Newbies thinking of moving to Chile

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Britkid

Re: Newbies thinking of moving to Chile

Post by Britkid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 am

Things do seem to be going downhill in the UK - (perhaps as part of a long slow decline relative to the rest of the world that has been going on since the late 19th century??). But I don't think they are going downhill that hard or that fast. And strictly speaking more of a failure to move forward rapidly than a decline.

If your reason for considering Chile is to get away from the UK then that may be a mistake because you will find some things better here, some worse, and overall a more difficult life.

What do you want to be doing for the next 5 - 10 years? An easy life sitting in front of the tele drinking wine or beer, or waiting in a queue for hours trying to get some paperwork done so you can move on to the next problem? The things that are easy for you now, like setting up and paying for an internet connection, phone line, mobile contract and so on, and a hundred other things, become a series of little challenges because developing countries are less efficient, and things are just not what you are used to.

Your decision to come to Chile will amount to some adventure and life experience, but in return perhaps higher stress, less free time, less money and so on. Only if you're prepared to declare that you are quite happy to take huge risks, give up free time, be poorer, and suffer hassles and stresses to have a more interesting life should you consider coming out here.

If you think you are going to have a generally better quality of life here than in the UK based on the idea of sorting out how to earn money somehow after getting here, without contacts or fluent Spanish, then you are likely kidding yourself.

I have the ability to earn international money remotely and I have a Chilean wife. If neither of those things were true I wouldn't be here.

If you really want to get away from the UK work so hard for the next 10 years that you have enough money to live on in the bank until the age of 90, and then consider living abroad. That might work better. Of course, the difficulty then is that you put off the move until the point where you eventually become too old and lacking in energy or motivation to do that kind of thing, and even more worried about your health, and some family counsel you not to do it, and you never do it.

So, you want to go Chile for adventure, challenges and life experiences? Might be a good idea.

For a better quality of life? No. Not unless you have a guaranteed job with the same or better money that you have in the UK.

tomtomuk

Post by tomtomuk » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Forget it and stay the UK, a lot of the advice given here is well meaning and correct. I am 36 years old, I was in Chile at for 6 months in 2012. Surviving here is not easy for most. I did some English teaching, learned a lot here, it was a valuable experience. I am from the UK, it is one of the best countries in the world to live and work. I am here on vacation with my Chilean wife for a few weeks and I have just remember we all the things that are bad here
There are a few things I like here but not many.

Who is to say Brexit is a bad thing? The world is a mess, a sitting time bomb of debt and deficits in most developed countries. The EU will probably collapse like the USSR and being out ( like not joining the eurozone) will look a wise move.

If you find you are living in a part of the UK you don't like them move within the UK, find a nice part with lower living costs, that is not saturated like the south east is.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 pm

All depends on what you are looking for.

But the one thing that tends to make or break a move to chile is MONEY!

Then also you could pretty much say that about anywhere.

Would you recomend some one try to move to london or some other country in europe with say less than $30,000?

People try to move to chile all the time on that and less. Few make it, or at least it is a serious struggle. The irony is there are likly a lot of places in europe right now that it is cheaper to move to. Still, you need some serious skills to go cheap.

At the same time, those that make it past their first few years, for the most part do seem pretty happy.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:13 am

What Donald Rumsfeld said is quite true:
...there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
People unconsciously fill in the blanks with their own experiences from elsewhere and make all sorts of wrong assumptions.
Like people from the UK, and probably Europe expect a healthcare safety net, and that professionals will usually be honest and competent. And that legal redress is straightforward. And that you can trust strangers. And that if you treat people right, they will be nice to you in return.
Living on the defensive (as Chileans do) is the way to go.
But its all been said and discussed ad infinitum here in the past...horses to water etc.
Après moi, le déluge