Question about buying a car in Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Esteban2017

Question about buying a car in Chile

Post by Esteban2017 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi all, I have some questions about getting a driver's license and buying a car in Chile:

1. Is an Apostille stamped College Degree enough proof of an "8th grade education" or do they want something from my middle-school in the USA.

2. When you apply for a "visa subject to a work contract" I know you have that option to pay extra so you begin working while it is processing, but does that same option let you buy a car also?

3. What is the average processing time for a visa subject to work contract these days? I read 4 to 6 months recently is that accurate?

4. Miscellaneous question: I will get my college degree Apostille stamped in California soon, should I get it translated beforehand and have the translation Apostille stamped as well? How does that work: notarize the translation then get it Apostille stamped?

This stuff is confusing...I have previously lived in Bulgaria. From my experience it is best to ask a lot of questions and get everything right (or as close to right) as you can :)

A little background information: I was born in the USA with a current California Driver's license, I want to get a visa subject to work contract in Chile and work for 1-2 years there, I am hoping to be able to drive my own car as soon as possible when there.

Regards,

Esteban

admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about buying a car in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Get a temporary RUT from its when you arrive and you can buy a car.

California license will be goid for driving until you get perment residency.

Then you need to worry about a chilean license.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Maker42

Post by Maker42 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:07 pm

My experience so far, and you can probably find others' similar experiences, is that getting your college degree recognized by the drivers license authorities here is at least as hard as getting residence status.

Getting your degree legalized is not good enough for these fools, but it might still be necessary. It has to be *officially* translated and validated by the education department. I doubt getting a translation done from your country of origin will be enough for these desk dictators.

Most have said screw it, and just taken an 8th grade equivalency exam. Won't work for me because I'm not fluent enough in Spanish, but if you are, you may find this route easier.

Esteban2017

Post by Esteban2017 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Has anyone ever provided an eighth grade diploma from the USA to the driver's license authorities? Can I get some graduation certificate from my middle school in California, apostille it here, translate it in Chile and use it for getting a driver's license? That sounds crazy. Why would they want to see an 8th grade certificate of graduation and not a college degree.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:36 pm

You are learning the meaning of the phrase "because this is Chile" grassoppa. Many can't take even 3 years of it before hightailing out.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:32 pm

Esteban2017 wrote:Has anyone ever provided an eighth grade diploma from the USA to the driver's license authorities? Can I get some graduation certificate from my middle school in California, apostille it here, translate it in Chile and use it for getting a driver's license? That sounds crazy. Why would they want to see an 8th grade certificate of graduation and not a college degree.
They were going to be happy with my engineering degree, but it had to be notarosed on UK, Chilean embassy in London stamped, translated by Extrajeria in Santiago, then U. Chile gave some honoury degree, which I could use to become part of the Chilean institute of engineers, whos boss was a pleasant chap. And then I could get a driving exam.

So I saved myself £1000 and just drove on my UK license.

Only got stopped once at a check point. Carabinero didn't know the law for foreign drivers and just thought I was making his paper work complicated.

Why you can't just get an exchange license if you have an EU license I dont know. Chileans can in the Falklands.

I did 6 years before I decided you got what you paid for, the houses were cheap because they were poorly designed and built, and the same applied to other things like public transport. Then things like crime. It didn't add up for me to stay. I think coming from the UK meant I have been quite spoilt with growing up a very safe, relaxed and efficient place. A good adventure, with many a story, but for me was always too much drama and time wasting. I was working internationally so wasnt even there for that reason of work.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:
Esteban2017 wrote:Has anyone ever provided an eighth grade diploma from the USA to the driver's license authorities? Can I get some graduation certificate from my middle school in California, apostille it here, translate it in Chile and use it for getting a driver's license? That sounds crazy. Why would they want to see an 8th grade certificate of graduation and not a college degree.
They were going to be happy with my engineering degree, but it had to be notarosed on UK, Chilean embassy in London stamped, translated by Extrajeria in Santiago, then U. Chile gave some honoury degree, which I could use to become part of the Chilean institute of engineers, whos boss was a pleasant chap. And then I could get a driving exam.

So I saved myself £1000 and just drove on my UK license.

Only got stopped once at a check point. Carabinero didn't know the law for foreign drivers and just thought I was making his paper work complicated.

Why you can't just get an exchange license if you have an EU license I dont know. Chileans can in the Falklands.

I did 6 years before I decided you got what you paid for, the houses were cheap because they were poorly designed and built, and the same applied to other things like public transport. Then things like crime. It didn't add up for me to stay. I think coming from the UK meant I have been quite spoilt with growing up a very safe, relaxed and efficient place. A good adventure, with many a story, but for me was always too much drama and time wasting. I was working internationally so wasnt even there for that reason of work.
I think, Estevan2017 wrote he has a EEUU license issued in California? Does an 8vo basico attendance certificate from the US is valid in Chile?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:53 pm

I suppose it would be if it was apostilled and then translated into Spanish in Chile and taken to the Ministry of External Affairs in Santiago to be certified or legalized or whatever they call it.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:22 pm

You can take your driver's licence exam in Vina del Mar with your California licence in lieu of your education certificate.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:22 pm

The requirement is for at least 8th grade. Anything above that works too.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:48 pm

So Vina is applying common sense to the procedure? Amazing!

Here I can't use a Chilean B license I have had since 98 instead of education certificate to get my class C motorcycle.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:04 pm

So Chilean!
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.