Jamers41 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Gloria wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm
I myself would like to apply for citizenship (been here 7+ years straight) but I'm perplexed by this (apparently new) background check requirement-->

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por
su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su
presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país
de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones
Exteriores de Chile."

How the hell am I supposed to get this legalized and translated in less than 20 days?
More perplexing is the fact that if you have spend 7 years in Chile, why would you need a "background check" from the original country from which you have been absent for that amount of time?. Doesn´t make any sense!
Also true!

I'm hoping that the admin can shed some light on this one.

Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 4415
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by Gloria » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm
Gloria wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm
I myself would like to apply for citizenship (been here 7+ years straight) but I'm perplexed by this (apparently new) background check requirement-->

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por
su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su
presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país
de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones
Exteriores de Chile."

How the hell am I supposed to get this legalized and translated in less than 20 days?
More perplexing is the fact that if you have spend 7 years in Chile, why would you need a "background check" from the original country from which you have been absent for that amount of time?. Doesn´t make any sense!
Also true!

I'm hoping that the admin can shed some light on this one.
This should be asked directly to the Ministry of Exterior or Extranjería. Something got lost in the translation!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

needwaterandpeace
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:09 am
Contact:

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by needwaterandpeace » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Gloria wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm
Gloria wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:28 pm
I myself would like to apply for citizenship (been here 7+ years straight) but I'm perplexed by this (apparently new) background check requirement-->

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por
su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su
presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país
de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones
Exteriores de Chile."

How the hell am I supposed to get this legalized and translated in less than 20 days?
More perplexing is the fact that if you have spend 7 years in Chile, why would you need a "background check" from the original country from which you have been absent for that amount of time?. Doesn´t make any sense!
Also true!

I'm hoping that the admin can shed some light on this one.
This should be asked directly to the Ministry of Exterior or Extranjería. Something got lost in the translation!
Hello. This is my first post. I hope I am posting in the right place, and in the right way. (I was going to read a lot more before I posted anything, but thought I should try to be helpful? I hope it does not backfire!)

It won't let me post links, but have you seen the post by admin on this, Legal Issues, Fourth post down in the Topics, "Criminal Records Required for Residency, 2017," where admin says that background checks are only being required for reconsideration of a denied application? (I don't know how to work the quote thingy for this, so I will just copy and paste.)

Re: Criminal records required for residency, 2017
Post by admin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:05 pm

I just wanted to quickly update some more info on this.

We have confirmed that they are requiring a criminal record only for reconsideration of a denied application.

Seems, immigration, in their infinite wisdom is using a right to request criminal record of anyone applying for residency, as a means to discourage people from applying for a reconsideration of a denied application.

Which compounds a massive problem or self-inflicted wound created by the bureaucrats at immigration. They will arbitrarily deny an application the first time, because they are simply behind, without even opening an application. They have been doing this for several years now. Then that forces the person applying to wait months for the notice they were denied, and apply again; but, now by placing this arbitrary requirement to submit a criminal record in 20 days or less, is essentially cutting off the route to appeal a denial or at least making it so difficult many people can not comply with the requirement.

(Fin de quotación improvisado.)

Hopefully that is helpful, and won't get me in trouble! (If I messed it all up, please just let me know what I should do instead. The system has kicked me back two times now, so hopefully this one will work.)

needwaterandpeace
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:09 am
Contact:

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by needwaterandpeace » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello. This is my first post. The system keeps kicking me out, not sure why.

Have you seen Admin's post in Legal Issues, fourth Topic down (Criminal Records Required for Residency, 2017), fifth post from the top, where Admin says that criminal records checks are only required for resubmission of denied packets?

I would try to post the URL or something, but it won't let me (because newbie). I hope this is helpful.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Uncle Intel: Immigration update ala Pinera

Post by mem » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 am

Well now it becomes more clear why Pinera was telling immigration to "clear their desks".

With the new proposed immigration reform...its going to be difficult with all the people that are in tramite. People that applied for temporary in Jan/Feb/Mar...

Post Reply