customs agent for importing container

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
marchukav

customs agent for importing container

Post by marchukav » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:43 am

Hello Everybody

I am moving to Chile and going to send 40'' container to Valparaiso and I can not find proper customs agent that works with physical persons
Can anyone advise somebody in Chile competent in this field?

Another question is as I know there a tax exemption if cargo is below 5000usd value and you have visa temporada. What if I have visa definitiva? It does not apply? What will be the tax then?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Rhodolite

Re: customs agent for importing container

Post by Rhodolite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Reminder. When you list the contents and per item values, do so at USED prices. Used as in yard sale value, distress liquidation sale value. Not purchase price and not sentimental value. If you seal the boxes with transparent tape you will be able to tell which boxes are opened by customs because they re-seal with the cheap beige tape.

marchukav

Post by marchukav » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Rhodolite
thanks for the info! its useful.
now I need to understand how to import - to my name (visa temporaria) or my brother (visa definitiva). Where taxes will be lower and which taxes will apply in both cases.
And find competent customs agent. I have a company in Chile and we export cargo from Chile but all customs agents I know are not working with private persons, only companies.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Shipco Transport 0115624407400 was the delivery company on the Bill of Lading for a container in 2008. I can't find a broker's name; perhaps the broker was an employee of Shipco. The shipper was my U.S. business, the consignee my Chilean husband.
I have an equipment shipment with Senator International, again, no broker name and another with Cargoland Air & Ocean Cargo, no broker name. Sorry, broker info didn't make it into my folder. Also note that many shipments directed to Valpo are received in San Antonio.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Reminder. When you list the contents and per item values, do so at USED prices. Used as in yard sale value, distress liquidation sale value. Not purchase price and not sentimental value.
But surely the same valuation will then have to be used for the marine insurance, leaving you without enough money to replace everything if anything happens to the container?? You can't actually re-buy all your property at yard sale value.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Guess what? When I sent my container the rule was that unless the same company loads and ships your container the only insurance available is if the entire ship goes down and then you receive a percentage of the ship's total insurance based on the weight of your container. I recall questioning "what if" my container is crushed in transit and the shipper's response was, essentially, tough.

With respect to repurchase, it depends on how you choose to define replacement value. Replacement with an item of like condition and age -back to yard sale value - or replacement with a brand new item?

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Why do you need a broker? We moved a container from Aus without using one. We had zero problems.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:50 am

Huh. That is probably why I couldn't find a broker's name.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 am

I would have thought the company that handles things at both ends are brokers/agents of sorts.

marchukav

Post by marchukav » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 pm

jamie_m wrote:Why do you need a broker? We moved a container from Aus without using one. We had zero problems.
I am going to bring 40 feet container full of furniture, electronics, clother etc and want to get minimum customs value because of this 5000usd limit. If they will evaluate it will cost much more and I will have huge taxes. So better deal with some competent broker here.

And I found one which is really good - answered all my questions very professionally. Can recommend.

Nancy Carvajal
ncvcomercioexterior@gmail.com
+56 9 7958 5792

She does not speak english and works only with Valparaiso port

marchukav

Post by marchukav » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:12 am

Taking into account that mentioned above Nancy Carvajal works only with Valparaiso port and only for those who have visa temporaria, a couple of another customs agents for private persons were advised to me so I share the info
1.Agente de Aduana.
Sr Jaime Borie.
Fono 32 2595310
Jaimeborie@gmail.com
SPEAKS ENGLISH

2. Juan Carlos Ramos de Aguirre
Agente de Aduana
jcramos@agenciaramos.cl

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 am

I did a thread about this a while ago http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... 35&t=11678

The discussion might be worth reading for those interested in this topic.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268