Kitchen knives in checked baggage

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
papageno

Kitchen knives in checked baggage

Post by papageno » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Okay, so I'll be passing through customs < NO EMAIL > SCL Tuesday afternoon, and would like to bring some kitchen items with me. Anyone know what the rules are regarding kitchen knives? (specifically, carving knives and a cleaver) Of course, they would be in checked baggage, but it still has to go through the x ray scanner.
On both ends, but I should be able to find TSA regs (if any) on my own.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Kitchen knives in checked baggage

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:37 pm

No problem for Chile Aduanas. Shouldn't be a problem with TSA unless the screener wants to steal it. What's your routing? Consider what happens if TSA opens and does not resecure the bag and you are connecting in a shithole airport known for theft.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

papageno

Post by papageno » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:03 pm

The usual: the cheapskate LAN flight that kicks me off the plane in Lima at 00:40 for an 8 hour layover. Bags are held by LAN, I wouldn't see them between check-in at LAX and when they hit the carousel at SCL.

Just checked TSA; should be fine, though they recommend wrapping the blades.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:48 pm

If something goes missing, it may not be TSA as Lima has a bad rep. And dealing with LAN...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:25 pm

Ugh, can't recommend anything good to do at that time in Lima, except try to get access to a lounge. There aren't even sockets to recharge from in the terminal, and I think you get 30 mins of crappy WiFi for free.

There might be some delays in Lima, lots of military flights at the moment with the flooding inland (I was there last week, my plane was in a queue of 8 to take off, quite unusual in my experience).
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:42 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:If something goes missing, it may not be TSA as Lima has a bad rep. And dealing with LAN...
Or . . . he can leave the knives near the 'top' of the bag, unwrapped, as a danger to 'wandering' groper (TSA) or Peruvian fingers. jiji
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:46 am

They're buried deep along the edges, so we'll see.
For that long layover in Lima, I grab a bench behind the flight status board, and sack out. This time, I remembered to put a pillow and throw in the carry-on.
Hopefully no delays, I screwed up on the booking and have only 80 minutes in SCL to make the connection to PMC-- with 3 checked bags. PDT_Armataz_01_02

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 am

Let us know what happens. If all on the same ticket, LAN should tag through to PMC so theoretically you just deal with their bag drop line on the third level. Checkin online and print your boarding passes for SCL-PMC at T-48 hours.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am

Don't I wish: bags going to LAX from PMC are tagged to go straight through, because port of entry and final destination are the same. Coming to Chile, I have to clear immigration, retrieve the bags, go through customs, recheck the bags, then (this time) run like hell for the departure gate after running the carry-on through the screener.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 am

We all know about immigrations and customs, from other posts on FT, I have heard they will tag to PMC so if you already have your boarding pass, it should be a quick bag drop when you get out and go to the third level (as I said, let us know what happens). Saves only 5 minutes or so but could make a difference.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:50 am

You can check a gun, assuming you can legally take possession of it on arrival (i.e. you have a fire arms permit), so I don't know why kitchen knives would matter. I normally throw my pocket knife and sometimes a cigar cutter in to my checked bag. No one has ever bothered me about it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

papageno

Post by papageno » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:We all know about immigrations and customs, from other posts on FT, I have heard they will tag to PMC so if you already have your boarding pass, it should be a quick bag drop when you get out and go to the third level (as I said, let us know what happens). Saves only 5 minutes or so but could make a difference.
Third level at which airport? So far as I know, LAX has two: upper (departure) and lower (arrivals). I'm leaving out of the Tom Bradley international terminal, the LAN counter is first counter on the left. Don't have the boarding passes yet, but need to check bags anyway, also will try to purchase or wheedle a better seat assignment. While I'm there, I'll ask about checking them straight through to PMC. All they can say is "no".

And I just did check LAN Peru website, the knives should be fine.