Obtaining a driving license with no education certificate

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
GabyMH

Obtaining a driving license with no education certificate

Post by GabyMH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi, everybody!
I imagine this is a topic that has already been discussed on the forum but somebody might have some new info... No harm asking! My husband is British and he's in the process of applying for a pensionado temporary visa. It'll be extremely difficult for him to produce the famous education certificate. He's got a driving license from California, though. Is there any way 'around' the system? Any comunas that are more open than others when it comes to the requisites to obtain a driving license? Thanks in advance for your help!

lost gringo

Re: Obtaining a driving license with no education certificate

Post by lost gringo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Have a look at the Alice's Restaurant thread. :D

There are towns where it may be easier, Coyhaique is one but it is pretty far south in Patagonia.
A problem with going to other communities is you have to have proof of residence in that comuna and the process of getting the license takes a couple of days so you also need a place to stay while your there.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Lo que más te convendría sería que él manejara con su licencia de California hasta que se lo prohíban o carabineros le den un aviso verbal de una posible multa en el futuro. Que se haga el tonto :D mientras tanto. En el tiempo, que vea él el modo de obtener sus papeles de high school para que demuestre que tiene su octavo básico o simplemente tendrás que ser tú la que deberá conducir.No queda otra.
El asunto de "Is there any way 'around' the system?" quiero que mantengas en cuenta que Chile NO ES Argentina querida, aquí el asunto es diferente y ni se te ocurra ofrecer una " coima" que ello te llevará a la cárcel a pan y agua!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:47 pm
Lo que más te convendría sería que él manejara con su licencia de California hasta que se lo prohíban o carabineros le den un aviso verbal de una posible multa en el futuro. Que se haga el tonto :D mientras tanto. En el tiempo que vea él el modo de obtener sus papeles de high school para que demuestre que tiene su octavo básico o simplemente tendrás que ser tú la que deberá conducir.No queda otra.
El asunto de "Is there any way 'around' the system?" quiero que mantengas en cuenta que Chile NO ES Argentina querida, aquí el asunto es diferente y ni se te ocurra ofrecer una " coima" que ello te llevará a la cárcel al pan y agua!
Y ademas, Chile no aceptan "coimas" o la "mordidas" cuando le agarren. Argentina si te piden con sonrrisas pero ni decir!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:09 am

There is always the 8th grade equivelency test. Does not sound like fun to me, but recall someone on the forum did it a while back for some reason.

Personally i would just find a state that offers the GED exam online or something, if stuck with no education certificate.

The education requiment is stupid. I always think of my grandfather when this subject comes up. My grandfather ran heavy equiment his whole life, and owned a construction company (he built more than a bit of the northern end of the pan-american highway). He never learned to read or write, but he could drive everything that moved, and some things that were not designed to move ( e.g. houses, office buildings).

I am just waiting for the first self-driving cars in chile. Do they need an 8th grade education too?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks everybody for your feedback! It's a relief to know that Chile seems to be a less corrupt country than Argentina... Does anybody know if having a Mercosur visa and a valid driving license from Argentina we still have to sit for the driving test?

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Gloria should answer this one. :D
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:27 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:31 pm
Gloria should answer this one. :D
:lol: :lol: should I ?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:46 pm

GabyMH wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:28 pm
Thanks everybody for your feedback! It's a relief to know that Chile seems to be a less corrupt country than Argentina... Does anybody know if having a Mercosur visa and a valid driving license from Argentina we still have to sit for the driving test?
You may have the blessings of the Pope but you still have to take the driving test and proof of education is a requirement. Nothing is easy in this country, however if you were Haitian, they would give you the keys of the city and wouldn't matter if you have a diploma or not or if you knew how to spell your name. Chile has lots of laws and regulations but not enough government officials to enforce them....you can make your own conclusions......

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 am

Wow... Thanks, Gloria...

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 am

GabyMH wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 am
Wow... Thanks, Gloria...
Gaby, there's one possible way but PM me, I don't want to create a revolt in the forum. :D

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:04 am

Gloria wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 am
GabyMH wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 am
Wow... Thanks, Gloria...
Gaby, there's one possible way but PM me, I don't want to create a revolt in the forum. :D
Aha, so it is possible to bribe a self important, power tripping soul-less control freak Chileno bureaucrat. :lol: