Private School Santiago

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Dbilro

Private School Santiago

Post by Dbilro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Dear all,
I will be moving to Santiago in January, and by having 2 small chidren (9 and 5) my main concern is schooling, on that sense I was wondering if you could share some light into what seems a bit confusing.
I want to know if you can suggest a good school in Santiago de Chile (for primary education, ie 5+).
The ideal school is somewhere bilingual (ideally with several classes in English not just English classes) and not a (particularly) religious school. Additionally a mixed school is a preference.

I´ve done some googling trying to gather information, but most of what I've found is outdated, and I'd love to hear about your experiences/ thoughts about the following schools:
Craighouse school
Dunalstair
Lincon international school
Andree english school
Trewhela's school

Thanks for your help.

paladin

Re: Private School Santiago

Post by paladin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 pm

classes spoken in English, until senior school, then switching to 70% in Spanish and its mixed. Our son was educated there
and or next door neighbours have their two boys there and are very happy with the school. If you live in Piedra Roja, the school trip each day is a dream.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:39 pm

The Grange fits your requirement......
It's all about the wine.

Dbilro

Post by Dbilro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:17 am

paladin wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 pm
classes spoken in English, until senior school, then switching to 70% in Spanish and its mixed. Our son was educated there
and or next door neighbours have their two boys there and are very happy with the school. If you live in Piedra Roja, the school trip each day is a dream.
Wich one?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10690
is a thread I did 4 years ago about schools which is worth reading probably even though it may be a bit out of date
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Dbilro

Post by Dbilro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:57 pm

is a thread I did 4 years ago about schools which is worth reading probably even though it may be a bit out of date
Thank you , it was really helpful to me

paladin

Post by paladin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Dbilro wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:17 am
paladin wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:12 pm
Wich one?
Sorry, but it seems like the first part of my post got lost. I was referring toCraighoyse

argendiense

Post by argendiense » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Chile has its own unique interpretation of bilingual education... most bilingual private schools teach in English until equivalent of 6th / 8th grade, then switch to Spanish for high school.

We just went through the process, and finished the interviews last month. It was very difficult to find a spot for our 6yr old -- he will be starting Grade 1 in March. In the end we interviewed at Lincoln and Dunalastair in Chicureo (neither had spaces at their Las Condes locations) and St Gabriel's in Providencia. He was accepted to all three.

Our experience with St Gabriel's was the same as many foreigners, as you will see on this board. That is, terrible. I would never send my child there -- they refused to show us the school because apparently they were already doing us the enormous favour of testing our child one week before they opened it up to general applications, and to show us the school would mean that other families wouldn't have the same opportunities and sarasa sarasa... the woman was very rude. And of course when I tried to explain that we were only there for 3 days to do interviews, she just went out of her way to let us know we were not welcome. So, forget them.

Lincoln and Dunalastair: Frankly we are still doubting our choice of Dunalastair over Lincoln, because Lincoln has more years of English I believe (their own literature is contradictory, in one place they say until 8th grade, in others they say until 6th). They also have after school activities included. However they are supposedly very, very homework heavy. Furthermore, in asking for feedback from parents, Lincoln parents were nowhere near as happy with their school as Dunalastair, and Dunalastair seems much more technology focused.

In the end we went for Dunalastair, with the idea that, should we decide we are not happy, we can change him after we have been there a couple of years and have a better understanding about the schools in Chile. Dunalastair won out essentially because after the interview the psicopedagoga made a point of bringing out our son and praising him in front of us, giving him an ego boost that he had performed well, rather than just a robotic "A pleasure," that we got from Lincoln. Dunalastair seemed to try to engage him a bit more and seemed to better understand that the kid is nervous about this move.

Obviously, six month from now I may be regretting my choice, but really, at this time of year spaces are very limited and you kind of just have to take what you can get. If you are willing to look in Chicureo or Peñalolen, there are more spaces. However, getting two kids into the same school is going to be a challenge. Get on the phone to them as soon as you can and line up interviews. The schools will stop receiving new applications by December 15, and some of them will do so beforehand, saying the end of school year is just too busy. After that they will close until February 1 or 15.

One of the schools that sounds good that did not have a space in first grade for us was Wenlock. Craighouse there have been positive reviews always, but there was no space for ours.

Of course if you have the budget there are El Nido and Grange.

I still have a google doc somewhere with the contact info / prices what have you of about 10 or 12 schools we considered (El Nido and Grange not within our budget). I'm not sure if I am able to post the link here, but you can send me a PM and I can pass you a link to the doc.

argendiense

Post by argendiense » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:08 pm

By the way -- I should explain, our child is already bilingual -- he is Argentine-Canadian. So Spanish is not an issue. However, the fact he is already bilingual is part of the reason we are not so thrilled with this whole primaria = English / secundaria = Spanish set up. For non-Spanish speaking families I can see how the system would be advantageous when making the move.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

I agree with above. Lincoln and Dunalastair was a coin toss for us. Small details made the difference but towards Lincoln.i still seem them as quite comparable.
Problem with switching later on is monetary, social, logistics and acceptance. I have heard parents talk about it, but very rarely actually do it...
Btw, from what I have heard Grange is not that much more expensive. Might be wrong as I never checked directly. Nido though is a lot more unless you are chilean

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 am

It also depends on what you plan on in the future, will you be in Chile for post secondary schooling? Will you want an IB school so there is the possibility for foreign post secondary education? These are questions that though it seems early always figure in to school choices in Chile.........

The Grange has native English speaking classes in most grades.....
It's all about the wine.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 am

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I also wanted to give some priority to English, since the Spanish will come naturally, but to be honest, what they teach here (at least in the metropolis of La Serena) is not really up to native standard anyway. The children and their classmates being exposed to it at school at an early age, however, will help ensure they are engaged enough to be able to pick it up from elsewhere. Having identified places that teach in English, I think you are right to prioritize other aspects of schooling; the 2 years more or less is a bit of a detail.