Archery

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Milesmcc

Archery

Post by Milesmcc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 am

I was wondering how the archery scene is in the Puerto Montt area as my family will be moving there this July. I am an avid Archer and bowhunter. Does anyone know any archery stores or rules involving archery equipment especially pertaining to hunting. I appreciate all helpful feedback. Also are pellet guns as restrictive as "guns". Thank you.

lost gringo

Re: Archery

Post by lost gringo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:36 am

While I don't know how well developed the archery scene is, archery equipment is readily available. Hunting is all on private property and is pretty much limited to feral hogs and European red deer. Red deer are mostly found on controlled, fenced private ranches and is expensive, although there are some small "wild" populations on ranches in the Patagonian Cordillera along the border with Argentina.
Most people I know who hunt do so in Argentina because it is much less restrictive and there are more varied opportunities.

As far as I know there is no public land available in the south for hunting and in my area hunting small game and birds is prohibited even on private land. Don't know what the regulations are in the north of Chile.
Air rifles and pistols are not restricted except possibly for age requirements.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Milesmcc

Post by Milesmcc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Awesome thank you very much. Very informative I appreciate it

Milesmcc

Post by Milesmcc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:20 pm

I have friends that own some property and I understand the gun laws and all the beauracratic nonsense involved with it so I was going to stick to archery and small game if allowed.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:14 pm

We all have recurve takedown bows and they see summer use, archery golf, etc.

Arrows here are expensive so we usually bring them in our luggage from US trips. I was not questioned about broadheads and related hunting tips, but they were stored in a separate location from the arrows.

Nothing much but rabbits out here south of Puerto Montt. We don't hunt - and even if we wanted to those rabbits are fast. It's recreational use only, but a good activity to get out in the sunshine.

Air rifles and light arms are covered all over this forum and the wiki.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

Milesmcc

Post by Milesmcc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Thank you I shoot recurve and longbow but all my equipment is in the states. I plan on being in Chile for some time so I was going to buy a bow when I'm there I'm ok with paying extra for it since I don't want to deal with the hassle of getting mine sent here. Thank you all for the information