Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Post Reply
Alkazkaz
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by Alkazkaz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi everyone!

Let's just preface this discussion by saying that I am a Syrian person. I want to write this upfront because I know that having an Arab background will trigger switches in anybody's head.
I graduated med school a couple of months ago, and I have no prospects to look forward to where I stay. I spin the globe and I find Chile, and the more I read the more I like the country and the culture. It might seem like a crazy idea to anybody, but I feel that I could take the risk and move to Chile, perfect my language and study further/work legitimately with the aim of becoming a permanent resident.
How will the road be for me? Are there any restrictions based upon my nationality? Should I drop the idea altogether? Or should I persist and persistence will pay off?

Thank you

bobserb
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:30 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by bobserb » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Alkazkaz@
No problem at all.Could be much easier than you think.http://www.t13.cl/noticia/nacional/bach ... tras-miedo

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1244
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by Space Cat » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Welcome! A Syrian moved in and opened a café with awesome shawarmas a couple of years ago in our neighborhood... So definitely no nationality restrictions.

Immigrating as a doctor is harder because you need to pass exams to work as one. I heard from a German doctor that the questions are different from what he was asked back in European universities.

paladin
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by paladin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Alkazkaz wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:16 pm
Hi everyone!

Let's just preface this discussion by saying that I am a Syrian person. I want to write this upfront because I know that having an Arab background will trigger switches in anybody's head.
I graduated med school a couple of months ago, and I have no prospects to look forward to where I stay. I spin the globe and I find Chile, and the more I read the more I like the country and the culture. It might seem like a crazy idea to anybody, but I feel that I could take the risk and move to Chile, perfect my language and study further/work legitimately with the aim of becoming a permanent resident.
How will the road be for me? Are there any restrictions based upon my nationality? Should I drop the idea altogether? Or should I persist and persistence will pay off?

Thank you
Come on down, I’m sure you wont have problems in finding work.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17044
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by admin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 am

Those Syrian refugee families, spent something like two plus years having their life examined upside down and backwards. So, I would not put too much stock in that publicity stunt by the bachelet administration.

I am going to be blunt. Your going to have immigration problems. In fact, you might never even know why you were rejected. We have never ever seen anyone from a middle east country, not come under extraordinary scrutiny in the immigration process (including people with U.S. citizenship, but born in the middle east). Syria will definitely be scrutinized. in-spite of Bachelet's public attempts at painting Chile with a friendly human rights picture, there is secret / not so public, national security review system that reviews all middle-easterners applications (and a bunch of other countries). Most definitely, you will be checked by the PDI (the Chilean FBI / Boarder) police, so you really want to keep them in the loop about where you are living and what you are doing. They can stop by and check at any time where you are living.

That said, assuming you have no issues in your past to set off anyone's alarms, you are patient, play by the rules, eventually, and perhaps apply a good sense of humor to the whole process, it can be done. There are a lot of Syrians in the country, but it is not like applying for residency in Chile and being from most other countries in the World.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Rhodolite
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by Rhodolite » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 am

If you are serious about moving to Chile I STRONGLY recommend you hire an attorney to guide you through the process (and doubt you'll find better than admin's organization) and advocate on your behalf. I imagine the attorney's office will also be able to assist with organizing your certification to practice medicine in Chile simultaneous with applying for residency in Chile. It is always wiser to begin a complicated process with an attorney than to call an attorney for help after that process has gone "off the rails". Best of luck to you.

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Colorado & Puerto Varas

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by papageno » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:55 pm

...Or, there's Argentina. Lots of Syrians there, and a recent welcome mat from the government.

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by nwdiver » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:18 pm

papageno wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:55 pm
...Or, there's Argentina. Lots of Syrians there, and a recent welcome mat from the government.
Yes but they would have to learn to tango.......
It's all about the wine.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17044
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by admin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Rhodolite wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 am
If you are serious about moving to Chile I STRONGLY recommend you hire an attorney to guide you through the process (and doubt you'll find better than admin's organization) and advocate on your behalf. I imagine the attorney's office will also be able to assist with organizing your certification to practice medicine in Chile simultaneous with applying for residency in Chile. It is always wiser to begin a complicated process with an attorney than to call an attorney for help after that process has gone "off the rails". Best of luck to you.
sorry, we don't handle immigration cases from the middle-east. Basically too much corruption / instability, to make it cost effective; and they almost always end badly (e.g. basically people lying to us about where they are from, what they are doing, etc, but for mostly understandable reasons).

Not even the Chilean government seems to be able to import Syrians in a cost effective manner. They just dropped several million dollars for like 15 families to move here, and we are definitely not the U.N. refugee agency. I would have to sink several hundred thousand dollars in to building up the network required to verify documents, identities, and so on in each country; for what is really just a handful of even inquiries, let alone people that can afford our services, each year. Just does not compute.

I would have to hire people with access to both sides of the lines in Syria. Can you imagine trying to get a birth certificate from say Raqqa authenticated these days? How about who is issuing passports? We know people, that know people, that could do that sort of thing, but it would cost a small fortune for just one-off cases. I guess, if you got money, no problem; but, then there are cheaper and easier places to immigrate to around the World, if money is no problem.

So, we have a list of countries we simply do not handle (lot of Africa is on that list and a lot of south east Asia we don't do either).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17044
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Moving to Chile - A naive newb's choice

Post by admin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 pm

oww, and that is all beside the strange calls and emails we start getting from the intel agencies, anytime we even mess around with dealing with someone from the middle east. I swear for every real Syrian (insert any country in the middle east you like) that has ever contacted us, there are probably about 20 contacts from "fake" Syrians or whatever country. Some with remarkably bad middle eastern accents, and surprisingly real mid-west U.S. accents under their poor attempts at whatever accent they are trying to imitate.

I don't actually think they are intel agencies proper (they have better linguistic training programs), as much as U.S. state department interns that just can not shake their Iowa twang.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply