Legalizing Documents

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Legalizing Documents

Post by admin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:08 pm

funny, i just read that email again. There is a certain relief in the text. They got to be sick of people bugging them with the stupid legalization thing too. I don't know how many millions of pesos we have wasted paying employees to stand in line at all the embassies to get this document or that document notarized (U.S. embassy never did legalization, just notarization), for no particular reason other than some bureaucrat (that did not even know what they were asking for) insisted we submit a legalized document, that they were never going to read anyway.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Just thinking about it. Between the costs and time to do legalization, and the general way it discouraged people from say doing business, or getting residency, or whatever; that single act of joining the apostle system probably just added percentage point to the GDP of Chile.

I might not even be exaggerating about that, when you take in to consideration all that legalization crap was required every time a foreign investor wanted to park some money in Chile, or take it out; or, some large copper mine needed to do a short-term currency hedge in New York. I don't think we will ever truly know the impact that stupid piece of bureaucracy had on the economy. I know it has killed at least more than a few good real estate deals we have done over the years, due to the delay it caused in getting things like powers of attorney's and other documents legalized. I am sure it has spooked / confused (just count the threads that mention legalization) foreigners about immigrating.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:54 pm

So now I just need to send those same documents to the same secretaries of state, pay the same fees, but request that the documents be apostilled instead of legalized? And once I do that, I no longer need to send it to the closest Chilean consulate?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:44 am

chesswolf wrote:So now I just need to send those same documents to the same secretaries of state, pay the same fees, but request that the documents be apostilled instead of legalized? And once I do that, I no longer need to send it to the closest Chilean consulate?
Do yourself a favor. Call the Chilean Consulate that you'll be dealing with and get exactly what they are asking you ( get the person's name that will be "advising" you). Picking up tips from forums won't do. Chile has rules, regulations and laws up to the wazoo that most times are not followed and may vary. If there's something that you don't understand, ask them again til it's clear. Making mistakes could delay the process.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Gloria wrote:
chesswolf wrote:So now I just need to send those same documents to the same secretaries of state, pay the same fees, but request that the documents be apostilled instead of legalized? And once I do that, I no longer need to send it to the closest Chilean consulate?
Do yourself a favor. Call the Chilean Consulate that you'll be dealing with and get exactly what they are asking you ( get the person's name that will be "advising" you). Picking up tips from forums won't do. Chile has rules, regulations and laws up to the wazoo that most times are not followed and may vary. If there's something that you don't understand, ask them again til it's clear. Making mistakes could delay the process.

To be fair, you can get the same answer after asking 10 times, but when you show up, you might very well be confronted with someone saying the opposite.

The smartest thing to do is to check with other people who have been through the same thing (forum) and also ask the "officials." After all, after I called the Chilean DMV 10 times with my super-gringa accent, no one bothered to suggest that I'd need my degree (which I made clear was from the US) needed to be translated until I actually showed up.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:26 pm

wiscondinavian wrote: after I called the Chilean DMV 10 times with my super-gringa accent, no one bothered to suggest that I'd need my degree (which I made clear was from the US) needed to be translated until I actually showed up.
What degree did they ask you to bring? You just need an 8th grade education so what degree you are talking about?. Obviously you were given once again the wrong information.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:28 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
Gloria wrote:

To be fair, you can get the same answer after asking 10 times, but when you show up, you might very well be confronted with someone saying the opposite.

The smartest thing to do is to check with other people who have been through the same thing (forum) and also ask the "officials." After all, after I called the Chilean DMV 10 times with my super-gringa accent, no one bothered to suggest that I'd need my degree (which I made clear was from the US) needed to be translated until I actually showed up.
I remember the last time exiting from Santiasco subway onto the street then proceeded to ask the "carabineros" for direction, every time, each different officer sent me to wrong places! You ask ten individuals, you get ten different answers ..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:54 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
The smartest thing to do is to check with other people who have been through the same thing (forum) and also ask the "officials.".
It's not as smart as you think. I do believe, those at a Consulate should have ample knowledge of the requirements needed about visas, legalization and so forth since that's the base of their work on foreign soil. On the other hand dealing with "officials" from any government office within Chile, I surely would put it in doubt but in some cases those that work there for several years they have their facts together........at least you hope so. Life experiences from those at a forum should be taken with a grain of salt. Not all situations are created equal and some are confused or totally clueless so a little common sense should go a long way.

john

Post by john » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:29 pm

Gloria wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:
Life experiences from those at a forum should be taken with a grain of salt. Not all situations are created equal and some are confused or totally clueless so a little common sense should go a long way.
Gloria, you have a unique way of getting to the nub of an issue.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Ahhh John, I'm just speaking the truth, the whole truth and nuthin' but the truth as the song goes.... :lol:

john

Post by john » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Gloria wrote:Ahhh John, I'm just speaking the truth, the whole truth and nuthin' but the truth as the song goes.... :lol:
:)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:33 am

Gloria wrote:
wiscondinavian wrote:
The smartest thing to do is to check with other people who have been through the same thing (forum) and also ask the "officials.".
It's not as smart as you think. I do believe, those at a Consulate should have ample knowledge of the requirements needed about visas, legalization and so forth since that's the base of their work on foreign soil. On the other hand dealing with "officials" from any government office within Chile, I surely would put it in doubt but in some cases those that work there for several years they have their facts together........at least you hope so. Life experiences from those at a forum should be taken with a grain of salt. Not all situations are created equal and some are confused or totally clueless so a little common sense should go a long way.
Yeah, except my consulate told me that you had to have an ongoing flight to enter Chile as a tourist (not true at the time, no idea about now).

They actually refused to validate or tell me if the information from TIMATIC was accurate or erroneous. At the time it stated:
"- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.
- Not applicable to holders of a credit card or sufficient funds to purchase a ticket, provided traveling as tourist."

They also provided me with gems such as you can't process a student visa when in Chile (definitely not true as several of my classmates did exactly that.)

So, yes, grain of salt from forumites, grain of salt from Consulates. Chilean bureaucrats are still Chilean bureaucrats even if they live in a different country.