Is the Apostille stamp recognized universally in Chile yet?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Esteban2017

Is the Apostille stamp recognized universally in Chile yet?

Post by Esteban2017 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi all,

I have tried to find this answer in the history but the last mention I saw was last year and it mentioned that since it was a brand new thing (being a party to the Hague convention) that maybe it needed more time for acceptance in Chile presumably by Extranjera(?), anyway I would like to begin collecting documents for this process, I would like to apply for the Visa por Motivos Laborales (the new one). Can anyone tell me, besides a work contract, which documents should I have. Also, is it true that you have to Apostille stamp (or legalize through the original method) every page in the passport? Can I do the translating in Chile or does that need to be translated and Apostille stamped in the US first?

Regards,

Esteban

frozen-north

Re: Is the Apostille stamp recognized universally in Chile yet?

Post by frozen-north » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Under the topic of: Moving to Chile
Legalizing Documents
admin wrote:

Just the apostil is needed, and anyone working at immigration should know that by now.

More obscure beucratic processes or offices mught still not gotten the memo, but immigration should know it by now all over the country.

http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... 24#p170151

Esteban2017

Post by Esteban2017 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Thank you.

The post you quoted states that "More obscure beucratic processes or offices mught still not gotten the memo" so does this mean I would have a problem if I have to submit my diploma to Ministerio de Educacion that it could be an issue? If you are applying for Visa por Motivos Laborales do you submit your diploma to them or to Ministerio de Educacion?

I am trying to compile a list of what I need to get the Apostille stamp on. This list below is what I came up with for the Visa por Motivos Laborales:

Supporting documents:

Birth Certificate
Baptismal Certificate
Bank Statements
Letter of reference?
College Degree
College Certificates
College Transcripts
Letter from my doctor attesting to my current state of health
International driver's license
8th grade diploma

Also, do I need to provide a “no impediment to marriage” just to prove that I have never been married?

I cannot find a definite list of what to provide at Extranjera, I have only heard people say “the more the better” so I'm guessing this is kind of up to you, what you want to provide, since really all they request is the work contract, and your passport? But does the passport have to be Apostille stamped for every page, so like 20+ stamps?

Regards,

Esteban

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Dude what is your passport nationality? Always better to apply direct with Extranjería in-country and not via the Ministry of Foreign Relations (Chilean consulate or Embassy) which you are obviously trying to do.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:40 pm

How's your Spanish? All the info can be obtained straight form the horse's mouth (relevant government website). And this is Chile, so providing too much info may have the opposite effect.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Cat got your tongue?

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Esteban2017

Post by Esteban2017 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Nowhere in my post does it state that I am trying to apply in my country of citizenship (the USA). In fact I reference Extranjera twice, so there is no reason for you to infer that. Also, there is numerous official documentation online in English. For example, http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/ingles/fi ... ingles.pdf -- but this site does not appear to specify that presenting your diploma is required, however there are countless posts here stating that people are getting their diploma legalized.

Anyone else know more about this stuff?

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:54 pm

THIS IS CHILE, NEVER USE THE ENGLISH SITE FOR CORRECT OR UP TO DATE INFO.

CHAO.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:00 pm

But then..,, the Spanish site probably isn't correct or up to date either.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 pm

I did the whole process with my university Spanish except for a little help with the PD letter. There were differences from the English and Spanish versions of both the Temp and PD applications (in my case via marriage with the Spanish version being A LOT more current than the English version (there is a date stamp on the documentation). Best bet, compare them side to side if your language skills permit and lean to the Spanish version if in doubt.

For the OP, my advice, even if your particular app does not require a uni diploma, it does not hurt to have it authenticated for the future if you end up applying for a different visa or need it for a future job or something.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:44 am

My advice is, so long as you don't mind doing the extra legwork, get every piece of paper you could possibly think you might need. Apparently rules change based on where you apply. I got a bunch of documents apostilled before I came and, right after I got here, I took a trip to Extranjeria to see what else they needed. They said, "who told you they had to be apostilled?" I said that's what I saw on the Extranjeria website and the lady said, "No. Maybe if we think your document is forged we'll ask you to get it apostilled, but we generally don't need it apostilled." I take it to mean that each office has different requirements so it might be best to be prepared to meet whatever the most stringent requirements might be. Then again, if one office doesn't accept your paperwork, maybe you try a different office in a different state and see what they say.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 am

What nationality are you and what country were you born in (two very different things for immigration)?

Birth Certificate --- not needed, unless you are under 18. In which case, your parents need to apply.
Baptismal Certificate --- really not needed
Bank Statements ---- might be needed, but not apostile
Letter of reference? ------ Which makes me ask what country you are from
College Degree ---- not needed, unless you are in a professional field
College Certificates --- not needed
College Transcripts --- not needed
Letter from my doctor attesting to my current state of health --- for what?
International driver's license -- nothing to do with immigration
8th grade diploma ---- nothing to do with immigration.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.