Bilingual private schools in Santiago?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
paladin

Re: Bilingual private schools in Santiago?

Post by paladin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 pm

milita19 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:06 pm
paladin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm
Education is not cheap anywhere. You’ve mentioned just about all of them. You dont say where you plan to live, when you ask about how people get their kids to school ? There are minibus services to lots of them, if you find its not convenient to drop them off or pick them up yourself. 4 is a perfect age to get them started on bilingual education, and bearing in mind that the school year starts in March, you may find it difficult to get a place for him, as for the popular schools, parents start enrolling them way in advance.
The Grange pride themselves on being snobby and unless you plan to live close, you’d find it hell for drop off in the mornings. If you choose to live in Chicureo, you will find branches of the same good schools that are in Santiago, and are much more convenient for dropping off/picking up. Housing is also a lot cheaper.i]

I don't want to leave far away from everything...so I was planning a house (don't want apartments since I have 2 kids and 2 dogs) in La Reina or Vitacura/Las Condes? but those schools at least in the map look really far like by the mountains almost lol.

I really like The Grange but yes it is super expensive...do you have any good feedback about any of the other schools I mentioned?

Thanks again!

I can only comment on Craighouse which is where my son was educated, and we were very happy ( except for the very high fees!) Like some orhers, it is bilingual , 80% English in classes up to senior school, then reducing to 20%. You can , if you want, have your children take the UK school leaving exams, and also the IB. As admin says, having good contacts at a high social level, is important if you intend to stay in Chile, and Craighouse was good in that respect. A couple of years ago, the school moved out of La Dehesa central, to a new school they had built , on the border of La Dehesa and Colina ( ie Chicureo) That’s great for those who live in either of those areas as far as drop off/pick up, but if you plan to live in the areas you mention, it would not be at all convenient.

npugh22

Post by npugh22 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:55 pm

If you plan on living here the rest of your life, then I might suggest trying to get into one of the bigger name schools. Though, I believe at this point, unless you have family that has attended The Grange or Santiago College, it's relatively difficult to get into them. This as told to me by alumni of both schools.

If you'll be here to a point where the older grades are important then Redlands and Dunalaister are both good. However, it's important to recognize the Chilean mindset when it comes to education that schools like this will be espousing. They aren't generally the most encouraging and warm environments. If you're used to that, it won't be a big deal, if you're not, it could be an adjustment.

Someone else had mentioned Montessori, especially if your child may not be here beyond 6th grade(ish), I might recommend it as well. My daughter attends to a Waldorf school and we love it. Non religious, Judeo Christian background, teaches your child to think independently. We're big fans.

If you have any questions, shoot me a message and I'd be happy to help answer any questions you might have.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 am

Very few foreigners we have seen are happy with what happens when they send their kids to a public school.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm

This article gives you a good idea about what schools are for the elite and their costs.
http://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/2 ... stros.html

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:58 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm
This article gives you a good idea about what schools are for the elite and their costs.
Those are all religion based schools. You also have the "British" schools, the French school, the German school, an American school (Nido) which follows a northern hemisphere timetable, schools which are private but not linked to any religion or type of education, etc. There are decent Municipal schools in some communities. Demand is high in all of them.

milita19

Post by milita19 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:02 pm

StrawberryHeartsForever wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 pm
I have heard from someone who worked there that Andree puts a lot of pressure on the kids to perform well academically and a lot of the kids are in therapy. There are some facebook pages for mums and expats and many have their kids go the schools ypu mentioned. It might be worth getting some insider insight about each one.
Thank you for your response, do you know of any particular facebook group I could join to request information?

Thank you,

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am

Yes ask to join the Discover Chile English speaking mums group. There are many mums to consult there :)

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 am

Its English speaking moms spelt the american way, not mums!

milita19

Post by milita19 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:19 am

StrawberryHeartsForever wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am
Yes ask to join the Discover Chile English speaking mums group. There are many mums to consult there :)
Thank you! I am in now! so much more information there...thank you so much!

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:02 pm
The Chilean make-believe elite perhaps... but this education system is rightfully seen as a joke anywhere else in the world no matter how much you pay.