Can I get a rentista visa without my spouse? (newbie)

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
bluebird

Can I get a rentista visa without my spouse? (newbie)

Post by bluebird » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi folks

I'm new to the forum and have done a good faith search to try to figure out an answer to my question but without success so far. I was hoping that someone maybe able to shed some light on my situation.

My spouse and I live in Canada. Lately I've been strongly considering moving to Chile (probably Santiago) in 2-3 years and establishing a second home. As per the advice of the admin, the "Rentista" visa seems like the way to go and I've set in the motion some steps to generate passive income (rental property, buying bonds, etc.) to meet the $1000 USD/mo/person requirement.

One complication is that my spouse may not be able to join me for sometime (~1-2 years). She's just finishing university and would like to build her career first before heading to a different country. My question is the following:
- Can I get a successful Rentista visa application just for myself while my spouse lives in Canada?
If yes
- Is there something that would preclude her from applying for the Rentista visa later for herself?
- Can I sponsor her through some other path?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can I get a rentista visa without my spouse? (newbie)

Post by admin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:57 am

No problem. She just has to be filed later.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:52 am

Thanks.! Also in the interest of cash-flow, I'm thinking of investing in property in Costa Rica. Does "Airbnb" work for Chilean immigration in terms of periodic passive income?

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:33 pm

bluebird wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:52 am
Thanks.! Also in the interest of cash-flow, I'm thinking of investing in property in Costa Rica. Does "Airbnb" work for Chilean immigration in terms of periodic passive income?
Disclaimer: This advice is free, and you get what you pay for, so verify it with someone who knows what they're talking about.

I've been told by someone who would know that stability of monthly payments is considered, so if you get $10 some months, and $10,000 other months, they may not weigh this heavily in your favor. Also how long that income stream has been established counts, so if you don't have that cash flow yet, you might want to plan to wait a few months before submitting an application.

I also know they love all official looking papers, so as long as you can get official looking documentation from AirBnb, it will count -- just how much it will count is the question above.