Eireann

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Irishman

Re: Eireann

Post by Irishman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Jaysus - I could reap/write and sow some sorrow and happiness from poor Peig's story. The poor divil. An awfullly hard and potent introduction to Irish 13 year olds I must admit. Even I struggled with fluency. Honestly, I wouldn't permit it had I had control over Ireland's education system back in the day. I would have preferred a more gradual approach and a bit of fun whilst turning into a formality as the years progressed. Sure then my Ireland's beautiful language of spin would unravel gracefully within him'herself. However, to this day it has not changed, ehh hmmm. Kinda strange given Dublin's shrew of the biggie google/MS/FB companies hq'd there. To learn is to submerge oneself into the deep and although whilst the struggle strangles a wee bit, con tiempo, hay luz.

ps Is aoibheann liom a bheith anseo al sur en Chile.

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:04 pm

If I take the piss out of Churles anymore I might get kicked off the site. So I better behave.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:09 pm

My Irish went well until the end of primary school, then in secondary school the teaching was by a catholic fascist priest who told me that since I spoke "city Irish", I would never do well in the language.

You must feel at home in Valdivia, it's the Irish climate in reverse. Go out to Curiñanco (I still have 600m2 there) or Chaihuín if you haven't already been there.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Proinias! How dare that priest tell you that. Jaysus man, I hear ya. Ireland has a lot to fix. Sorry for you. Join the queue I'm afraid. Were you Jesuit/CB/Holy Ghost? Not that it really matters but I gladly suffered two thirds of the above. I came out the other end with a smile cos I played sports. Others were not quite so lucky. Jaysus, am I typing too much publicly? F&&K it! As much as I love my country, she has her moments. Say no more cos although my heart aches for her, I have a threshold. But really Frank/Proinias, sorry for you and our shit edu sys. I can help you though cos Curinanco is just a short spin away! We can discuss how Peig used her tampons.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Proinsias, you're missing an 's'. And I will happily go to my grave without knowing what Peig did with her tampons ;-) I'm not actually in Curiñanco, I just have 600m2 there, I'm a bit further up the coast actually :-D
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

john

Post by john » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:17 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Irishman wrote:Is annamh e a tharluint. Ma ta einne leis an Ghaeilge acu, tabhair chugham tu seoladh agus ni bheidh tu i d’aonar. Taim anseo con cabhair leat gan ‘gobshites’. Alan
hew john-san could you interpret that for the masses?
Sadly, no! :oops:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Fair play to you Gloria! Love your spirit. Jaysus, about to say a few things about English... Can we still be friends after? Ok,how about we just speak through this medium language though. Has developed well, encourages appetite and like any developing language, displays envy for their former language, Irish. Yes guys, a surprise it may be to realise that our Irish/Old Irish/Gaelic is older than the Egyptian pyramids. Before the Romans decided to put a few manners on the "Great Britain", us paddies were having a bit of crack while robbing cattle from the Welsh coast. Things went downhill after that a I am sure the tabloids have read. Another chapter!

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Worn out - my little boy is pullling at me leg. Chat on da morrow WHA!

Slan agus beannacht a chairde,

Alan

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:46 pm

FrankPintor wrote:Charles is the website owner. How did you get access to his spelling checker?
Yep, took me years of not giving a dam to develop that software.

I actually had some intensive courses in the Irish language from a couple guys from Ireland many years ago. They were school teachers back in Ireland. We were stuck in a cheap hotel in Chihuahua Mexico with only two channels of Mexican TV for three days. We drank beer until the cans were stacked to the ceiling, while they did their best to teach me. Unfortunately, the teaching method did not lend itself to remembering much, beyond I will never drink Tecate beer again.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:04 pm

john wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Irishman wrote:Is annamh e a tharluint. Ma ta einne leis an Ghaeilge acu, tabhair chugham tu seoladh agus ni bheidh tu i d’aonar. Taim anseo con cabhair leat gan ‘gobshites’. Alan
hew john-san could you interpret that for the masses?
Sadly, no! :oops:
Despite being an Irish passport holder, and a chilean resident, I have been learning Aymara here in Bolivia.
I can't get past the first few numbers though. Specifically #4 :| who knew?

http://www.native-languages.org/numbers ... umbers.htm
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Direct translation: Seldom it happens. If there is anyone with Irish, gis your address and you won't be on your own. I am here to help without the "Gobshites". Alan

Lads and lassies, I sent that on Christmas day bordering St.Stephen's day. Maybe the day after, who's counting. Was emotional with a bottle of Jimmy. I am only here close to 3 years but have/will/would/am learning loads. There are things that a paddy can get away with here given our charm and ways ;-)

For those foreign to the word "Gobshite"... a supreme idiot.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:57 am

Irishman wrote:Direct translation: Seldom it happens. If there is anyone with Irish, gis your address and you won't be on your own. I am here to help without the "Gobshites". Alan

Lads and lassies, I sent that on Christmas day bordering St.Stephen's day. Maybe the day after, who's counting. Was emotional with a bottle of Jimmy. I am only here close to 3 years but have/will/would/am learning loads. There are things that a paddy can get away with here given our charm and ways ;-)

For those foreign to the word "Gobshite"... a supreme idiot.
Back at the region v coast in a week or so. PM me and hop on the bus. I'll see if my favorite moderator can join us for a while.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes